Quantcast

help info sunday or 224

julian_dh

Monkey
Jan 10, 2005
i know these threads suck but here goes,

its the end of the season here as far as races are concerned so im gonna unload my bike anytime now and need to start thinking about what bike im going to ride next season. most likely it will be a used one.

im 18 senior-x east coast all the time and will be doing the first three canada cups as well as all my local races. im also pretty lanky guy at 5'10" 150pounds all leg and arms.

the two main sleds im thinking of are the IH sunday and the orange 224. ALTHOUGH IM OPEN TO OTHER SUGGESTIONS the sunday seems to be a very well thought out design with a killer suspension and good geometry but when comparing to the 224 i dont know if the extra hassle and weight is worth it for the gain in suspension performance and pedaling performance.

so please owners or people who have demo'd or have extensive knowledge of these bike and could tell me why or why not one or the other or reccomend something else with a good reason please.

A.P

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
boston
Id go with a 224. Ive ridden both, and the 224 is a good bit lighter, needs less maintence , doesnt use specially valved shocks. They have pretty similar geometry, both are low and slack and pretty long. The sunday has a couple more sizing options but I think at your height youd be great with the regular 224. Thats my take.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
If you come up to bromont before the end of the season you are welcome to try mine.

Next year we will be having a few demo days, either bromont or whistler hopefully.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
jonKranked said:
i've been wanting to come to bromont, its up by montreal correct? if so thats about a 8 hour hike for me
Ya it's about an hour south east of Montreal. It is pretty beat right now - rough as hell, not much dirt left on the rocks. I'd wait until next year if you are coming up from the city.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
If you're looking at race bikes, consider Morewood as well. NO, I've never ridden one but the geo seems spot on.

JAB

Chimp
Feb 18, 2004
Almost there...
I used to ride a 224 but have replaced it with a Glory (I crashed and dented the gusset by the head tube pretty bad). I wasn't unhappy with the ride caractaristics of the 224 at all, but I acctually like the the Glory more.

The 224 is a VERY fast bike. I think Transcend decribed it s light, low and slack wich i find to be a good description of the frame. I think my BB height was around 14.1 with the default shock setting and 2.7 High Rollers. I pedals great (at least with the Swinger 4-way that was on my frame) and handles big hits very nice. It's also fairly stiff. I do find it to be a little slack but thats all personal. One thing I liked was that you could ride the bike with your body fairly centerd over the bike wich is one thing the Glory dosen't like; it demands you to hang over its a$$.

The Glory has a bit steeper HA (around 66 while the 224 is like 64) and is noticably heavier. That said I feel faster on this bike for some reason. The biggest difference besides the geometry and weight is the lack of percieved brake interaction. Don't get me wrong here, one of the biggest mistakes people make with the 224 is that it is squatting alot under braking. It dosen't feel that bat at all! The Glory just feels more neutral to me under braking.
It also seems to track a bit better than the Orange. This could be due to the DHX 4.0 on the Glory wich is a WAY better shock in my opinion. My basic gripe with the 4-way was that it felt unpredictable; overdamped in some situations while underdamped in others. The Fox is way more controlled but this is old news.

Both bikes jump good but the Glory took some getting used to. Since the Glory likes to be ridden from the rear wheel it requires you to repostition your body more in the air than the Orange. It's not a bad thing but it is a difference.

Hope this helps a little.

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
originaly posted by A.P : Id go with a 224. Ive ridden both, and the 224 is a good bit lighter, needs less maintence , doesnt use specially valved shocks
the new sunday's and 224 use the same exact shock.

me personally though i would go with the sunday. i have had the pleassure of ridding one and i love them. i love the suspension design, love the low bb height, and i love the geo of the sunday. now yes you are gonna get a lighter frame with the 224, but if built right the sunday can be a light weight racer as well. tubless wheels and tires, lighter bars, stem, and guide. just a few suggestions. so good luck man and either way you go man you cant loose there both kickass race bikes.

julian_dh

Monkey
Jan 10, 2005
transcend, how do you compare the 223 to the 224 because i love my 223 and have grown very used to the way it rides but really just wanted something that pedals a bit better and has a more supple suspension.

also in the way of pedal feedback do the pedals on the 224 jump when you wack the back end down like on the 223?