Quantcast

Help lowering a fox float 100rl

freeridefool

Monkey
Jun 17, 2006
medford, or
So I decided I dont like my 100rl at full travel. So has anybody lowered one where I can still use my lockout for when I race my bike at the bmx track. Also I have never messed with an air fork so could someone give me some insight on what to expect and what to do.

fireman

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Boulder, CO
I don't have any specific experience with the F100 forks but I lowered my Float RLC to 100mm and it was quite easy. The lockout still works just the same as it did before. I would guess that a F100 is going to be the same process. I had never taken it apart before and I had no trouble with it. All the directions are on the Fox website but I can't seem to get to them at the moment so here is a link to the travel change section if you have problems with it also http://myfreefilehosting.com/f/65ca69f433_0.1MB. I reused the float fluid and fork oil because I didn't loose any. You are going to need a travel spacer, I have two 20mm spacers to drop the travel to 100mm from 140mm. I'm not sure if they come in other sizes.

Let me know if you have other questions.

freeridefool

Monkey
Jun 17, 2006
medford, or
Hey hey thank you for the info. Ive lowered previous forks and I just wasnt sure about the whole air fork thing. And with it being my only "jump" fork for now I dont want to ruin it. I think Ill tear it apart this weekend so Ill get back to you with any problems.

Is the fox float oil different than regular fork oil?

SDG

Chimp
May 24, 2007
To reduce the F100 is easy. The piston rod has 3 holes to set the 80/100 and 120mm. There is no need for spacers cause you can wack out the pin that sets the travel, put it on the sweet spot and hamer the pin back in. Remember that the amount of air will force the lowerlegs down due to the negative spring. So when you want to ride it firm for dirtjumping, maybe you have to reduce it a bit more to get on the sweet spot.

Good luck