Quantcast

help me choose a new rear wheel

bru

Chimp
Sep 9, 2001
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I'm going to need to replace my 20" rear wheel soon and am looking at my options. Right now I have a 48 spoke alex mx22 on a loose ball bearing 14mm hub. I want a cartridge bearing hub (preferably flip-flop) with a crome rim. I am trying to decide between Alex Supra-G, Demolition, or Primo Hula Hoops for rims and am having a tough time finding cheap flip-flop hubs that I could order through my shop. Should I stick to a regular hub? By that I mean are they more durable than flip-flop hubs because of the larger bearings? I definately don't want cassette but am considering going to compact drive with a 14t freewheel. Let me know your good and bad experiences with hubs. I don't think I could go wrong with any of those rim choices

axel

Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
conway, ma
why dont u want cassette? i have mosh cassette hub now on a sun big city rim and am lovin it, before that i had alex supra e rim with poverty hub, and the new wheel blows the alex away. at danscomp, theve got a haro casette on heffer rim for 160, that looks nice, if you are that set against cassette, then primo,mutiny and demolition and oddyssey all make nice hubs, for rims, id say oddyssey, primo or sun, the demolitions loook nice, but ive never ridden em, nor talked to anyone who has em, so i wouldnt know.

Ir Dan

Monkey
May 22, 2002
Orange County
ODDYSEY hazard flip flop hup laced to an ODDessy hazard lite or normal rim. hoffman highrollers are really tough and pretty cheep though dans, i run the hazard hub and it kicks ass, four sealed bearings 14mm axle, i run the downdrive with it and it works perfect( better for me because i run right side pegs and i break mad sprockets and the 36 that i have is still really good and so it the chain. ODDYSEY:)
sorry that i cant spell:(

bru

Chimp
Sep 9, 2001
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I am against getting a cassette for several reasons. The price of many of the cassette hubs scares me away. Plus it's nice to know if I trash my freewheel, I can be back up and running in minutes for 10 bucks. I found I can get a Primo SOB/Hula Hoop wheel for cheap so I think I will go for that, even though it isn't flip flop.

axel

Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
conway, ma
if you shop around, you can find a casette hub for fairly cheap,, and just get one of those freewheel protectors for like 5-10$, and you wont have to worry about breaking it.

monkeyboy424

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
Place
they do cost a lot, and i heard if you wanna do grinds and stuff like that, they only come with a HOLLOW 14mm axle or a solid 3/8 axle so go with a normal hub..... it will last longer, and it is cheap! ok thats it from me...
:D :cool: :)

axel

Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
conway, ma
Originally posted by monkeyboy424
they do cost a lot, and i heard if you wanna do grinds and stuff like that, they only come with a HOLLOW 14mm axle or a solid 3/8 axle so go with a normal hub..... it will last longer, and it is cheap! ok thats it from me...
:D :cool: :)
no, you can get casettes with a regular 14mm axle.

jodysbike

wheel man
Oct 11, 2001
Dune
If you are on a budget ask your local shop about Bullet Proof Hubs from a place called J & B Importers. You could have one laced to one of the rims you want. Not super hubs but half the price of comparible brand name hubs.
The 48 hole, 14mm Axle, High Flange,Sealed Bearing hubs are even made in the same factory in asia as the Primo SOB. Not as good a bearing but you can change that to a better one when it wears out.
If you have the cash get something nice for the back. That's where it counts.
Look real close at Taj's bikes. When he lived here in Olympia I noticed he rode a smooth Profile SS Cassette hub and some cheap tiwan loose ball thing on the fron't.
The back is what takes the pounding. Don't skimp on it!

bru

Chimp
Sep 9, 2001
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Originally posted by jodysbike

If you have the cash get something nice for the back. That's where it counts.
Look real close at Taj's bikes. When he lived here in Olympia I noticed he rode a smooth Profile SS Cassette hub and some cheap tiwan loose ball thing on the fron't.
The back is what takes the pounding. Don't skimp on it!
Yeah, that's the way I see it too. I ended up picking up a Primo SOB wheel. I know the Primopro will last longer but who knows whether I will want to go compact drive in a year or two. I chose the thrifty route and saved some money. Now I finally have great brakes (tech 77, hombres, pervert, shift housing and a homemade london mod) and my rear hub doesn't come out of adjustment every second ride. I still use the crappy no-name, singlewalled, loose-bearing wheel up front with no problems since I only run a rear brake.

I'm glad I saved some money on the rear wheel because my unsealed caged-bearing bottom bracket just crapped out on me. I was repacking it with grease when I noticed the cups were cracked in several spots and the bearing surfaces were really messed up. So now I am in search of a new sealed tubular crankset that won't break the bank. Suggestions please, especially ones I can get from Canadian distributors through my shop

jodysbike

wheel man
Oct 11, 2001
Dune
Originally posted by bru

So now I am in search of a new sealed tubular crankset that won't break the bank. Suggestions please, especially ones I can get from Canadian distributors through my shop
Maybe FSA!

bru

Chimp
Sep 9, 2001
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Originally posted by jodysbike

Maybe FSA!
Yeah, their stuff is as nice as profile but also a little pricy. They have a cheaper sealed 3-piece crank that I am looking into but I will probably end up getting some Snafu 4130 cranks. They seem to be the most bang for the buck for what is available to me, plus I like pinch-bolt systems over 48 spline press-fits (profile, fsa, solid...)

jodysbike

wheel man
Oct 11, 2001
Dune
Originally posted by bru

Yeah, their stuff is as nice as profile but also a little pricy. They have a cheaper sealed 3-piece crank that I am looking into but I will probably end up getting some Snafu 4130 cranks. They seem to be the most bang for the buck for what is available to me, plus I like pinch-bolt systems over 48 spline press-fits (profile, fsa, solid...)
Primo?

bru

Chimp
Sep 9, 2001
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I love primo stuff but am weary of using any crank that isn't tubular cromoly on my bmx. Both because I am not the smoothest 185lb rider and my cromo cranks are already really ground up at the pinch bolts. I don't want to think how fast an aluminum arm would grind away or twist. Thanks for the suggestions though

bru

Chimp
Sep 9, 2001
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Well, since you and several other people assured me they wouldn't twist, I ordered some today. The grinding I could live with since I never intentionally crankslide. All previous damage has been from grinds gone bad. I have been thinking of taking my pegs off lately anyways. Plus the price can't be beat. Thanks jodysbike