Quantcast

Help me convert!

01tj

Chimp
Oct 28, 2007
Fairmont WV
I am planning on getting a new 29er next season and converting my old GT to a SS. It is a 94 modle and I think that is probubly the best rt. because the drivetrain can't have much more life in it. What recommendations do you have? Or what all will I need? I know these are pretty basic questions but I am a noob when it comes to single speeds

Here is the bike

http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/BikeSpecs.aspx?ItemID=15147&Type=bike

and a 10 year old pic of me on the bike

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
You'll need a single chainring up front (most people go with a 32 or 34 tooth ring), a single cog in the back (this varies depending on a lot of things, but it seems like something between a 16tooth and 20tooth is the norm), and more than likely you'll need a chain tensioner. You'll also want a decent chain, and that should be about it. Most people run a bash guard up front, but they aren't necessary.

01tj

Chimp
Oct 28, 2007
Fairmont WV
You'll need a single chainring up front (most people go with a 32 or 34 tooth ring), a single cog in the back (this varies depending on a lot of things, but it seems like something between a 16tooth and 20tooth is the norm), and more than likely you'll need a chain tensioner. You'll also want a decent chain, and that should be about it. Most people run a bash guard up front, but they aren't necessary.

Thats cool, I thought I had to replace the crank too. What do most of you do with your brake levers? Just disconnect the wire or do you get new levers?

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Brake levers? I'm not sure I'm following you... I left my brake setup the same, just removed the shifters/cables/derailleurs.

Are you thinking/talking about running a fixed gear?

01tj

Chimp
Oct 28, 2007
Fairmont WV
Brake levers? I left my brake setup the same, just removed the shifters/cables/derailleurs.

Are you thinking/talking about running a fixed gear?

Thats what I was asking but I think my shifters are part of the brake lever assembly. I'll double check though. No fixed gear for me though, I don't think i would survive in the woods with that set-up

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
There are a lot of variables. Basically, in order to keep the chain on, tension on the chain has to be enough to keep it from "bouncing" off in rough sections of trail. Once you get your bike setup with a front chain ring and a rear cog, there is a certain length chain you need to wrap around those gears and stay tight (that length is dependent on the gearing you choose and the length of your chainstays). The length of the chain can be adjusted by adding and removing links, but often you need "finer" adjustments than what you can get by removing links.

For example, say for the sake of this conversation that chain links are 1/2" long. You setup your bike with chain ring and cog and need a chain that is 29 1/4" in length. Since links are 1/2" long, you can make your chain 29" (too short) or 19 1/2 (too long). So what you end up doing is making it 29 1/2" and adding the tensioner to effectively take up the slack.

Some bikes (usually ones that are meant to be run as SS) have what are called sliding dropouts. This allows you to move the rear wheel forward or back so you can fine tune the bike for chain tension.

It's kind of hard to explain without being able to show you on a bike... did that make any sense?