Quantcast

Help me decide (disc brake)

oxygen_77

Monkey
Sep 20, 2003
Kent, WA
So as some of you may know, I've recently built up my new bike. The fork is a Manitou Sherman 80mm jumper with a 74mm spaced post mount. This is somewhat bad news as I had hoped to use my International Standard Magura Gustav M caliper on this fork. I've looked up the price to buy the post mount adapter for the Gustav M and it's $94.00. Seems a bit pricey to me so I'd like your suggestions...

First, here are my requirements for my front brake:
Can be locked-up with moderate pressure from one finger. Mounts to a 74mm post mount. Doesn't send me to the poorhouse when I buy it.

So should I look for some other brake or should I go with the adaptor? Your help is appreciated.

oxygen_77

Monkey
Sep 20, 2003
Kent, WA
ChelanDHer said:
http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/11297-115_A2ZDB1-3-Parts-158-Brakes/Disc/A2Z-Disc-Brake-Adapter.htm

That's all you need bro! And Pricepoint kicks ass, I order everything from them. Service is excellent, shipping is fast and cheap, and no tax!
Yeah, that's a pretty good deal for those adaptors, but I would need a 20-25mm larger rotor if I used that and I'm currently running a 190 up front. That means I would need a 210-215mm rotor which when combined with shipping bumps the cost up.

Maybe I'll try the E-Bay route, but I never have any luck with them.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions... I've gathered from the posts that I probably won't find a brake that works as well as the Gustav M's so I guess no matter what I'll have to just get some sort of adapter.

ChelanDHer

Monkey
Jan 6, 2004
Lynnwood, WA
Well, think of it this way, at least you'll have an 8" front rotor. It'll be worth it, trust me. That adaptor + $35 for a new rotor is still alot less than $95, but if you can find something to adapt to your current rotor you could do that as well.

oxygen_77

Monkey
Sep 20, 2003
Kent, WA
ChelanDHer said:
Well, think of it this way, at least you'll have an 8" front rotor. It'll be worth it, trust me. That adaptor + $35 for a new rotor is still alot less than $95, but if you can find something to adapt to your current rotor you could do that as well.
The only place I've been able to find a 210mm rotor is through Magura and it costs $64.00. Do you know of another place that sells 210's? All 8" rotors are 203mm.

iridebikes

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
seattle
I'd suggest a 7" avid BB7, or if you're used to the power of your gustav, then go with an 8" BB7. Awesome brakes and super powerful. I've run many different variations(7",6",8" front and rear, as well as the 8" juicy 7's but the bb7 is more powerful)

oxygen_77

Monkey
Sep 20, 2003
Kent, WA
iridebikes said:
I'd suggest a 7" avid BB7, or if you're used to the power of your gustav, then go with an 8" BB7. Awesome brakes and super powerful. I've run many different variations(7",6",8" front and rear, as well as the 8" juicy 7's but the bb7 is more powerful)
Thanks for the info., I'll definately check out those BB7's.

Badmunkey - are you sure you could handle the AWESOME power of the Gustav's???? I think they would snap that STP into little pieces ;)

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
Man, I had no idea Magura adaptors were so spendy...I think I'll stick with my Hopes dang!!!

Like byo said, you can get Juicy5 for about a 100 a wheel...I would go that route for the price.

iridebikes

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
seattle
Thanks for the info., I'll definately check out those BB7's.
I'll be at the bike show this weekend with both my dirt jumper(6"bb7 on the back) and my trials bike doing the demo(7" bb7 up front) if you want to check either one of them out to see what they're like... or we could just go ride sometime... that always works too! haha

oxygen_77

Monkey
Sep 20, 2003
Kent, WA
iridebikes said:
I'll be at the bike show this weekend with both my dirt jumper(6"bb7 on the back) and my trials bike doing the demo(7" bb7 up front) if you want to check either one of them out to see what they're like... or we could just go ride sometime... that always works too! haha
I'm pretty booked up this weekend so I don't think I can make it to the bike show (although I'll try). Best bet would probably be going riding sometime... you're working over by the UW right? Maybe we could meet up over there sometime.

iridebikes

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
seattle
you're working over by the UW right
No, I work in Ballard. However, there's talk of a ride at UW this thursday. Anyone's invited. Probably meeting up around 7:00 or so in red square. Going from there. Not sure exactly what we're looking to ride, but it should be fun. Hopefully not too terribly cold.

oxygen_77

Monkey
Sep 20, 2003
Kent, WA
Well, here's what has happened with my brake situation. I traded my Magura Gustav M's for a set of Hayes 9's with 8" rotors. So far the Hayes seem to be able to handle my needs and if I do ever decide to go for the Avid BB-7's I've got all the mounting brackets ready to go so I could have BB-7's with 8" rotors :)

RFR

Chimp
Dec 19, 2005
Los Banos
Actually I have to run beside his bike to help him stop. That was the only way I could get the deal done...

oxygen_77

Monkey
Sep 20, 2003
Kent, WA
largextracheese said:
I hope he threw in some cash and a stick to throw in your wheels to stop!! Just kidding. :)
DOH! I knew I should've asked for the stick!!! ;)

Having RFR run beside my bike to help me stop seems to be working out just fine though :D

Five

Turbo Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
West Seattle, WA
oxygen_77 said:
Well, here's what has happened with my brake situation. I traded my Magura Gustav M's for a set of Hayes 9's with 8" rotors. So far the Hayes seem to be able to handle my needs and if I do ever decide to go for the Avid BB-7's I've got all the mounting brackets ready to go so I could have BB-7's with 8" rotors :)
I can't believe you got rid of the Gustav's

oxygen_77

Monkey
Sep 20, 2003
Kent, WA
Five said:
I can't believe you got rid of the Gustav's
Well, it came down to a matter of money. I don't have enough to support keeping the Gustav's so I figured I'd pass them on to someone who'll actually use them for downhill.