Quantcast

help me find trails in the bay!

Nov 7, 2008
ive lived in the east bay for about 3 years but im just now getting back into riding dirt. so far i have only been to shell ridge and tilden but i dont know what trails to ride at tilden or anywhere else.

what are some trails i should check out and what trails should i avoid getting tickets?

im a big fan of singletrack and trails with great views. i ride a rigid 29er so big crazy drops and stuff need not apply. thanks for any input!

Nov 7, 2008
im checking out joaquin miller either tomorrow or saturday... or both if i can find the time.

any trails at either park that you suggest? im not afraid of a climb and would rather take a longer rolling ride than a short downhill. ~10-15 miles or more total is nice for an afternoon ride.

thanks!

jerkyspace

Chimp
Jul 8, 2007
One of the best singletrack rides in the east bay is going up through Dimond Canyon in Oakland...ride a short street connection...and then ride up through Joaquin Miller Park and back:

http://www.sausalcreek.org/pdf/Sausal_Trails_Map.pdf

After riding through Dimond Park from Fruitvale Ave: from Benevides Street take Old Canyon trail up through Dimond Canyon along the ridge and then down to the creek and up the switchbacks to Bridgeview (left heading toward the hills). Take that to the end and descend the stairwells and follow the trail out to Monterey or Mountain Blvd (either side of HWy13 go right out of Dimond).

Follow either on a short street ride to Joaquin Miller road (left from both). Go up that and head into JMP on the left via Bishops Walk or Sanborn Drive (stay on left side of JM road and sidewalk turns into psuedo singletrack). Ride up the lower canyon from Bishops Walk via Sinawik (grunt) or follow Sanborn drive to the Rook (browning monument) and descend down Sinawik Loop towards the meadow and head down again on Sinawik to the Cabin and at the bridge ride up middle Palos Colorados and switch over to Sinawik again out to the big meadow.

Climb out of the canyon up Sunset to $2 hill at the junction of Sequoia Bayview. Go Left there on SBV after puking your lung out from the climb and follow to the end at the horse arena or where it hits Chaparral. Left on Chappy for short gnar downhill or right and up through the horse arena to the parking lot area.

This is the loop point: Full run down Chappy to Sunset or run down Cinderella to Sunset or pedal a bit to Castle Park and down to Sunset. You can do a quick out and back on Sunset towards Castle Drive (ends there). Or go the other direction from the top of the park and ride Big Trees parallel to Skyline and then go down upper Palos Colorados to Harold Ireland and the Sunset "ridge" loop. Going this direction, you can also do a short loop and go down the other section of Big Trees to SBV (near Orchard trail). Redwood park is right across the street for even more riding and Skyline Drive in either direction leads to all sorts of options.

All these JMP runs should bring you to middle Palos Colorados via Sunset on your way back down and out (or up Sunset to $2 hill and take another loop route). You can take MPC legally to the cabin. From there its up the other section of Sinawik from the bridge to the Lookout Point and down Bishops Walk or further on Sinawik.

Both ways bring you back to Round Table Pizza shopping center at HWY13/Joaquin Miller Road. Then go down Monterey or Mountain and then back out through Dimond Canyon. When you come back on Old Canyon you can take a more technical exit to the left down to the creek before the end onto Dimond Canyon trail (instead of exiting on Benevides this puts you on El Centro across from the park).

You can extend this so many ways to all the good spots in the hills from Tilden, Redwood to Chabot direction...day or night. Enjoy the ride with respect and smarts...sensitive areas so don't mess things up for the locals who are so nice to share...

ride on

Last edited:

guney

Chimp
Jun 18, 2010
If you don't mind a minor plug, I just have to refer you to the new website I recently launched:

http://bayarearides.com

It's all about finding trails and learning about each one. I think any rider with a question like the OP will find plenty of answers there.