Quantcast

Help me Lighten the Giant!

Metelhead

Chimp
Aug 25, 2009
Ok- I just jumped head first into 29er world with the new Giant XTC2 29er...now to start with I should have gone with the XTC1 in hindsight...but I had no idea I was going to be bitten(that and I just dig the color scheme of the "2" much more than the 1).

I'm 6'2" 210 and I have the XL size and for the first time every I finally found a bike that fits me to a tee right out of the box- in addition I can't get over how well this bike handles from top to bottom- its stunning- and I never thought I would say that about a Hardtail..I have Pivot Mach 5 as my 26er and its dreamy in its own right, but I honestly think the Xtc handles better and I'm not sure where one starts and the other takes over at this point(this could simply be the honeymoon effect talking)...anyway

Here what I would like to do now that I own the new toy.....make it lighter...in broad strokes as much as possible with keeping with the color scheme..in other words if its Black or Ti lookin I'm in!

It now sits about 29lbs aprox.- not bad, but could be better!

Here my short list of where to start.....but I need your help in which is the best performance to weight to cost with keeping with the current handling...so please feel free to speak up: Wheels are likely the thing that may stay static, unless I hear a very good argument otherwise.. oh budget, well tally up the list to start with...

****upgrades currently are Block 8's F&R and Easton MB riser 70***

Cranks/BB:
Deraileurs:
Brakes:
shifters:
seat:
others:

thanks
Josh

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
You might want to re-think and possibly start at the wheels and work your way to the other stuff after that. Just another way to think about this whole lightening project.

Cheers,

Mark

Metelhead

Chimp
Aug 25, 2009
Ok- I can consider wheels- what would you suggest?

Anyone have the spec sheet link for the XTC 29ers, I have been searching the net and haven't found anything yet....

Jul 9, 2009
Michigan
I would say for the biggest gains change the crank and wheels. Then maybe the fork? Remember, lighter is not always better. What does the 2 weigh? Who cares what the scale says really. How does it feel when riding? My XTC 1 is 26.2 and while a couple lbs lighter would be cool. It wont make a difference worth $500 - $1000 it will cost for wheels and cranks. Ride it this year and get some cranks off ebay and get some sweet wheels built up. Hadley hubs with some Stans flow rims would be nice! Get up some pics of the 2! What is the color really look like? Brushed alum or paint? ---Mike

Metelhead

Chimp
Aug 25, 2009
Good points Mike....I gotta do the cranks/bb, shifter- as I have been spoiled with XT or better on all other rides and this deore stuff just doesn't have the crispy crisp to it....this thinking is what made me start this thread to begin with---arrgg! lol!

Here are some snaps with my crappy cell-...and yes its a brushed finish- no paint- in person it just looks race fast too!

Attachments

Metelhead

Chimp
Aug 25, 2009
Ok...I'm thinking of going with the Arch/ZTR wheels, XT cassette, and R1 rotors,tubeless to lighten up the wheels