Quantcast

Help me pick a bike

mrbigisbudgood

Strangely intrigued by Echo
Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC
Any suggestions?

I sold my Superlight, and have no XC bike as of now. Since I've comitted to doing the Shenendoah 100, I need a bike.

Full suspension for sure. I'm thinking Scalpel, but I'm not a huge fan of Cannondale. NRS is another that seems sweet for the application. Epic technology is too new.

Keep in mind, I don't want to drop major cash. Granted, I'd love to pilot another Superlight (awesome 24 hour bike) or an Ellsworth or another botique, but I just don't want to drop the cash.

Heidi, don't say Titus........

sub6

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
williamsburg, va
My choices would be Trek Fuel/GF Sugar, FSR Stumpy (i guess a 2002 for that one, dunno if the epic killed the fsr-xc), NRS, although not necessarily in that order. Any of those would undoubtedly keep your ass happy.

I'm not too sold on the Canny, what with the bankruptcy filing and all....

ARmtnBIKER

Chimp
Apr 10, 2002
The Natural State
I was going to suggest the Kona King Kikapu but I just looked at the price of the '03 models and they are $4000, I have a '02 that I got back in August and only paid $2300 for it, which I thought was an unbelievable deal with the XT/XTR drivetrain, Race Face turbine cranks, Mavic tubless wheelset and Marzocchi Marathon S fork. I guess all the '03 XTR stuff raised the price a bit, but its still a very nice long distance XC bike. Thats the whole reason I bought mine, was so I would have a bike to do some 12/24 hr events on.

Of course if I would of seen this Pacific Arrow beauty first I would of bought it, I can just imagine since it has that "SHIMANO" decal on the chainstay's that it has to carve the single track like a dream... :D

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I was gonna mention the King Kikapu as well, a buddy of mine has one. He bought the frame and built it up though. Sweet ride :thumb:

mrbigisbudgood

Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC
Originally posted by Echo
I was gonna mention the King Kikapu as well, a buddy of mine has one. He bought the frame and built it up though. Sweet ride :thumb:
4K.....no thanks

I'm looking more in the 2K to 1.5K range.

Special ed FSR Disc, $1600.
:thumb:

Did y'all know Gary Fisher was making 29" Sugars?

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Originally posted by mrbigisbudgood
4K.....no thanks

He certainly paid a lot less than 4K... like I said he just bought a frame and built it up.

I wonder why nobody else makes 29" bikes? :D

mrbigisbudgood

Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC
Originally posted by Echo
He certainly paid a lot less than 4K... like I said he just bought a frame and built it up.

I wonder why nobody else makes 29" bikes? :D
With me being a full 5'6", I'd loose a nut trying to get over the back of the bike with a 29" wheel.

ARmtnBIKER

Chimp
Apr 10, 2002
The Natural State
4K.....no thanks

Actually you can get a plain kikapu for 1500, thats with Deore/XT components, Fox float R shock, Marz MX Comp fork and disc brakes. The Deluxe kikapu is 1900 and has the Fox Float L, LX/XT components and Marz MX Pro... Then it jumps up to 4 grand for the King... if you could possibly find an '02 that a shop still has it would be well worth it...

that whole loosing a nut on the 29" wheel thing sounds like it could be painful... :p

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
I think you should definnently look into a scalpal alot of people hate cannondales until they buy one and they never look back. I've talked to all sorts of people with scalpals and everyone seem to really like them. Besides you see Tinker riding his to win epic 100 and loads of solo 24 hours so it must be good how many people do you see riding NRSs winning 24 hours?

Oct 2, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I have heard a lot of people complain about the scalpels. I would recommend either a Gary Fisher Sugar or Trek Fuel. I raced a Sugar for 3 years and have a Fuel now. Both are good bikes. I have a friend who has a NRS and likes it, but it takes a lot to get it adjusted right.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
ok, the scapel isn't all that great........something about the rear ends, i know they had a few problems w/ the bonding processes and a few of them seperated.....don't be to scared by the 29 inch wheels. the concept wasn't Fisher's they just brought it to the main stream, a few small companies were making them like willitis n a few Ti builders. the concept works pretty damn well, got a buddy of mine who is pro who told us that if an good aluminum hardtail came out w/ the 29 he'd ride one in a heart beat. main problem w/ the 29er is the lack of suspension forks, however i do know that you are hyped up on the marz and they are currently the only company offering suspension forks for those frames. if you wish to go rigid there are more then a handful of companies who can make you a rigid fork. the fuel and the sugar are pretty nice bikes, don't be afraid to go w/ either one of those choices, as well as the FSR. which is far from dead, those are really nice bikes and Specialized stocked those bikes pretty well this year.

mrbigisbudgood

Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC
I agree on the Scalpel with both of you. Cannondale makes some awesome race bikes, light, stiff, fast. But the bonded carbon rear triangle just scares me. Plus, you never get as much bike for the money with Cannondale.

I'm not big on the Fuel/Sugar, I've seen too many break under normal XC use. I'm also not a big fan of flexing aluminum. I'm an engineer, aluminum doesn't have the cycle life of steel or Ti, which means after X amount of stress cycles, it will fail.

NRS......I like them. My bro in law has one, got it to replace his hardtail and loves it. I like the theory behind the suspension and the setup of. NRS2 is the one I would be after.

FSR.....Like indieboy said, it's not dead technology yet. Proven. Been around a while so the bugs could get worked out. Great value. Stumpjumper FSR Disc is the bike I'm currently aiming to buy.

I've also thought about buying a bare bones Superlight. I loved mine. The Superlight R can be had for around 1600 w/o discs. 1900 with. It's the low end spec that bothers me and I'd end up blowing about 3500 when all is said and done replacing parts.

I hate bikes. Too damn many to choose from. :D

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
I agree on the Scalpel with both of you. Cannondale makes some awesome race bikes, light, stiff, fast. But the bonded carbon rear triangle just scares me. Plus, you never get as much bike for the money with Cannondale.

I'm not big on the Fuel/Sugar, I've seen too many break under normal XC use. I'm also not a big fan of flexing aluminum. I'm an engineer, aluminum doesn't have the cycle life of steel or Ti, which means after X amount of stress cycles, it will fail.

NRS......I like them. My bro in law has one, got it to replace his hardtail and loves it. I like the theory behind the suspension and the setup of. NRS2 is the one I would be after.

FSR.....Like indieboy said, it's not dead technology yet. Proven. Been around a while so the bugs could get worked out. Great value. Stumpjumper FSR Disc is the bike I'm currently aiming to buy.

I've also thought about buying a bare bones Superlight. I loved mine. The Superlight R can be had for around 1600 w/o discs. 1900 with. It's the low end spec that bothers me and I'd end up blowing about 3500 when all is said and done replacing parts.

I hate bikes. Too damn many to choose from. :D
good job, someone's smart!!! aluminum in my opinion just doesn't really cut it. hearing this from you, maybe you might want to think about getting a well made steel hard tail, espically since you don't want to drop the dough on a Ti bike. there are a lot of companies that offer extremely nice steel hard tails. personally i think an Fs bike is not required if you have a well made steel or ti bike.......

mrbigisbudgood

Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC
Originally posted by indieboy
good job, someone's smart!!! aluminum in my opinion just doesn't really cut it. hearing this from you, maybe you might want to think about getting a well made steel hard tail, espically since you don't want to drop the dough on a Ti bike. there are a lot of companies that offer extremely nice steel hard tails. personally i think an Fs bike is not required if you have a well made steel or ti bike.......
Can you get me a good deal on a steel IF?

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Originally posted by indieboy
good job, someone's smart!!! personally i think an Fs bike is not required if you have a well made steel or ti bike.......
While a relatively small number of racers, like the top experts and most pros, are faster on a HT, the majority of mountain bike racers, especially in an endurance race, are faster and can ride longer on a FS bike. I for one know beyond a shadow of a doubt that I am significantly faster on a FS bike, and I get much less fatigued over a long course. Just remember not everyone is racing at your level when you make a recommendation like that ;)

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Can you get me a good deal on a steel IF?
wish i could :( you may want to email them and see if some of the demo bikes from IB are left over (doubt that they might be) and see what type of deal they'd be willing to help you out w/ on one of the demos......? just an idea.....retail for them now i think runs at 13 or 14, not exactly sure. they raised the price on the retail price but are offering all the custom options that you would have had to of paid for before into the cost of the frame. so if you want to disc brake drop outs w/ custom geometry you are set. or whatever little options you want like no brake bosses if you go w/ disc, and rack mounts or whatever. the only thing not included is custom paint, that you still have to pay for.......there are a ton of stock paints and you get a choice of any 2 colors w/ a fade from pretty much any direction or if you want just a single stock color you have that option as well.

mrbigisbudgood

Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC
What about the Iron Horse Hollowpoint Expert @ Supergo. $1600, Hayes Hydros, FULL XT, Fox front and rear, easton post stem bar. Seems like a hell of a deal.

here

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Looks good except it's backordered. Which means, if they say it will be a week, you might get it in time for the race in August. :monkey:

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Any suggestions?

I sold my Superlight, and have no XC bike as of now. Since I've comitted to doing the Shenendoah 100, I need a bike.

Full suspension for sure. I'm thinking Scalpel, but I'm not a huge fan of Cannondale. NRS is another that seems sweet for the application. Epic technology is too new.

Keep in mind, I don't want to drop major cash. Granted, I'd love to pilot another Superlight (awesome 24 hour bike) or an Ellsworth or another botique, but I just don't want to drop the cash.

Heidi, don't say Titus........
Those Ironhorse Hollowpoints are lookin mighty sweet.
Waiting for mine to be delivered. Once it is, I'll try to post a review.

Wolfspyder

Chimp
Feb 3, 2003
RVA
I ordered a Jamis Dakar XLT 2.0. Similar to the hollowpoint in specs.
XLT2.0
I have to wait for Fox to catch up with orders for their forks though, the store had other frame sizes in, just not the 21" at the time. Bicycle blow out $1899 and don't have to pay shipping/tax.

If it gets here and you are still looking you'd be welcome to take it for a spin. Wish I liked Conte's in Richmond or I would have checked to see if they eventually carried them.

Gyro

Chimp
Mar 4, 2002
Slatyfork, WV
Originally posted by NRSracer
http://www.giantbicycles.com/us/030.000.000/030.000.000.asp?lYear=2003&bikesection=8817&range=107&model=10644

NRS 2, or if you want tubeless, NRS 1

if you're looking for really good parts, go 2 or higher, mine was an NRS 3 but now it prettty much has the same parts as an NRS1.
It's always puzzled me why giant doesn't put v-brake bosses on their higher NRS models. Disk brakes have their place in cross country, but the NRS's main market is cross-over hardtail riders, so why not have the option to tempt them with light weight?

NRS3 frames have v-brake bosses, do they not?

kinda off topic, and I don't mean to hi-jack the thread or anything

If i were in the market for a full sus. bike for endurance racing, I would definatly look at some rocky mountains. They have a line for this purpose, and this years line is looking really promising with the ETS's.

Heck, they won the Transalp on it.

edit: added the model name (ETS)

NRSracer

Jamis Slayer
Sep 7, 2001
Baltimore
Originally posted by stoney98
If you order a nrs frame only, you get 2 swingarms one disc, one vee.

I really suggest the NRS frames. I've spent alot of time on other peoples XC bikes, and the NRS just seems like the best bike for the buck. Even if you get it frame only, you can still build up and awesome XC bike for cheap.
If i was into XC, I'd be riding a NRS. (Or a yeti as-r if I could afford it)
They give two seperate rear triangles? i coulda used that deal back when i was snapping Jamis's.

But yeah, NRS 3 frames (mine at least) come with both mounts.