Quantcast

help me pick a new direct-mount stem and bars

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
In light of recent events, I'm in need of a new direct-mount stem and riser bars for my dh bike. Not gonna buy anything from Sunline, and not a fan of the e13 direct-mount stem (is this statement gonna get me banned?), but other than that, please throw out suggestions. Considering Truvativ Holzfeller, Point One, Gravity... what else is there?

For bars, I'm thinking the new Truvativ BooBar looks pretty sweet. Also digging the Gravity Light bars. Not gonna go with carbon, and not gonna go with Funn bars cuz they're too damn heavy. Nothing narrower than 28", and needs to be a low rise (1" or less).

Fire away!

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
EA70 for bars. Never looked anywhere else, never had any need to! Light, "normal" width, not too spendy, good name behind them, nice shape, and personally never bent/snapped any (not that I have any other bar though!) Only 27" though.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
PO1NT for the stem, and my new Reverse flat bars look cool, and feel okay(I think, not ridden them yet, different angle to the nickel wides I also got(touch heavier). If you don't want flat bars, I'd get dirty 30s.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Judging by the fact that he had twennynine-five bars, i doubt he's gonna wanna go narrower. Also, 29"+ is the new "normal" width.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I dig my kore bars in feel, but they're a knuckleslamming 31.5" or 800mm. They might be heavier than others, but you can get em for 50 bucks.

As for the stem, I have an e13 and I agree that there are more attractive stems out there. The rise is a bit more than others, and I hate the split design....just more to come loose and squeek or separate....I'd rather have a solid stem. The clamps are super close to each other...in other words, there isn't much room to clamp together. I'm not a huge fan of the reach either, but honestly, the stem is dead solid and I haven't had any problems on the trail, nor do I expect to....It's just not quite my ideal.

Last edited:

juanbeegas

Monkey
May 6, 2008
Singapore
Point One DM stem + Nuke Proof Warhead bars. The NP bars are 760mm wide, come in a 1" or 1.5" rise and are fairly light.

Last edited:

Jason4

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Bellingham
I think my next stem is going to be the new Straitline zero rise or the Canfield but it depends on how the rest of the bike feels. I'm going to stick with my dirty 30s and don't have much to offer other than I'm happy with them.

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
Are you staying away from sunline because they bent? Or just wanting to try something new?
A little from column A, and a little from column B. I know that there's probably nothing wrong with Sunline stuff, but in all honesty I'm a bit put off after having both the stem and bars fail in a single not-so-spectacular crash.

Anybody have a phone number for Point One? I work at a shop and want to try to EP the stem from them, but their website only has e-mail addresses listed for contact info.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Damn Ben, gnar! Seems like a pretty freak occurance though.

I've got the Funn DM stem and fatboy bars. So far so good.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Have you ridden Renthals?
They might be totally overbuilt or anything, just the smallest design ideals by them may take them totally out of the competition.
Showa
Kayaba
Brembo
Is any of their bike stuff really any good?

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
EA70 for bars. Never looked anywhere else, never had any need to! Light, "normal" width, not too spendy, good name behind them, nice shape, and personally never bent/snapped any (not that I have any other bar though!) Only 27" though.
Too narrow. I used to be an ea70 fan but after trying a 760mm bar, there's a huge advantage in feel and control (especially while drifting) and there's no way I'd go back. I'd highly recommend trying it, ea70's feel like XC bars now.

djivotno

Monkey
Oct 3, 2008
Humh... i did notice the sunline stem having a little less bolt insertion but damn!

I used the E13 Ali stem on my Boxxer but i did have some play in it. Never the less it was good when it was tight. Now i've gone with the Travis so no DM stem for me, but i did have a look at something... out of the box like the Shaman Racing DM stem. It's not super light but they do manage to build them pretty strong.

After i twisted my Funn FullON bars i've gone with one of their (Shaman) handlebars and had pretty much the same crash as with the Funn but at higher speed with no issues and no damage. Same goes with the Zoo! trials bar. It's plenty strong and i had no issues with it too but they are about 50g lighter than the Shaman bars. Currently i'm running the Element Technic Nikel-Wide flat bars but i've had no crashes on them yet to say if they are as strong, but they are pretty comfotable and realy... stiff somehow. The best ride for me was with the Zoo! (.5" rise 740mm wide), and for a stem i'd grab the Shaman. No more Funn products for me :plthumbsdown:

Last edited: