Quantcast

help me pick out a car

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
ok, i sold the subie outback before i left for ireland, and the garage is empty when we get back in a couple weeks. i liked the outback, but it was a bit bigger than i needed (my wife also had one, which was fine w/ the two kids) as i typically just use my car to drive to work, and occasionally load up and get to the mountains.

so...attributes i want in a car:

preferably used (better deal), but nothing older than say '99
manual tranny
fun to drive (very subjective)
good mileage (~30mpg city would be good, even mid-20s is OK i guess)
good maintenance record/v. reliable
decent space
can get a trailer hitch (i want to use a hitchmount instead of roof rack)
would like to keep the purchase to ~10K or so

i was thinking of the golf or jetta TDI, but they are a bit scarce and don't get very good marks on reliability, according to CR. i was also thinking of the ford focus, but that's about the only domestic car i'd consider. a mini would be a blast but it's pretty small and more $ than i would like to spend.

so...waddya got for me?

grimm

Monkey
Jan 12, 2002
Sweden
I drive a Jetta Pacific '89 and its ok for simple stuff, not much room for bikes tho. but cheap insurance (in sweden) and low milage. dunno how the newer Jetta's are tho..

hope you find something cheap and usefull

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
NO FOCUS!
It is the most recalled car in the history or cars.
Stick with toyota, honda, nissan. I love VW style but they are prone to electrical issues. And I know people who got 2-3 lemons in a row(why they kept going back I'll never know).
Are you looking for a wagon, sedan, coupe?(I work at a dealer as much as i hate to admit it).

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
a wagon would be OK, a sedan is fine too (better than a coupe in case i haev to put the car seats in my car).

i did have a honda civic before the subie which i liked, but after we had kids my wife wanted me to get a bigger car. but i'm not a fan of big cars, really. what does nissan have which would fit the bill? i could go MOR w/ an accord.

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
Finding a decent milage accord around 10G is tough. possible but tough
You can find some good deals on nissan altimas.

It's styling isn't for everybody but the toyota Matrix fits the bill pretty good. Reliable, decent milage, good space. It's a wagon and when the seats are folded down it's a plastic back(so you won't f up your carpeting). Maybe worth a look.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Being VW person I would stick with Subaru.

VW's can be a pain.

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
Toyota matrix or the Pontiac Vibe, it's mechanical twin. They share the same engine as the Celica and are available with FWD and a 6 speed or AWD with the auto I believe. Worth a look.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Used Subie Impreza or Impreza Outback Sport wagon (same car, slightly different suspension and finish). Cheaper than the WRX if you don't need the power, tons of fun to drive in the mountains...handles incredibly. Plus, if you hook an aftermarket turbo up later, you have .5L more engine than a WRX.

MD

Edit: The Mazda 3s look cool, but they're going to be more expensive, as they're new in 2004...older Protege 5, perhaps? Those are neat, too, but less powerful than the 3, I believe.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
face planter said:
get a corvet they get really good gas milege.but they have pretty much no room.but its ur choice.
:stupid:

i'd go for a focus svt :thumb:

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
Toshi said:
:stupid:

i'd go for a focus svt :thumb:
Why don't people get it. Here's one example.
"Number of Vehicles: 31,002
Mfg Campaign No. 99S35 -Cruise control. DOM 7/99-11/99. Speed control cable end fitting can allow water to enter speed control servo assembly. Corrosion in servo assembly could develop and cause intermittent speed control operation or prevent throttle from returning to idle which could result in unexpected acceleration and crash. Correct by replacing speed control cable with new cable and inspecting assembly for internal corrosion and replacing servos with evidence of corrosion. Advise owners not to use speed control until vehicles are repaired."

On top of the fact that 36,000 cars were shipped without nuts on the steering wheels! Another was the faulty airbags, they went off in some cars for no reason other than a pebble hitting the bumber.

DO NOT BUY A FOCUS
It's the most recalled cars in the history of cars!

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
but on the other hand the focus is incredibly cheap since it has no resale value, and the svt is a cool car. 170 hp, 6 speed manual iirc, nice seats...

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
Toshi said:
but on the other hand the focus is incredibly cheap since it has no resale value, and the svt is a cool car. 170 hp, 6 speed manual iirc, nice seats...
Hopefully yours has a nut on the steering wheel. :D

Lexx D said:
DO NOT BUY A FOCUS
It's the most recalled cars in the history of cars!
Check your facts. Keep in mind that the manufacturers do fix and update things from time to time. The first two years the Focus was sold in the states it had more than it's fare share of problems, yes. The '00 had at least 7 major recalls, the '01 had a few also but not as many. The '03 and '04 have been improved to the point that they are a Consumer Reports Best Buy. I have an '04 ZX5 Focus and I have been regularly checking the NTSB site. So far there have been zero recalls for the '04 Focus. There had not even been any service bulletins posted for the thing the last time I checked.

There are still big rebates to be had on the Focus. If you know how to bargain you can get a new ZX3 for under 10k after rebates.

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
Toshi said:
It still drives like **** though. I drove one back to back with an RSX and admittedly, there is a $4k price difference, but you still get more for your money with the RSX. Better handling, better acceleration, nicer intererior, better reliability, just much better overall.

Unfortunately you're probably not going to find an RSX for $10k, so I would second or third or whatever the number is now, for the Impreza. Reliable, decent gas mileage, and they're reasonably fun to drive. Just don't get a red one, they seem to be accident magnets. Ours is coming back from the collision center for the second time tomorrow; every body panel on it has been replaced at least once now.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Sven tha Viking said:
2000-2002 audi a4 quattro. i'm getting one of those and i'll have <10K for it. AWD, manual tranny, many engines floating around. 1.8t, 2.0, 2.7t, 2.8 3.0 etc
an '02 audi for 10K?

where, in bangladesh?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Sven tha Viking said:
2000-2002 audi a4 quattro. i'm getting one of those and i'll have <10K for it. AWD, manual tranny, many engines floating around. 1.8t, 2.0, 2.7t, 2.8 3.0 etc
i salute you in yr quest, quixotic as it appears. blue book value of a '00 A4 5spd w/ 2WD in good condition is 12K. good luck.

jmvar

Monkey
Aug 16, 2002
"It was a funny angle!"
My vote goes to Honda civic/acura integra
-buy a '98 for $8K
-save the $2K for brakes, tune ups, tires, change in fluids, and change timing belt, water pump @ 90K miles
-reliable, somewhat nimble and fun to drive
-hook up a 1.25" hitch

if you don't mind having a car that is very common, i would go for this...you can't beat the reliability of these cars. everyone hates on honda's because they are driven by 16 year olds with ridiculous wings, and 80 year old grandmothers, but because they are so popular that parts are dirt cheap. if you are looking for transportation for point A to point B, you can't beat this.

Now if you want a little more character in what you drive, it is very much personal preference.....good luck

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
jmvar said:
My vote goes to Honda civic/acura integra
-buy a '98 for $8K
-save the $2K for brakes, tune ups, tires, change in fluids, and change timing belt, water pump @ 90K miles
-reliable, somewhat nimble and fun to drive
-hook up a 1.25" hitch

if you don't mind having a car that is very common, i would go for this...you can't beat the reliability of these cars. everyone hates on honda's because they are driven by 16 year olds with ridiculous wings, and 80 year old grandmothers, but because they are so popular that parts are dirt cheap. if you are looking for transportation for point A to point B, you can't beat this.

Now if you want a little more character in what you drive, it is very much personal preference.....good luck
my wife had an '88 prelude, and i had a '96 civic. both rock solid cars. hondas do run well, no doubt about it. the integra's kind of a chick car, though. :think:

Lexx D said:
I work at a dealership, i get to hear all the actual "facts".
That's cool! I have a service/checkup scheduled at the dealership later this week. Since I can't find any recalls online maybe you could give a monkey some tips. What recalls do you see for an '04 Zx5? Any problems I should ask them about while I'm there?

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Narlus - are you looking for something small but that has a hatchback or something along those lines?

I have a minivan right now, but I'd love to have something smaller - and more nimble, yet offer plenty of cargo room with seats dropped down etc. The Matrix looks pretty sweet in that regard.

I can't afford a fancy WRX and the base Imprezas are butt ugly.

Are you and IMBA member - because IMBA members can get Subies at invoice pricing with no questions asked. IAB and MBC used that perk to get their outback and they weren't even members for a full year I don't think. Just a thought.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
I don't know if anyone mentioned it, but how about a used Volvo S40? Probably a little more $ than you would like, but why not turn H into a full-blown soccer mom? My mom has an 8 year old 850 GLT wagon and the thing is about the best highway car I have ever driven. Its got a 2.4L I5 that puts out 174hp. Not very impressive numbers, but it will get 25mpg over rolling highway at 80+mph when on cruise control, or ~30mpg if the highway is flatter. I drove it to Snowshoe this year and our total average mpg ended up being a little over 25. It was nice to leave Boston and not refule until southern Penn.

And don't let anyone talk you out of getting a receiver rack. They kick ass.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
what's a receiver rack? is that a trailer hitch rack? i am ready to give up the roof racks. too much noise and loss of fuel economy.

i did see a good price on an xc70 for about 10K which intrigued me, but it'll likely be gone when i get home.

mark, my wife and i were IMBA members for a long time, but let our membership lapse while we were ex-pats so i don't think we qualify (you have to be a member for 6 mos). i wrote in to them explaining our circumstance but i doubt we'll get anywhere w/ it.

i think you nailed it w/ the small hatchback option. something which i can cram stuff into in a pinch when i need it, but that also gets good mileage the 95% of the time when i just use it to get from point A to point B by myself. the wife just wants me in something safe too, which is why i ditched the civic for the outback after we had our first child.