Quantcast

help me pick out new handlebars

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
If you're bored -and- knowledgeable, this is for you!

So I'm thinking of going with some kind of TT bars where instead of wrapping down for the drops, they go up a bit and you can put index shifters in the ends. And I want a large-ish flat surface area in the bar part that connects to the stem.

What would those be called? Any suggestions for bars?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I like to get in the drops when decending. Lower the CG and all that. Plus, most TT bars have the shifters at the end of the aero bars and that would make shifting annoying.
Do you think there's a safety issue with my hands sliding off?

I've descended at 40+ with my hands on the hoods, so I'm thinking that the positioning for me won't be a concern, just losing grip?

As for shifting, I'm in my biggest gear ~35mph, so no issue there.

I just like leaning my forearms on the bars and grabbing the hoods, seems like a TT is for me?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
What about a standard drop bar with clip-ons?
I tried that and lost all hand positions that aren't on the aerobars or in the drops. And sometimes, I'd rather have my hands on the hoods.

The bars Wump posted above are very much like I'm looking for, so i'm hoping anyone who knows those kinds will offer some more options.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
What about a standard drop bar with clip-ons?
A set of shorties would work. The problem with slapping a normal set of aerobars onto a road bike is positioning. I'm preaching to the converted, so I'll stop.

Visit slowtwitch.com for some GREAT info on putting shorties on road bike. w3rd.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
please keep in mind that I'm not replacing handlebars that I already have and can just put clip-ons onto... ya know, cuz they were stolen.

So, building from scratch...

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
I tried that and lost all hand positions that aren't on the aerobars or in the drops. And sometimes, I'd rather have my hands on the hoods.

The bars Wump posted above are very much like I'm looking for, so i'm hoping anyone who knows those kinds will offer some more options.
I'm confused. Are you planning on running TT bars or just the 'bullhorns'?

And why can't you ride on the hoods with the clipons?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I'm confused. Are you planning on running TT bars or just the 'bullhorns'?

And why can't you ride on the hoods with the clipons?
I should say clip-ons didn't work with my previous bars, but I no longer have them, so not a factor.

I'm not sure I'm going to bother with TT bars, but I really think "bullhorns" fits my riding style better than other other bars out there.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Maybe you should buy a setup and try it on your commuter before committing to the custom. I would think there would be some difference in build if you are going with the bullhorns.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Maybe you should buy a setup and try it on your commuter before committing to the custom. I would think there would be some difference in build if you are going with the bullhorns.
Great idea.

But what difference in build would there be?