Quantcast

HELP! my new computer sucks!

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
wow, i fvcked up. so im going to try and return this thing. any suggestions on what to get in that price range?
If you don't like the one I linked to (or it's out of stock), go here: www.slickdeals.net

Get an account, and set up an alert for anything that has "laptop" in the post, and put a requirement of 2 or 5 thumbs-up. Then you'll get an email when a good deal comes along. You'll easily find something with an i3 (or an i5), 4GB RAM an a 500GB HD. There's usually some good Lenovo refurbished (ie, practically brand new) ones that come along, or the Staples $100 off (an already cheap computer) are good as well. I got an i3 desktop last summer for $279 that way before they put in the minimum regular price (i3-2120, 1TB 7200 HD, 4GB, HDMI), and picked up an i5 Lenovo laptop for the wife during one of their refurbished sales last year for $350 after tax/shipping.

Especially with back-to-school season coming up there should be a TON of sales in the next month or so.

Here's the Staples $100 off coupon, valid through tomorrow:

http://reg.e.staples.com/c/s/tagfrm/hBR$iR6B7SHGCB80Q00NuKDEVkZ/coupon.html?PID=361116&COUPON_1=51649&CID=AFF%3A361116%3A361116%3A10428703&n=5137&cm_mmc=CJ-_-361116-_-361116-_-10428703&SID=FWby9mwo&AID=10428703&storeId=10001

Although it's best to use those with ones that are on clearance (like the one I posted) to get the price even cheaper (or to get ones that are normally in the $500-600 range but marked down into the $400s before the coupon is applied).

Last edited:

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
Or this just go HERE, check off i3 and i5 in the sorting on the left hand side, and arrange by price Low -> High.

i5-2450M (2gen older, but still pretty fast), 6GB RAM, 500GB HD, $330
i3-3110M (last gen, still fast), 8GB, 500GB HD, $362 (not quite as good of a deal, but still)

Keep in mind:

With Intel's processors, M is mobile (ie, normal laptop use), U is for longer battery life at a slightly slower CPU speed, and ULV is for a LOT longer battery life at a LOT slower CPU speed. Choose accordingly.

For AMD, the bare minimum you'd probably want to go is A6, but I'm not a huge fan of AMD processors these days.

Edit:

Hell, even the $220 B960 laptop on the Lenovo site will wipe the floor with the netbook processor you have.

Last edited:

GodSmack

Chimp
May 27, 2013
BC
Had the same problems. WTF is with apps on a computer. Keep em on smartphone toys. Windows 8 does not work well with many programs so you probably need service packs installed. If your computer takes 3 to 4 minutes to boot up then your computer is seriously f.cked! I only run 4 gigs of ram and the same processor. My computer does not chug at all. I do full HD editing. Its slow but it works.
I think you have a virus. Problem is your anti virus program or programs will not detect ALL viruses.
Find a computer geek. Tell em they are the best. The geek will gladly fix your computer.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
slikdeals just copies their stuff from www.deals2buy.com
Not really, they all sort of copy stuff from each other. They (all) make their money off of reference clicks, so if it's on one website you can bet it'll show up on the rest (including fatwallet, etc) relatively shortly. If you like the D2B interface then that works for you, but man, that's a *horribly* put together website.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
Is there really no way to sort out the "hot deals" from the rest of the crap? Most of the stuff I found on there by searching for "laptop" (or by clicking on the manufacturer's tabs at the top) were *terrible*. $50 off a $500 computer on 2 people had given it a "thumbs up".

Clicking the Lenovo tab on d2b gave me 6 deals, no laptops. Searching on SD for Lenovo gave me:

(Refurbished) 15" Ideapad, i5-3317U, 750GB $376
Or a 15" G85 with at least a faster processor than lovebunny got for $196

You have to search instead of just relying on the Front Page deals, but there's WAY more stuff at SD than I could find at d2b.

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
Not really, they all sort of copy stuff from each other. They (all) make their money off of reference clicks, so if it's on one website you can bet it'll show up on the rest (including fatwallet, etc) relatively shortly. If you like the D2B interface then that works for you, but man, that's a *horribly* put together website.
It's not copying, it is syndication in many places. All they are doing is taking a feed and integrating it into their site.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
It's not copying, it is syndication in many places. All they are doing is taking a feed and integrating it into their site.
Sorry, "they" as in the users submitting the deals. For SD it's all user-generated content, and then people vote on the deals. So if someone sees a deal on FatWallet for example, they'll post it over to SD and vice versa. Basically within a certain period of time whatever shows up on one site will show up on another. I'm assuming that many of the deals on the other sites also show up that way.

ButtersNZ

Monkey
Jun 6, 2013
Format the POS and install ubuntu. It's like a combination of apple and microsoft's best bits. I find it very user friendly, less resource hungry. Great for less-powerful computers. Check this link - 'show yourself around'

http://www.ubuntu.com/tour/en/