Quantcast

Help needed....

Shyrmp

Nekkid Girl Gone Wild
Dec 31, 2002
The suburbs of Mexico.....
Ok, now that I have convinced myself that I am going to do at least one endurance race this year...what should I do to train?

I'm am currently pathetically out of shape so any help you could give me would be highly appreciated. Thanks! :)

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Hey Shrymp!

How you prepare for an endurance race all depends on how much time you want to devote to it. You need to work up to being able to be on the bike for long periods of time. For example, a 100 mile race can take up to and even beyond 12 hours for a first timer. Training should consist of riding as much as possible. At the bare minimum I would suggest maybe a few nights a week riding for an hour or two and then two medium rides then going to long rides on the weekends. It would be good to spend at least 6 hours on the bike at one time as you get further into the training.

Again, it all depends on how much time you want to devote to this. What you are aiming for is base mileage really. In an endurance race it is less about intervals and speed and more about steady output.

Here are a couple articles.

http://www.ultracycling.com/training/preparing_for_12_24s_part1.html

http://www.ultracycling.com/training/preparing_for_12_24s_part2.html

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
You could start training with me and Gee Spot, although it might be a good idea to get started by yourself first to get your cardio up a bit... we're several months into a pretty good routine right now.

Shyrmp

Nekkid Girl Gone Wild
Dec 31, 2002
Originally posted by Heidi
Hey Shrymp!

How you prepare for an endurance race all depends on how much time you want to devote to it. You need to work up to being able to be on the bike for long periods of time. For example, a 100 mile race can take up to and even beyond 12 hours for a first timer. Training should consist of riding as much as possible. At the bare minimum I would suggest maybe a few nights a week riding for an hour or two and then two medium rides then going to long rides on the weekends. It would be good to spend at least 6 hours on the bike at one time as you get further into the training.

Again, it all depends on how much time you want to devote to this. What you are aiming for is base mileage really. In an endurance race it is less about intervals and speed and more about steady output.
Thanks for the input Heidi! I want to be on my bike as much as possible this year. I'll let you know how the training goes! :)

Shyrmp

Nekkid Girl Gone Wild
Dec 31, 2002
Originally posted by Echo
You could start training with me and Gee Spot, although it might be a good idea to get started by yourself first to get your cardio up a bit... we're several months into a pretty good routine right now.
Sure, after I build my cardio up...I'll start riding with you. :)

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
Originally posted by Shyrmp
Ok, now that I have convinced myself that I am going to do at least one endurance race this year...what should I do to train?

I'm am currently pathetically out of shape so any help you could give me would be highly appreciated. Thanks! :)
Didn't you say you never did a XC race before?

Your motto must be go BIG or don't go at all!

I'd definitely start putting tons of miles on your bike, and if the weather doesn't allow that do something inside (trainer or join a gym)

good luck!

Shyrmp

Nekkid Girl Gone Wild
Dec 31, 2002
Originally posted by douglas
Didn't you say you never did a XC race before?

Your motto must be go BIG or don't go at all!

I'd definitely start putting tons of miles on your bike, and if the weather doesn't allow that do something inside (trainer or join a gym)

good luck!
Go big or go home! :D :D

Shyrmp

Nekkid Girl Gone Wild
Dec 31, 2002
Originally posted by Drunken_Ninja
and i thought training involved building up a tolerance to beer.

you are obviously interested in winning. (don't use my methods in this case)
Who said anything about winning????? If I manage to finish the race without killing myself THAT will be an accomplishment :p :p :p

ghostrider

7034 miles, still no custom title
Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
I've learned that if you want to be able to ride your bike long distances, you should ride your bike long distances. If I can be of any more help, please let me know.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Originally posted by ghostrider
I've learned that if you want to be able to ride your bike long distances, you should ride your bike long distances. If I can be of any more help, please let me know.
And you all wonder how I became a smartass :D