Quantcast

Help out a diablo regular

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Sorry jbro but screw that!

Yes it is safer to wear a helmet. I'm all for safety and helmets have saved my a$$ multiple times on my bike and my skis (been knocked the fvck out and cracked my helmet).

I wear a helmet almost every time I click into my planks but when I am just riding the lifts and enjoying the warm Tahoe days I wanna be able to ride without a lid. Sorry I don't wanna give that up just because some bro took a header and died.

Pro skier CR Johnson recently died in a dangerous part of Squaw Valley called the Light Towers (with a helmet on). Does this mean that the area should be closed to prevent further danger to riders? You might say yes but real riders will say no freakin' way. We need to gauge our skills and accept the dangers inherent in the sports we participate in.

Also this is not a thread about DHing so maybe try posting in the lounge.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
I'm against forcing people by law to wear a helmet, but they should just add clauses into health insurance contracts that they won't cover you in the event of injury cause by certain sports if you're not wearing a helmet. You're not forced to by law, but you are certainly incentiveized to wear one.

P.S. skiing/biking/motorcycling without wearing a helmet is just retarded. End of story. And you'll eventually get whats coming. If you care about yourself and your friends/family you'll wear one. Made me laugh when I was in Tahoe and I was like 1 of 2 or 3 people I saw at heavenly/kirkwood/Sierra wearing a full face.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
gotta agree, to a degree. I think below a certain age, they should be mandatory, above that, it's your own risk. Similar to bikes.

I think helmets shouldn't be mandatory for motorcyclists either though...if you aren't smart enough to wear a helmet, evolution wins!

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
gotta agree, to a degree. I think below a certain age, they should be mandatory, above that, it's your own risk. Similar to bikes.

I think helmets shouldn't be mandatory for motorcyclists either though...if you aren't smart enough to wear a helmet, evolution wins!
Oh ya, forgot about kids, they should probably be mandatory for them. Agree to agree!

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .

I think helmets shouldn't be mandatory for motorcyclists either though...if you aren't smart enough to wear a helmet, Natural Selection wins!
fixed.

good point! but hopefully the parents have enough common sense to enforce this with their kids anyway. does common sense still exist today? anyway, as a father, my house-my rules. my kids are wearing them whether there is a law or not.:thumb:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
This is true, but do you supervise your kids all day at the slopes? Not knocking you if you don't, but I never was, and if the cool thing to do is ditch the helmet, kids will do it. If everybody with a red pass on the hill has to wear a helmet, it'll be a lot easier to enforce.

There are plenty of good parents out there, but there are as many/more bad ones, or not even bad but not perfect ones...

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
This is true, but do you supervise your kids all day at the slopes? Not knocking you if you don't, but I never was, and if the cool thing to do is ditch the helmet, kids will do it. If everybody with a red pass on the hill has to wear a helmet, it'll be a lot easier to enforce.

There are plenty of good parents out there, but there are as many/more bad ones, or not even bad but not perfect ones...
another good point. with more than one kid and a wife that doesn't ski or board it is impossible to be in more than one place at a time. it hasn't happened yet, but they will get older and eventually i won't be nearly as "cool" as i am now (in their eyes anyway ;)) so it will be even harder to watch them as they bike, skate, snow board, ski....... laws would help enforce this.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I don't really understand why people are so against the law for snow and ski. It is already forced on snowparks in europe, for kids and I think in some places for all people (or is being considered). It lowers the number of injuries so it works. Seriously I don't want to wait longer for a heli if I have a really serious crash because someone thought he'd look cooler without a helmet. It not only influences the people who don't wear a helmet but also everyone else. Less people get injured the better for you (unless you're in the health/insurance business). I also have a rebel inside me that wants to fight every law what to do but if it smart it's better to calm down.

I've been wearing a helmet while snowboarding for the last 9 years and it made my life much better (not only less head pain but also less neck injuries when and no winters where the only way to turn my head was by hand). According to the doctors at Soelden the helmet saved me from serious head injury so I'm really for the law.

Last edited:

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
All I can tell you guys is im soooo ****ing glad back in 86 when i started skateboarding the safety brigade wasnt there to pad me up as I sessions some parking blocks. I feel sorry for kids now who have to pad the **** out just to ride the local park. Skating with full pads on sucks.

Im so tired of this lets make people do this its for their own good rule. Sorry about your friend, but honestly i dont need someone making it a law i wear a helmet. Next thing I know I have to hike up some trail in ungodly heat wearing my fullface because a bunch of people wiped themselves off the globe. not gonna happen

iandude94

Monkey
May 30, 2008
OC, NY
Under 18, in terrain parks, in backcountry, and racing/competing it should be mandatory. If your older then that or don't do that, then look cool and when your eating toothpaste and getting coloring books for your birthday for the rest of your life I will still be riding. And there really isn't a reason not to wear a helmet. There light,comfy,keep your head warm, and some are nice looking.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I'm really curious why people are not angry that we have to wear helmets for dh races? I've seen people ride without them outside of events...

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
This is just the start. Next we will have to wear seat belts in a car, then no cell phone use in cars followed by no texting while driving. Then no smoking in bars, etc.
I can't even imagine all the new laws we will have by the year 2010.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
P.S. skiing/biking/motorcycling without wearing a helmet is just retarded. End of story. And you'll eventually get whats coming. If you care about yourself and your friends/family you'll wear one. Made me laugh when I was in Tahoe and I was like 1 of 2 or 3 people I saw at heavenly/kirkwood/Sierra wearing a full face.
I seriously doubt that there are many serious riders (read: ride more than just a few times a season) on this board who can honestly say they have never gotten on their skis/board or bike without a helmet.

If I just finished working on my bike and want to take it on a test ride around the block I should be able to decide if I want to be "retarded" and take the risk of riding slowly down a quiet suburban street without a helmet. I am probably as likely to get injured walking down the street as I am JRAing.

The same should be true on my skis. If I am not going to take any risks I don't think I should be required to be wearing a helmet.

The real retards are those who don't know how to judge the level of risk they expose themselves to.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I seriously doubt that there are many serious riders (read: ride more than just a few times a season) on this board who can honestly say they have never gotten on their skis/board or bike without a helmet.

If I just finished working on my bike and want to take it on a test ride around the block I should be able to decide if I want to be "retarded" and take the risk of riding slowly down a quiet suburban street without a helmet. I am probably as likely to get injured walking down the street as I am JRAing.

The same should be true on my skis. If I am not going to take any risks I don't think I should be required to be wearing a helmet.

The real retards are those who don't know how to judge the level of risk they expose themselves to.

I've ridden snowboard a lot since I was a little kid, have an instructors license and used to ride very often (every weekend all the winter + every free day I had in school including the summer holidays) and since I was ~13 I've never ridden without a helmet... I'm not the only one. I just keep my helmet where I keep my board so how is it hard not to take it?
Also I can agree about the bike example but in case of ski/snowboard do you own a private resort where you ban all the other trail users? I've been crashed into or almost crashed into quite a few times, even when I was driving at pretty mellow speeds. Just by riding where other people ride you are taking a risk.

As for bikes and mellow riding the risk is slow but **** always happens and what is the real problem with helmets? Can someone please explain it to me? For snowboard/ski they are warmer, prevent not only head but also many neck injuries (at least since I've been using mine I've stopped having neck problems and I crash just as often) and I really don't feel a good helmet on my head, for bike a light helmet for normal riding is really comfy and for dh even if it isn't I don't think we should qustion it's place. So what is the problem with helmets? I sometimes ride around the block without my helmet after finishing a bike etc. but that doesn't make a pro helmet law stupid.

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
why do we feel the need to enforce common sense as law though. No ones against helmets, but if I decide to ride my bike to the store for a drink and dont wear my helmet and get a ticket im going to be pissed because some kid rode into traffic and made him self a pudding eater. Im a ****ing adult, I have insurance, I dont blame parks when i fall riding, i dont sue the city if I trip off a curb for not warning me a curb was there.

What is so wrong with our country that if you sign a waiver releasing someone from liability that you can still win on court. Its the old woman who sued McDonalds for her coffee being too hot. Yeah it's ****ing coffee.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Make helmets that fit everyone, then you can begin to consider things like this.

As long as 'market economics' leaves the fringe in the cold - F any law that pushes them further out.

Wear a helmet of course.

Oh - and the 'denial of coverage' clause is a business win for the Insurer, but a big fat loss/fail for everyone else involved --- we are all already paying the costs, it's just a matter of how it comes out of your pockets. Gripe about Gov't involvement, HMO's, whatever you choose, bottom line is you still pay.

Jettj45

Monkey
Oct 20, 2005
Butthole of NC
why do we feel the need to enforce common sense as law though. No ones against helmets, but if I decide to ride my bike to the store for a drink and dont wear my helmet and get a ticket im going to be pissed because some kid rode into traffic and made him self a pudding eater. Im a ****ing adult, I have insurance, I dont blame parks when i fall riding, i dont sue the city if I trip off a curb for not warning me a curb was there.

What is so wrong with our country that if you sign a waiver releasing someone from liability that you can still win on court. Its the old woman who sued McDonalds for her coffee being too hot. Yeah it's ****ing coffee.
Unfortunately laws are not for people like yourself who don't try and take unethical financial advantage of every situation or with common sense. They are there to protect the vast amount of dumba$$es in this country that make living here worse.

Reguardless, I still do not think making adults by law wear a helmet is the right route. I always wear a helmet, if you don't that's your fault for being dumb.

jbro

Chimp
Apr 13, 2007
How many of you non-helmet people ride at mountain creek/ southpeak in jersey?

Have you ever seen a good friend fall into a coma in front of you? Im not trying to be dramatic but no one should have to see that ever.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Have you ever seen a good friend fall into a coma in front of you? Im not trying to be dramatic but no one should have to see that ever.
I had a friend go into a coma. He WAS wearing a helmet. He'd be dead with out it, but he was smart enough to make the decision on his own.

I for one support natural selection.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007

The real question is what is wrong with US that unlike europe people are so damn stubborn against such laws? You sue everyone for not protecting you but don't want any laws that do... Quite the opposite in europe. If I'm correct in some euro countries you are even required to use elbow pads for races.
Also - even if hemets were the law would you always use it? Everybody brakes the minor laws once a while.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Do I have to tell this story again???

Well, ok.

In the US, we have this black and white belief - IE, 'Live Free or Die'. In actuality, there is a hell of a lot of gray in between.

An example in the 'Live Free or Die' State (NH) - I once was involved in rating the quality of human service systems and visited a group home of young men in that state. They all had traumatic brain injury and almost all from motorcycle accidents without helmets (minus one dude who got injured on major farm equipment). Many of them were married, had kids, had a future. Now, they were living in a group home, divorced, angry as hell and therefore heavily medicated. They lived free and guess what - they didn't die.

Had they tried to slightly restrict their 'freedom' while wearing a helmet, they MIGHT be living under more upbeat circumstances.

Everyone accepts a seat belt law, why not a helmet law?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Because driving is an earned privilege?

you need a motorcycle license too (at least in most states, not aware of any that don't require it though).

I think forcing people to wear a helmet when riding a motorcycle is stupid. I also think NOT wearing a helmet when riding a motorcycle is stupid. Its just common sense guys. I also think that NOT wearing a helmet when riding a motorcycle should be the equivalent of wearing a "Do Not Resuscitate" bracelet.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
you need a motorcycle license too (at least in most states, not aware of any that don't require it though).

I think forcing people to wear a helmet when riding a motorcycle is stupid. I also think NOT wearing a helmet when riding a motorcycle is stupid. Its just common sense guys. I also think that NOT wearing a helmet when riding a motorcycle should be the equivalent of wearing a "Do Not Resuscitate" bracelet.
Yeah, let's leave them on the ground to rot, it's their fault for not wearing helmets... Seriously If you think not doing something is stupid than why a law that says exactly the same is also stupid?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Yeah, let's leave them on the ground to rot, it's their fault for not wearing helmets...
Well it is. It's called "taking responsibility for your own actions". Its kind of an endangered species here in the US.

Seriously If you think not doing something is stupid than why a law that says exactly the same is also stupid?
Because it interferes with natural selection.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Well it is. It's called "taking responsibility for your own actions". Its kind of an endangered species here in the US.

Because it interferes with natural selection.
Yeah but you don't want the idiots to overcrowd the ambulance when you need it ;) It's this kind of thinking that made us pay much more for the health care than you get ;) We forbid ppl to be stupid here therefore on avg. they are though Poland wants to be too much like the us so it may soon change.