Quantcast

help picking a bike

Jan 18, 2005
Tiverton, RI
ok well ive decided im going to buy a dh/fr bike and that im just going to wait until i can get the money to go all out and buy brand new i just want some help picking what to get im going to freeride and some lift access trails i want at least 8 inches of rear travel and something to handle me. im 5'11, 210 pounds and still growing (im only 16) i would rather not spend more then 4 grand dont hold back any opinions and recomendations are apreciated

thanks
pj

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
ShdowConspiracy said:
i would rather not spend more then 4 grand dont hold back any opinions and recomendations are apreciated

thanks
pj
PJ man there are TONS of excellent bikes aroound 4 grand. Maybe you should narrow it down a bit like between this amount and that amout. At 4 grand you could almost pick any FR bike on the market, almost.

So whats your skill level?
Whats you local riding like?
Will you need to pedal much, a lot or shuttle only?
What can you realistically aford?

Jan 18, 2005
Tiverton, RI
So whats your skill level?-beginnerish but have dont some stuff like 6 to 7 feet
Whats you local riding like? couple trail with drops like 5 to 7 feet
Will you need to pedal much, a lot or shuttle only? i need something that pedals really well
What can you realistically afford? at the moment i have a ocuple hundred but soon to be getting a job and im also selling a dirtbike so im just gonna save up and get the best i can

hope that helps

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
Sherpa said:
SC VP-Free
:stupid:

If you're going to be pedaling a lot then go with something that will pedal. For that look at the VPfree. You could get one under 4 grand. Excellent freeride bike.

Also, take a look at the Intense UZZI VPX, Giant faith, Iron Horse 7.7. People say those are also great FR bikes that pedal well.

tacobelldhr

Monkey
Jun 1, 2005
lake forest
really man you canot go wrong with a turner six pack a vp free is a good bike but way to top heavy for a big guy like you ...but w.e. you like more... a six pack is an ultimate freeride bike that feels like a dh going down but going up it really pedals well... so definently look into those two bikes vp free and a sixpack or if you want to get spendy.... intense uzzi vpx

Peteydag

Monkey
Sep 19, 2004
the FC
go american dude, or at least as close to america as u can, the dare is SOOOOO pimp, please buy one, or two, and give me one

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
Peteydag said:
go american dude, or at least as close to america as u can, the dare is SOOOOO pimp, please buy one, or two, and give me one
I hope your joking about the Dare.

***MTB***

Monkey
Dec 19, 2004
SoCal
Santa Cruz VP-free, Iron Horse 7.7, Kona Stinky Supreme, Norco A-line, Specialized Demo 8 pro, Specialized Demo 9 pro, Specialized Big Hit FSR. Thats all I can think of right now. Oh, maybe the Santa Cruz V10. I don't know.

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
Ellsworth has a reputation for not lasting long.

Also you seemed to be looking for bikes thats are "sick" and not exactly what you would want for your purpose. A DH9 with a 24 would be a nice DH race bike, but for FR and pedalling a lot :dead: no thanks.

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
ShdowConspiracy said:
the demos are out of the question the 9 is 5500 and the 8 is 4800. could i get a v10 for around 4 grand?
Mountain Bike warehouse (in san diego) was selling demo 9s for $3300 (with a 888) and I saw a demo 8 at supergo for under 4 grand. Why would you want a v10? But I don't think you could get one for under 4 grand anyway.

Jan 18, 2005
Tiverton, RI
i dont know ive always had a thing for the v10's mostly the old style, the only used bike i would buy is an old style v10, green with a shiver like klassen rode in kranked 5 :drool:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Dude seriously take a look at a vp-free. I'm 6' 200 lbs (pretty sure I'm done growing :p ), and I might be biased but I love mine. It is super burly and will take the abuse, yet way fun to boost jumps and other shizz. Haven't ridden a 7point but they sure look sweet and are probably cheaper. If you really plan to pedal make sure you get something with a full seatpost.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
There are some good suggestions here. The best thing you can do is get to a dealer and pedal the bikes around a little. That will help you make a decision for sure. Do me a favor though, ride the 7POINT last.

Dave

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
OGRipper said:
Ellsworth can be rearranged to say Worthless. (He should have said rearrange the letters.)
Dunno how good your anagramatic skills are, because "worthless" has two S's and one L, whereas Ellsworth has two L's and one S.

Bullit21

Monkey
May 14, 2003
Socal
ShdowConspiracy said:
ok well ive decided im going to buy a dh/fr bike and that im just going to wait until i can get the money to go all out and buy brand new i just want some help picking what to get im going to freeride and some lift access trails i want at least 8 inches of rear travel and something to handle me. im 5'11, 210 pounds and still growing (im only 16) i would rather not spend more then 4 grand dont hold back any opinions and recomendations are apreciated

thanks
pj
If you want at least 8 inches of travel, you may want to check the Astrix Huckster out. I know Mike Wilson ripped this bike at the Redbull Rampage and it has been around for a while. I don't know anyone personally who has ridden one but maybe someone on here can chime in.

http://www.astrixsports.com/hucksterb.htm