Quantcast

help picking frame size!

Jun 30, 2002
Denton, TX
Hey guys, after hanging out with Alex Morgan (bcd) while working a ProRally service crew with him, I've been bitten by the bike bug again. (and I'm not worthy of one of the carbon fiber insanity bikes that he makes)

I'm 5' 10", 150 lbs., and I'm buying a hardtail MTB for urban and xc, and maybe some dirt jumps.

What frame size would you guys recommend for me?

Yesterday, at a local bike shop, a sales dude told me that I need to get 18" at least, for safety's sake, because my knees will hit the handlebars if I go any smaller (like 15"-17"). Is that true??

I test rode a 17" Specialized Hardrock, and I felt like I could have more fun if I went a tad smaller, and I wasn't sure if I could throw around a bigger bike as much. I was thinking of a Trek 4300 in 16.5" or a Spec'd Hardrock A1 FS in 15". (I didn't like the front fork or pedals on either, but most of the components will be upgraded fairly quickly).

My current (soon to be retired) crap bike is a 13" frame with a rigid fork, and half-functional rusty Shimano SIS derailleurs. Weak.

Any comments or advice?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
If you like the 16.5", get it. Urban and dj favor smaller frames than straight xc, and the saleman may have been unfamiliar with that.

Jun 30, 2002
Denton, TX
cool, thanks for the advice, guys, I'll be going with a 15"-17", screw what the sales guy said about needing an 18" at a minimum.

So, I plan on doing some light xc, and I'm assuming I'll be just fine, even with a 15" frame.

So what's the advantage to larger frame sizes for XC only?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by LittleGrizzly
cool, thanks for the advice, guys, I'll be going with a 15"-17", screw what the sales guy said about needing an 18" at a minimum.

So, I plan on doing some light xc, and I'm assuming I'll be just fine, even with a 15" frame.

So what's the advantage to larger frame sizes for XC only?
On the other hand, don't go too small if you're going to be doing climbing. Small frames don't let you raise the post enough for proper leg extension, and your knees will be shot if you try to climb a mountain with your seat dropped down.

downhil

Monkey
Oct 1, 2001
i think top tube length is the main issue youll need to look at. for dj and urban i prefer the shortest standover i can get away with, but the top tube has to be long enough for me. im 6 foot and a 13" frame is plenty big if the top tube is about 23". but a 13" bike from a mainstream company will be about 4 inches shorter than that and make it unrideable for me.

Jun 30, 2002
Denton, TX
downhil, ahhh, thanks for the top tube advice!

The spec'd hardrock that I'm looking at has a 22.6 top tube length, so it sounds like that 15" frame height will be fine for me, since I'm only 5'10".

Jun 30, 2002
Denton, TX
Ok, so I went to two more bike shops after work today, and both sales guys tried to talk me into a 17"+ frame. I'm going to shut up now, and just test ride all the choices again, and pick the one that feels the most comfortable, whether it's a 15" or not.

My choices got harder, one shop is trying to sell me the '02 Giant Yukon for $350, which has nicer components than the '02 Hardrock that I was going to buy.

Oh well, this feels like when I started getting into cars 10 years ago, it'll snowball into obsession (and more expensive taste in gear) before too long. :-)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Oh well, this feels like when I started getting into cars 10 years ago, it'll snowball into obsession (and more expensive taste in gear) before too long. :-)
:rolleyes: You are very wise. Get out while you still can (and still have money) :eek: :D

Jun 30, 2002
Denton, TX
My price range is $300-400, since everything less seems fairly crappy and not worth upgrading.

Here are my choices:
Spec'd Hardrock A1 FS - $300
Giant Yukon 02, old model in 6 weeks, $350 with TT fork
Giant Yukon 03, new model in 6 weeks, $400, nicer frame and possibly slight component upgrade.

I'll probably end up going with the Hardrock in 15" or 17", and it won't stay stock long. The front fork sucks bad, and the tires look like they'll be ice skates on anything but pavement.

I was going to spend more and get a nicer bike, but I just purchased a bigger turbo and intercooler for my other toy, a 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR4. More boost!

horton

Chimp
Jul 4, 2002
Ok, so I went to two more bike shops after work today, and both sales guys tried to talk me into a 17"+ frame. I'm going to shut up now, and just test ride all the choices again, and pick the one that feels the most comfortable, whether it's a 15" or not.

When I bought my bike (IM also 5ft 10) the sales dude said the 17inch frame I wanted was too small for me. I ignored him and bought it and found that 17inch is perfect for cross country but still to big for having serious fun on.
Im now looking at getting another bike which will be 14 or 15inch.

and beware the obsession, I bought my Giant for the equivalent of $500US about 2 months ago, and Im about to spend about $2000/$2500US on a new hardcore bike.

The Giant was my first decent(ish) MTB and it only took me 2months to desire better.

Beware you will be selling your car before you realise it and buying a collection of bikes.

The way I look at it $2500 buys a crappy car but it buys the MTB equivalent of a Porsche.

Jun 30, 2002
Denton, TX
I'm starting to think that I'll end up needing more than one bike, to satisfy the different purposes they could be used for. I can't live with only one car, I have to be able to drag race, autocross, and rallycross, so I've been thinking "how can I have just one bike"? :-)

And about the frame sizing, today I will test ride a 15" and 17" back to back, and see which one feels better. The Specialized has a nice low standover height, but normal length top tube, so the 17" might be more comfortable than the Giant and Trek bikes I was looking at (since they had higher standovers).

Jun 30, 2002
Denton, TX
Well, just to finish this thread, I ended up buying a bike last week. 15" Specialized Hardrock Comp FS. Fits nice, it's small enough to throw around, and I can get it into my car's back seat.

I may get a longer seatpost (stock is 350mm) to raise the height for XC a little, so my legs are straighter. Other than that, I'm very happy with my purchase, and I'm glad I didn't listen to all the bike salesman that told me this was too small. :-)