Quantcast

Help Planning West Coast Roadtrip

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I'm going to be driving to Park City, UT in a week to stay with a friend there and am planning on doing some riding after I stay there. I live in Socal so on the return trip I thought it would be worth it to check some places out. I will definitely be hitting Deer Valley, and I think I want to go to Mammoth and Tahoe (maybe) as well. Any other recommendations? I will be sleeping in the car or camping so I'm very mobile - if there are any small places that have stuff that's fun for a day it would be worth it. Thanks!

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Little out of the way, but whistler is fun. I hear they are having some kind of 'bike festival' up there now as well....

:cheers:

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Heh, Whistler would be great but it's a bit removed from the Park City - Santa Barbara drive. And more expensive than I can afford most likely.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Looks like home -> Deer Valley -> Sol Vista -> Keystone -> Mammoth.

Brian Head doesn't look that fun, Angel fire is really removed, and I rode Tahoe too much last summer. Anything in CO specifically I'm stupid to miss? Also, anyone going to be at any of these locations the latter part of this month that wants to ride? Right now I'm planning on getting a mattress in the back of my wagon and being really cheap/dirty about the whole thing.

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
Personally I'd hit Tahoe instead of Mammoth, and then shoot down to Pacifica and/or Santa Cruz. You could even hit SLO on your way back down 101 to SB.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I honestly didn't love Tahoe all that much last year. It was fun, but I like Mammoth for some reason. I do want to hit SLO and maybe even Santa Cruz if I can swing it. Never ridden SLO.

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
I honestly didn't love Tahoe all that much last year.
Where did you ride? I ask this because there are far more places to ride in Tahoe than in Mammoth. This applies to both resort riding as well as DH suttles and epic XC rides. Tahoe is also much more easily accessible than Mammoth, which is more or less in the middle of nowhere.

If you wanna come ride Tahoe and need a tour guide, just let me know.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I was at N* the whole time. I know there are more XC trails and a better layout at the resort, but I never found a trail there that I completely loved. Maybe I would like it better the second time around since I think one part of it is that I was with a few slower kids and I had to wait around a lot for a week.

I'd definitely take dexterq20 up on his offer to show you around Tahoe. I'm biased though as I just don't like mammoth. The mountain is fine, but getting there sucks. Besides, just think of the goods he can show you as a local. Enjoy Utah and hit us with a report when you return.

Ringer

Monkey
Mar 4, 2008
SLO is a must hit. and ride santa cruz on your way down. skip mammoth and hit tohoe>Santa cruz>SLO. it's worth missing mammoth to hit the last 2.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Oregon's a little more out of the way than I want. This is supposed to augment my current route (more or less). If I wanted to really travel I'd go to Whistler.

I think I will take Dexter up on his offer, sounds like it would be worth it. SLO would be cool too but I'd need some trail help. Any good shops in the area that would point me towards the goods? Same goes with SC. I've ridden the trails that hit the 9 but I don't remember exactly how to access them.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
What bikes are you bringing?

Santa Cruz and Pacifica are worth a day. If you have an all mountain bike with you as well the options open up a lot more.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I'm going to be on a pretty light SX-Trail, so the all-mountain spots would be good. I haven't ridden in almost a year and the bike isn't even built yet so I don't plan on riding super gnarly stuff the whole time.

Tmeyer

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
SLC
I live in SLC and rode Deer Valley last week and will not return for $30 tickets as I just rode N* for $40 and all I can say is WOW! N* is really good, limewire, Gypsy, flume are all amazing. Also some really good XC, missing link, western states, Paige Meadows are only some. I would also suggest avoiding Mammoth and staying in Tahoe, amazing HUSH HUSH shuttles as well if you know the right people. I'm heading back to SLC on Wednesday so no go there. Feel free to hit me up when your in SLC, I can show you some good shuttles, def ride Bobsled, super fun. ridevt@gmail.com

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
Keep in mind Sol Vista is ONLY open on Friday/Saturday/Sunday. It's totally worth it though. Go to Winterpark also, it's twenty minutes from Sol Vista. Winterpark is amazing too but it's a pretty expensive area. 36 dollars for a list ticket, but it's worth it in my mind for one trail in particular. Keystone has a lot of construction right now with their new gondola so make sure to check their closures.

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
Bicyclist said:
I think I will take Dexter up on his offer, sounds like it would be worth it.
Right on, just gimme some advance notice so I can re-arrange my work schedule and get some days off to ride.

Bicyclist said:
SLO would be cool too but I'd need some trail help. Any good shops in the area that would point me towards the goods?
Talk to Art's Cyclery. Ask for Eric; you can tell him I referred you.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Lol. I am checking out Cal-Poly while I'm there so I'll be nice in case I end up there...

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I live in SLC and rode Deer Valley last week and will not return for $30 tickets as I just rode N* for $40 and all I can say is WOW! N* is really good, limewire, Gypsy, flume are all amazing. Also some really good XC, missing link, western states, Paige Meadows are only some. I would also suggest avoiding Mammoth and staying in Tahoe, amazing HUSH HUSH shuttles as well if you know the right people. I'm heading back to SLC on Wednesday so no go there. Feel free to hit me up when your in SLC, I can show you some good shuttles, def ride Bobsled, super fun. ridevt@gmail.com

I'm sending you an e-mail.

Price, thanks for the advice.

Dex, I'll PM you when everything's settled. Thanks again!

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Well, the trip is a lot longer going out to CO. I'm thinking of keeping it to UT and CA with gas how it is. Plus school starts the 31st and I don't think I'd have time anyways.

So now I just need to find some people who want to ride in SC, SLO, Tahoe and Mammoth.