Quantcast

help please! need recommendations and information from giant stp

ismael

Chimp
Mar 1, 2008
im about to get a brand new giant stp. but i didnt find the complete geometry of the frame. the fact is that i need the bottom bracket height, i think the frame is pretty good, but i rather to go for other one, if its too high from the BBH, so i would be grateful if somebody can help me to find the BBH. apart of that, i accept any comment of the frame from anyone who knows those frame. and if you think that i should look for other frames first, i'd appreciate your tips. im just looking for some frame low of BBH and short of Chainstay. (low for me is something under 12.3 inches)

i'll wait for comments. thanks and greetings

crkt

Monkey
Nov 5, 2008
In the woods
I love how giant doesn't even post those specs for their own bike... I have heard that the stp is long and low but I couldn't find the bbh either

Zenkis14

Monkey
Sep 20, 2009
IDK about the BBH, but I know I sure love my STP! :D

If you want to tell me exactly what to measure and where to measure from. I have a 07 STP Regular size, i can measure for ya.

ismael

Chimp
Mar 1, 2008
IDK about the BBH, but I know I sure love my STP! :D

If you want to tell me exactly what to measure and where to measure from. I have a 07 STP Regular size, i can measure for ya.
haha, seems like a good frame then.. i'd really appreciate if you could measure from the middle of the bolt of the cranks to the floor. surely the fork influences the measurement. what fork are you wearing?

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
. . surely the fork influences the measurement. . . .
if you are able to measure "bottom bracket drop" then fork height doesn't matter.

it is the measure of how far below (or above, for bmx) the bb is compared to a horizontal line between the front and rear axle.

specialized P bikes are known for having a low-ish bottom bracket....

Can you tell anything from this photo ? Just a slight BB drop... Maybe 5 or 10mm ?

Last edited:

ismael

Chimp
Mar 1, 2008
if you are able to measure "bottom bracket drop" then fork height doesn't matter.

it is the measure of how far below (or above, for bmx) the bb is compared to a horizontal line between the front and rear axle.

specialized P bikes are known for having a low-ish bottom bracket....
zenkis, maybe you know how to apply that. (forgive me for asking to much)
tnx cmc.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track

Actually, axle to crown height of a fork still affects bb drop. A lower a2c would give you more (lower) drop and vice versa. The benefit of using bb drop (or rise) over bb height is that it negates any variation in rim or tire diameter. But, I also think it's pretty commonly understood for manufacturers to just use half of the standard wheel diameter plus or minus the bb drop when stating the bb height. Example: .5" in bb drop on a 26" inch bike would be 12.5" (13 - .5).

Giant doesn't list bb height because of all the variables that play into the actual height. But, I measured a few to be about 12.4" with a 490 a2c fork.

Last edited:

ismael

Chimp
Mar 1, 2008
i guess the most simple way is just throwing a ruler to the bb drop then. depending the fork, i hope the measure comes from some 100mm fork.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
sorry dog, fork height has everything to do with the BBD. put a 6" fork on that p bike and your BB height will move up about an inch or so above axle line...

edit: cru already stated this..
i guess i said that wrong... of course a tall fork will raise the bb up b/c your bike is tilted up in the front.... but the cockpit feeling of feet to hands--that's what i see as being the real bb height issue. i think the question assumed we were talking about a stock dirt jumper fork, i.e. 80mm DJ 3. assuming that fork, you can kind of look at pictures and compare bb height to axle level. that is all.

Last edited: