Quantcast

Help rebuilding Marzocchi XCR front shocks

stra4d

Chimp
Jun 1, 2010
Hi

Looking to do a rebuild on my Marzocchi XCR (from my early to mid 90s Stumpjumper) front shocks. Does anybody have a service manual or instructions on how to do this? I can't seem to find out how to get them apart. There are no bolts on the bottom, and there doesn't appear to be a way in through the top (under the air valve cap).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Scott

Racebike

Monkey
Jul 28, 2008
Sweden
If memory serves me right, you need to empty out the air and use a tool threaded on to the valves to push them into the fork slightly.

Then remove the retaining clips that held the top caps down and pull the top caps out.

stra4d

Chimp
Jun 1, 2010
If memory serves me right, you need to empty out the air and use a tool threaded on to the valves to push them into the fork slightly.

Then remove the retaining clips that held the top caps down and pull the top caps out.
Racebike

Thanks for the reply. I don't have such a tool but is there something else I could use instead? Maybe slipping a slightly larger socket over the threaded valve and pushing on that? How much force are we talking here?

Regards,
Scott

Racebike

Monkey
Jul 28, 2008
Sweden
Sure, a socket will work to push it in.

The problem is pulling the top cap out after you remove the clip, that's where the tool comes in handy.

I guess you could buy a metal valve cover (a burly one) and use a pair of pliers to pull the whole thing out with the cover on the valve stem.

But bear in mind that those suckers are really delicate, you have to pull straight out, no side fumbling. ;)

stra4d

Chimp
Jun 1, 2010
What is the proper tool called? Who makes one? There doesn't appear to be anything on the Marzocchi site (although I suppose nobody makes a fork the same way they used to).

Thanks,
Scott

Racebike

Monkey
Jul 28, 2008
Sweden
Check this out:

Something similar but with the thread that encloses the valve stem a lot further from the "handle" so that it can reach down a bit. We have the marzo tool in our shop, but it's old as hell and I doubt you can get a new one nowadays.

That fork is old and parts are few and far between.

stra4d

Chimp
Jun 1, 2010
Would that fit this valve? That tool doesn't specify whether or not it fits a standard schrader valve or the smaller version that is on the fork.