Quantcast

HELP: Stinky Dee-lux losing hangar

tomacdaddy

Monkey
Feb 2, 2005
Minturn, CO
I am posting this for my riding partner.

Four times in two weeks he has blown his rear wheel (Atomlab Trailpimp DHR). The derailleur is slipping into the spokes... We were convinced that when he was landing sideways the wheel was flexing and would catch the derailleur. This weekend there was no jump, nothing sideways, no reason for the wheel to flex. The stops have been checked and rechecked. There is a Deemax on the way and another XT shorty.
We are going to Silverton in 2 weeks and I don't want to blow our trip b/c of some b*s* part. The only thing I can think is that the hangar is so weenie that it cannot handle the torque. It looks really weak.
Has anyone else had this problem??? Does anyone know where to get machined hangars for the Stinky???
--HELP--

Konabumm

Konaboner
Jun 13, 2003
Hollywood, Maryland, United States
I'm pretty sure there should be a letter on the back of the hanger. Match that up with the ones on the website and your all set. They are like 15 bucks.

Or goto your LBS and have the use at hanger tool on it and straighten it out

Handlebarsfsr

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
ct
im having the same problem, in 3 rides ive killed 3 derailleurs and had to rebuild my rear wheel twice. ive had this happen to both shimano and sram derailleurs, but shimano seemed to be more forgiving, the srams both broke on their first rides. the same thing happened to my buddy who also has a stinky, and its getting pretty old. the hanger you need is the "k" hanger, which is the standard kona hanger for 2000-2004 kona bikes. any shop that carries qbp can order it.

Apr 9, 2004
Mount Carmel,PA
actually it is the "H" hanger. sounds like a bent hanger or derallier cage. get your wheels tentioned, buy a new hanger, and if needed fix the derallier. a good trick to keep the cage from the spokes is to lock out the big gear in the back. this will keep the derallier at a safe distance. whats your chain length like? maybe quit using that gear when flying down hill it is a climbing gear!!

tomacdaddy

Monkey
Feb 2, 2005
Minturn, CO
Finding the stock hangar is not a problem. He has put 3 brand new hangars and 3 brand new der.s on the bike. All of this has been tuned by the Kona dealer who sold him the frame.

Trust me -- this guy is not in his climbing gear when the wheel goes. He is an experienced DH/Freerider and likes to go as fast as possible and rarely sees the big rings on the cassette. Trust me. And his chain length was established by the Kona mechanic who also rides a Stinky D - he hasn't blown anything but I am sure his rig is not rollin full throttle 90% of the time.

dvasis

Chimp
Feb 15, 2005
out hunting hippies
wait, if it is shifting into the spokes, it could be because of lack of that clear plastic disc that usually comes on new bikes. its there for a reason and will protect you deemaxes.

prerogative

Chimp
Aug 1, 2002
Danvers, MA
Hmmm . . . Stinky P here, never had any problems with chain/der in spokes, and ripped the plastic thingy off before riding both Stinkys.

Guessing here, just some thoughts: How's the chain-line - did he change it (add guide); is it catching the tire (over 2.5" tires); wheel centered on seatstay & chainstay (with axle bottomed); has he tried using a different hub; did he add a chainstay protector; was the wheel built for FR, or loose for XC . . . ?

keefer268

Chimp
Jul 1, 2005
same thing happened to me this weekend at mt snow. I was riding and i hit a small bump and the next thing i knew the rear der. was off, 8 spokes were broken, cassete was ruined, and the chain was destroyed. I hope this isnt a common thing for konas.

Apr 9, 2004
Mount Carmel,PA
Ihave been riding Konas since 2000, and have never had this problem. I just sold my 2004 stinky delux. I raced it for the entire season last year and never had a problem. Our shop also sell Konas, and outside of the old stick in the Derailler, no problems . I have bent a ton of hangers, including the beefy one on my new Stab Supreme, but that is due to some hard crashes. Get a good Mechanic to chek out all the possibilities. How is your chain length? maybe a little too short?