Quantcast

Help with Chain ring size

SamB

Chimp
Dec 4, 2007
New Zealand
I'm building up an Avent 4x frame to use as a trail/mini dh bike.

I'm going to be running a SRAM 12-26 roadie cassette, and I'm not sure what size chain ring to run. At the moment I'm thinking either a 32 or 34t. I have seen an E13 32t special come up for a really good price second hand, but don't want to waste my $$ only to realize that I need a bigger chain ring.

I want to be able to do a fair bit of trail riding on it, but don't want to spin out on the downhills either. (The tracks here aren't all that fast anyway)

What do you guys think?

Cheers,
Sam

b1k3_r1d3r

Monkey
Jul 6, 2005
i have a 34 (with a modified lg1 to replicate the new xcx but with a taco) and race collegiate xc on my trance. I usually wish i had something bigger except for some of the technical climbs where i would like to keep my cadence up. e-13 makes a 35t. thats a pretty reasonable compromise between a 34 and 36t if you plan on doing a decent amount of xc. I know 1 tooth doesnt make a huge different but it will make enough if you look into it.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
32 or 34 is fun for a jump bike but when you get it on the trails you end up spinning out and having a lot of chain slap due to always running on the smallest cogs in the rear. I say go bigger and run a bigger rear cluster only when you know you have a lot of climbing to do.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
36T with an 11-28 cassette should get you up and down most trails without getting off and pushing or spinning out.

maybe an 11-32 if you have a few steeper/longer climbs.

static9

Chimp
Jun 17, 2004
Santa Cruz, Ca
the smallest i would go is 34, i think you would spin out on a 32. 36 would probably work too but with a 12-26 it may be a bit much. roadie cassettes change the game up quite a bit.