Quantcast

Help with cornering....

thePINKster

Monkey
Jan 31, 2006
bay area, Cali
hey ladies, i'm a fellow chick rider, and my main objective this off-season was to get better at cornering. well, the time is getting shorter, and the days are closer to sea otter but i still want to improve.
My main question, is how can i practice cornering when the trails are too wet to ride?
I'm just really determined this year as a racer, so any help is appreciated.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
the techniques are the same on road or dirt. Find some road rides or firetrails or farm roads. Practice on them... you should still be able to rail around corners at high speed and practice your countersteering or angulation, and same goes for outrigger turns. It's getting your body and bike used to the movements. Either that or visualize while riding your trainer.

geargrrl

dhjill

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
SD Cali
If any of you local BMX tracks are open, give that a try. Most tracks are cool with MTBs on the track, but they might make you put a padset on your bike just to me legal. For myself, I found that a lot of my cornering "demons" were because I was braking in the turns...mostly out of habit. When I starting racing BMX, I found that I wasn't really using my brakes that much at all, so it broke my habit.

Like Geargrrl said, you can also practice on the pavement. Set up some cones, rocks, or whatever and just start turning around them. Practice keeping your chin up and looking thorugh your turns.

Good luck! :-)