Quantcast

Help with DH College Choice

Nov 28, 2004
For anyone in college: I smack in the middle of my app process. I'm considering UBC, alot of UCs, University of Colorado. Does anyone know what the FR/DH scene is like at these schools or have recommendations on where else i should apply?

-Thanks alot

dromond

Monkey
Aug 20, 2002
Northampton, MA
I know a guy that goes to UBC. Apparently the school has a lodge at whistler that costs like $5 a night to stay in, and there's a bus that goes up there every weekend.... :eek:

Beast

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Where the riding is good
I was considering UBC myself, but decided to stay in state in the end . . . would've been sweet though - anyways, CU Boulder has a pretty big scene, somewhere in the teens, and Boulder is packed with some awesome riders. Ft. Lewis has a HUGE crew - prolly in the 20's. As far as collegiate DH, colorado is where it's at, check out the results from nats year after year - Colorado schools dominate. Other than racing, the DH/DJ scene in colorado is off the charts, and stuff is popping up everywhere to ride, to race, or to kick back - and we've got a killer race series. I'm not gonna be moving to another state anytime soon, and I don't think I ever will . . .

here i ssomething to think about on the fort lewis crew. they were strong enough to get leanna gerard (sp?) to ride for them. and if you don;t know who she is she won collegiate nats this year in DH and DS, oh and she is a full ride from cannondale, and won a national 4x last year as well as getting 4th at sand point in 4x. so they have a really solid program, especially in the dh/ds area

animal 52

Chimp
Aug 23, 2002
As much as I hope this isn't your primary criterion for choosing what college to attend, I'll put in my two cents for UCSB. Tunnel trail, need I say more...

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
western washington university has a dh team. the races aren"t so hot though. BC cup races are close and oregon is good too. Whistler is 2.5-3hrs away. shore is 1-1.5hrs

www.wwucycling.com

elderz

Chimp
Jul 31, 2004
Santa Cruz, CA
UCSB definately has potential, but the team do4es very little DH/FR. more people into it might change that, who knows. good mountains though (as long as you have a car to get you there).

dcamp29

Monkey
Feb 14, 2004
Colorado
cu boulder. riding sucks but there is some good dj and we have most of the fast guys in college, but they can't seem to finish a collegiate race.

May 24, 2002
Boulder CO
I can promise if CU is healthy in 05 we will absolutly destroy FLC. Mark my words. I will quit racing if CU's mens DH team does not destroy FLC's mens DH team...

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
neversummersnow said:
I can promise if CU is healthy in 05 we will absolutly destroy FLC. Mark my words. I will quit racing if CU's mens DH team does not destroy FLC's mens DH team...

theres this one guy on FLC's team named Paul hes got a blue M3, just punch him at the next college race :thumb:

whoopnar

Monkey
Sep 11, 2004
Chico, CA
Fort Lewis has a great team. They did well at Nationals. If you are looking to come to the West Coast, UCSB, Cal Poly San Luis Obispo and Chico State have some dam good Dh riders.

biker3

Turbo Monkey
neversummersnow said:
Thats some bold trash talk. But my college decision is also nearing and Im tempted to be a home town homey here at the UofA but id MUCH rather go somewhere in CO. Hows the party scene at Boulder? I know boulder is a kickass town but how does it compare to durango? Do both places have decent night life or what? Are there any kind of significant racing scholarships for Dhers or do they pretty much shun or type off?

May 24, 2002
Boulder CO
CU is a real school, FLC is like a big high school. The reason you go to college is to walk away with a bunch of cool friends, good experiences and a meaningfull degree. CU stomps FLC in every which way.

CU has a pretty nuts party scene. It can become a real big distraction at times. The girls are attractive, there is a ton to do, you're in a real city. There is a reason why Sports Illustrated calls Boulder "As close to a college town gets to heaven..."

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
biker3 said:
Thats some bold trash talk. But my college decision is also nearing and Im tempted to be a home town homey here at the UofA but id MUCH rather go somewhere in CO. Hows the party scene at Boulder? I know boulder is a kickass town but how does it compare to durango? Do both places have decent night life or what? Are there any kind of significant racing scholarships for Dhers or do they pretty much shun or type off?
Party scene at Boulder? HAHA, CU was the number 1 party school in the country last year!

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
might wanna check the u of montana in missoula. not a team but im trying to start one. campus has sicker riding than cu, but the dj scene sucks (redneck kids ruin them) 3 skate parks-2 indoor. 20 minute drive to the top of a 14 mile dh. 10 hours from whistler, 4 from fernie, lots of cool trails everywhere and this kid who has a sick jump, drop, freeride, dj's in his backyard

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
ohh and btw from what iv heard (and what jeff wont tell you cuz he doesnt party hes just a book worm) cu has gotten really strict this year after the whole football scandle. dont even try using a fake id at the bars unless its a real id and the person looks identical to you (me and my buddies learned this the hard way) and the dorms are even gayer about letting alchy in

heikkihall

Monkey
Dec 14, 2001
Durango, CO
neversummersnow said:
Id keep your mouth shut or get ready to quit then Jeff! :p

heikkihall

Monkey
Dec 14, 2001
Durango, CO
neversummersnow said:
CU is a real school, FLC is like a big high school. The reason you go to college is to walk away with a bunch of cool friends, good experiences and a meaningfull degree.
I agree with all that, but your statement about CU killing FLC in everyway is based alot on opinion. I love Durango. Its one of the coolest places Ive ever been and location has ALOT to do with where I choose to spend 4 years of my life. When I went to Boulder I really liked the town, liked the school and originally had planned on going there. But there was something about it that turned me away. Who knows maybe Ill do grad school there if I can get in. For me I know that Durango was a better choice. There are plenty of people at fort lewis though that would be alot better off in boulder.

If you want to get super quick at riding and racing downhill then Fort Lewis would be a good choice.

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
elderz said:
UCSB definately has potential, but the team do4es very little DH/FR. more people into it might change that, who knows. good mountains though (as long as you have a car to get you there).
Another vote for UCSB, there are a ton of fun shuttle trails here and a very large cycling community.

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
WheelieMan said:
Party scene at Boulder? HAHA, CU was the number 1 party school in the country last year!
Are you serious? Cuz I can tell you, having visited Boulder just a few months ago, that the party scene there ain't got sh!t on what goes down here at UC Santa Barbara. And no, I don't actually have any numbers to back up this claim, but I certainly believe UCSB is a lot crazier than Boulder.

May 24, 2002
Boulder CO
This is def. a my dad is bigger than your dad argument. I planned on everybody seeing the sarcasm and cockiness in my statement against FLC's riders...We're all good friends during the summer and the rivalries run deep in the fall, that's all there is to it, FLC has shown for 2 years in a row they are stronger, I'm just 19 and love to run my mouth.

Yes, if you want to get super fast at DH, FLC probably offers more in the way of racing, being that there are more racers per capita in Durango than any other city in the US.

I'm not knocking FLC as a school, but when push comes to shove, CU is far and above a better school acedemically. IT IS A REAL D1 school. That's all I'm saying. The party scene...yeah, if you have any doubts its always ranked in the top ten, regardless of what anybody says...I wont lie, it's more than I can handle...

heikkihall

Monkey
Dec 14, 2001
Durango, CO
Yea I also hope there wasnt misunderstanding with me. The rivalry between CU and FLC cycling is really intense but its fun to crack jokes at them once in a while. I consider myself to be good friends with basically everyone that I know on the Boulder gravity team. Both schools are fun.

Metal

President of FRONJ
Oct 17, 2001
Orange County, CA
heikkihall said:
Yea I also hope there wasnt misunderstanding with me. The rivalry between CU and FLC cycling is really intense but its fun to crack jokes at them once in a while. I consider myself to be good friends with basically everyone that I know on the Boulder gravity team. Both schools are fun.
Both CU and FLC best be watchin' out. Cal Poly Pomona is on a mission. We have just recruitted a bunch of BMX'ers who ride flatland and street. In 2005 we have high hopes. We plan to send 2 member to Nationals, and only one is going to kill it.

Oh, on a side note. Since Cal Poly Pomona's party scene is worse than your average jr. high, we have way more time to ride.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
why would you go to college to get better at DHing????? i hope you have other plans as well. Fort Lewis has 2 nicknames here in the east "fort leasure" and "F'ing Last Chance." most likely attributed to their rigerous academics no doubt. . . a friend of mine left after a semester cause it was so easy.

ps. . . . UVM has the best uncoached, fully student run team in the country hands down. and obviously one of the best DH teams out there, at least 11 really fast riders but no one takes college racing too seriously. go to FLC or Boulder for sure if you need a coach to wipe your ass and make your bed :nuts:

sam_little

Monkey
May 18, 2003
Portland, OR
neversummersnow said:
Neversummersnow... are you the guy that was at a guy named Jamie's cabin party out in the woods near Nederland outside of Boulder a couple of years ago? The person I'm thinking of was demonstrating their lack of regard for their knees by doing a running jump off a fifteen foot deck to hard ground. They were sponsored by Never Summer (which rocks, by the way).

sam_little

Monkey
May 18, 2003
Portland, OR
You should probably also consider what you want to do with your life before choosing a school (as much as a 17/18 year old can) Lots of schools have great riding. Some have great riding and good liberal arts. Some have great riding and good engineering. Few have it all. So... what do you want to do? Keep in mind that your chances of becoming an engineer for a major bike company are VERY slim.

My initial votes:
Engineering and riding/surfing: Cal Poly SLO
Environmental Sciences and liberal arts and riding/surfing: UCSB
Natural Sciences and riding/skiing: CSU FC (though riding is more distant)
Engineering and riding/skiing: Boulder
Hard Sciences and skiing/riding: UN Reno

I don't know the east coast schools that well, but I hear Middlebury (sp?) is great if your daddy/mommy is rich-as-hell, but seeing as FLC is on your list, your academics may not take you there. I guess UVM already got a vote, too.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
sam_little said:
Environmental Sciences and liberal arts and riding/surfing: UCSB
The Engineering, Physics and Geography programs are all exceptional too.

UCSB just scooped up a Nobel Lauriate for Economics too (not that it'll make a damn bit of difference in undergrad education)

sam_little

Monkey
May 18, 2003
Portland, OR
Zark said:
The Engineering, Physics and Geography programs are all exceptional too.

UCSB just scooped up a Nobel Lauriate for Economics too (not that it'll make a damn bit of difference in undergrad education)
Ditto on the geography. Some of my best profs. came out of the UCSB Geo. program. They also have the world leader in active tectonics in their geology department. With the geography you end up with the ability to terrain model surrounding areas to scope out hidden ridges, drainages, etc. for your trail building pleasure. I'm giving that a go for my area as we speak.

marlopez

Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
West LA
CAL POLY SLO
best riding ever. we have the best dh riders. and our team has been mountain champions 7 years in a row including this year

SuperJ

Chimp
Feb 2, 2003
Tahoe
Sierra Nevada College your 20 minutes from northstar, 40 minutes from giger grade, an hour away from some crazy dj's, for about 2 months you can ride the tyrolian dh which ends at the school and sky tavern. class sizes are small and there is a decent party scene

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
SuperJ said:
Sierra Nevada College your 20 minutes from northstar, 40 minutes from giger grade, an hour away from some crazy dj's, for about 2 months you can ride the tyrolian dh which ends at the school and sky tavern. class sizes are small and there is a decent party scene
I know a couple of people that graduated from that school and they don't really have great things to say about it or the profs there. You go there don't you?

I keep hearing more and more about giger grade.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
sam_little said:
You should probably also consider what you want to do with your life before choosing a school (as much as a 17/18 year old can) Lots of schools have great riding. Some have great riding and good liberal arts. Some have great riding and good engineering. Few have it all.
That's the ticket. Sure, you can have qualifications for where you want to go, but don't base your future on what school has good riding. Think about what you want to do, pick schools based on that and other secondary requirements and then go to the best place you can afford, get into and are willing to go to. In my experience, school is mostly what you make of it and, even in the same school, experiences vary greatly.

BTW, I go to Middlebury and, no, not everyone is rich as hell, though there are certainly such people. The riding is pretty good, I compete for our team and an thoroughly enjoying myself.

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
sam_little said:
Ditto on the geography. Some of my best profs. came out of the UCSB Geo. program. They also have the world leader in active tectonics in their geology department.
That would be Tanya Atwater. Nice lady. :p

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
dromond said:
I know a guy that goes to UBC. Apparently the school has a lodge at whistler that costs like $5 a night to stay in, and there's a bus that goes up there every weekend.... :eek:
This is indeed the case from what I have heard, hoping to be there in September myself.

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
Transcend said:
This is indeed the case from what I have heard, hoping to be there in September myself.
Is UBC difficult for an American to get into? Also is it pricy for Americans? I was looking there recently as I'll be applying to colleges in the next year or two.