Quantcast

Help With My Brakes??

TBC

Chimp
Oct 18, 2005
Well after about 2 months of hard riding my rear 6 inch Hayes HFX 9 decided to stop working and i am not sure whats wrong.

Symptoms-
NO power-
And the lever can be pulled to where its touching the grip-

Theres no signs of leaking or any damage.
I've never had to work on disc brakes before so i dont know if it just needs bleed or something.

Thanks,
TBC

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
did the lever reach adjustment screw back itself way out? That could be why it is reaching the grip.

If not and you see no bulges or any sings of damage (which you say you dont) it probubly just needs to be bled. most likely you have gotten air in the system.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
TBC said:
Well after about 2 months of hard riding my rear 6 inch Hayes HFX 9 decided to stop working and i am not sure whats wrong.

Symptoms-
NO power-
And the lever can be pulled to where its touching the grip-

Theres no signs of leaking or any damage.
I've never had to work on disc brakes before so i dont know if it just needs bleed or something.

Thanks,
TBC
Brakes don't just all of a sudden "need to be bled" as the guy above suggested. If it needs to be bled, it means hydraulic fluid has LEAKED out somehow. With the hayes, I'd look at the 2-piece caliper (if that's the caliper you have) and look closely at the seems and see if there's any wetness around the seems of the caliper. My hayes were pretty bad about leaking from there, and it would give the same exact symptoms. I'd bleed it, then a few days later it would be crap again. That fluid is going somewhere, either it's leaking at the caliper, at the line junctions, or in the lever.

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
yeh thats why my mags have been running for what five years now. yeh i think you are seriously mistaken my friend.

ohh and check adjustment screw and then if that doesnt work try bleeding them and see what that does.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
frznnomad said:
yeh thats why my mags have been running for what five years now. yeh i think you are seriously mistaken my friend.

ohh and check adjustment screw and then if that doesnt work try bleeding them and see what that does.
I didnt have any problems with my nines, but from what I have seen the hayes that havbe problems always do and always will and the ones that dont are fine. The hopes or formulas do ahve way more power and way better modulation

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
TheMontashu said:
I didnt have any problems with my nines, but from what I have seen the hayes that havbe problems always do and always will and the ones that dont are fine. The hopes or formulas do ahve way more power and way better modulation

Mags have plenty of modulation. And hopes have no stopping power at all.

TBC

Chimp
Oct 18, 2005
i found out why i didnt find any leakyness my bike was in my room and it soaked into the carpet:dead: so i didnt see it.....

Its the fitting on the olive on the caliper.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
TBC said:
i found out why i didnt find any leakyness my bike was in my room and it soaked into the carpet:dead: so i didnt see it.....

Its the fitting on the olive on the caliper.
Yep, law of conservation of mass. That fluid has GOT to go somewhere. You just don't get out on a ride and suddenly figure out that you need to bleed your brakes, there's something else that has caused the fluid to leave, and bleeding won't help until you actually fix the problem. Glad you found it.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
TheMontashu said:
then you have never ridden a properly set up pair of hopes

I have though. They do not have much power at all. I'd rather ride my hayes. Plus who are you to say what has power you weigh like 115 pounds. :rofl:

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
TheMontashu said:
I can still feel a diference in power.
Eh, I guess that is reasonable. But the hopes still don't have nearly enough power for me. And far too much modulation. And whats even worse is everyone just says "oh, well it's a race brake" when really it just sucks.

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
i can deffinatly see where your comming from. everyone has there own opinions about brakes and will run what they like. i personally think my 5 year old mags are great, have plenty of modulation, and well everyone knows that hayes are known for power. so hope we helped out a little man good luck with them.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Well of course we all are aware of Buying Hope will solve all your brake issues. However my guess is for these Hayes is the brake line is bad. Hayes have been known for the internal line to rupture causing fluid to leak out inside the line, where you will never see any signs of fluid. Replace the brake line and your problem should be solved.

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
wow someone didnt read at all. ohh and the line is 2 months old man i highly dought that the line is the problem. ohh and it also helps that there was a huge pile of fluid in the carpet and a bad o-ring.