Quantcast

help with volunteer trail build marketing?

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
I am working on a marketing campaign for our volunteer trail days this year in Teton Valley, Idaho. We are going to have four distinct events, and want to promote them effectively. Could folks help with links to examples of other marketing efforts that have been really effective in getting folks out to dig? Internet sites, brochures, community involvement reciprocal efforts, any and all good examples that we could emulate, basically. Thanks in advance!

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
rideit said:
I am working on a marketing campaign for our volunteer trail days this year in Teton Valley, Idaho. We are going to have four distinct events, and want to promote them effectively. Could folks help with links to examples of other marketing efforts that have been really effective in getting folks out to dig? Internet sites, brochures, community involvement reciprocal efforts, any and all good examples that we could emulate, basically. Thanks in advance!
Just curious, what's the population of Teton Valley? And where are most of the people who ride there from?

I comment because I do trail work in Downieville, and it is usually the same 7 or 8 people every month. Convincing someone who lives 3 hours away to spend the weekend digging is a task.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Some ideas:
- Get shops to kick in swag or coupons. Besides the LBS, we've had Quiznos, Papa John's, and Subway as sponsors.
- Any races you could work with? They had maintenance here where racing participants received race series points for showing up.
- Local 'zines to advertise in?

sam_little

Monkey
May 18, 2003
Portland, OR
Not really a marketing campaign...

For good trail days, you need - as GW puts is - a base. Core builders that are always present and knowledgeable about specific short term and general long term goals. I think the best way to achieve this is with an association, club, whatever.

We have been pretty successful in this regard. Our website is set up such that anyone can visit, and then the "base" gets the word out to others. We push a free/small donation group feed at lunch time and the chance to meet and greet other local riders. It has to be viewed as an "fun event" rather than a "work day" to get people interested, especially if you're looking to pull them in from a distance.

Check out the progress on our trails under the pictures section of the website above. TRAIL DAYS WORK!

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
I have the fundamental marketing elements covered, as in local shops, restaurants, etc, as well as paper ads, magazine ads,etc. We have the owner of the local ski area willing to throw down season's passes, day passes, music festival passes, and lot's more. What we don't have is a cohesive 'brand' image in which to entice repeat volunteers. Last year we had 60 people come to one event (This is a town of 3-4000 or so, that is a HUGE turnout) but basically no-one but the same three or four came after that. We need to relay that repeat volunteerism could reap great perks, as well as great post dig parties.
A little more that marketing 101, I am looking for multi-year campaigns that other trail groups have found effective. Thanks so far!
We already have a well established advocacy group, TVTAP (teton valley trails and pathways) with a website, but it is not sexy enough for my tastes.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
THAT is what I seek...please send links to whatever your local trail groups sites are...I should have been more specific!
The sponsorships are really interesting. Thanks! Keep em' coming!

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
rideit said:
what works/ed for us here in Spokompton is to get on board with all the local publications that have even a remote outdoors content and make sure to get a calendar listsing. Then, we contacted the outdoors editors and submitted press release and had them do little interest features on our club's projects.

Also, posting to the regional boards here and at mtbr.com is a good way to get the word out, lots of lurkers out there.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Our local trail site: http://www.saratogamtb.org/

Last year, we advertised our events with flyers at our LBS, other local businesses and in local newspapers and ended up with an excellent turnout. Definitely try to get some swag from your LBS and other local businesses. (I can't find the link to the flyer right now). Also, most local radio stations make announcements for upcoming events, so you might be able to get that going as well.

Good luck!

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
Our club maintains trails in a lot of parks which means there is a lot of opportunity for people to come out but it also means volunteers can be quite thin at some events. Here's how I've gotten the word out and have consistently made our days get large groups of volunteers.

- Put the word out early and often. People are busy and need to plan, last minute notice means less people. Three weeks before the event I send an email to the locals who usually show up for work or should show up for work, including local shops. I also post a notice on the club's message board, Ride Monkey's local area, a regional single speed mailing list I maintain, MTBR's local board and a notice on my web site. One week before the event I send out a reminder.

- Flyers: post them at the trailhead you will be working at. Lots of people have no idea the event will happen otherwise.

- BEER. Several times I've had the trail workers back to my place and provided beer (I've got a kegerator) and we've fired up the grill and had a pot luck. Free beer draws crowds.

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
Are they MTB only trails or multi-use? Multi-use trails generally get more people to show up. People that do participate in TM tend to work on what trails they use / ride on.

You may be able to have a TM day that also involves the local hikers and horse people. If it's a DH or trail system that is only used for bikes, obviously this won't work. You can try making up some fliers for the trail days and visit local bike shops and see if they are willing to post them in the shop. We had mixed results. Had over 50 people show up for the first TM day, probably around 15 on the second.

More Info Here