Quantcast

help with work please!!

bigginsis

Monkey
Jun 20, 2004
standing at the edge of reason
long story short - i write the schedule for all of the librarians who sit at the reference desk. my supervisor, who is on the schedule, is really bad about showing up and being there for her time. what do i do? i write it a semester in advance so it's not like i'm springing anything on her but how do i go to my boss (who already hates me) and try to smack her hand about blowing off desk duty?
ignore it? confront it?

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
if its not your job to inforce the schedule, don't try to. if other people are having to fill in her shift, they should say something. if the desk is just empty when she is suposed to be there, let it be empty. someone will find out and say something, or if it doesnt really matter, then she will continue to get away with it. however, if it is your job to make out and enforce the schedule, then i would say something to her about it. then i would go above her. that'll really get her on your good side.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
laura said:
if its not your job to inforce the schedule, don't try to. if other people are having to fill in her shift, they should say something. if the desk is just empty when she is suposed to be there, let it be empty. someone will find out and say something, or if it doesnt really matter, then she will continue to get away with it.
:stupid:

laura said:
however, if it is your job to make out and enforce the schedule, then i would say something to her about it. then i would go above her. that'll really get her on your good side.
This sucks, but you could wait for a complaint from a Library patron or something, then a nice email to your boss CC'ing her superior as well should really get the job done. My emails usually start with this

"Employee name, this is just to follow up with the conversation we had regarding........." :nuts:

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
laura said:
if its not your job to inforce the schedule, don't try to. if other people are having to fill in her shift, they should say something. if the desk is just empty when she is suposed to be there, let it be empty.
I agree. Let it ride. Eventually it will work itself out when someone complains no one is at the desk.

J

JRB

People cannot get to the circ desk, nor do they read shelves like they should. They always think they are too important. It was a chore when I worked PT in the library in San Antonio, and remains a struggle for Julie with her reference librarian. Julie and the director spend a good deal of time there. It is a medical library so most requests are emailed. Just leave it unattended and make patrons go find her so she looks stupid.

bigginsis

Monkey
Jun 20, 2004
i'm in a medical library too - but all the admin level people are too busy begging people to donate money to us to actually manage this joint. as soon as i find a new gig i'm nothing but ass and elbows out the door.

J

JRB

bigginsis said:
i'm in a medical library too - but all the admin level people are too busy begging people to donate money to us to actually manage this joint. as soon as i find a new gig i'm nothing but ass and elbows out the door.

Where at??? I can just imagine. I was just at MLA for the southcentral chapter with Julie, and many of those people seemed like lazy piles of crap.

s1ngletrack

Monkey
Aug 17, 2004
Denver
Better yet - tell everyone here what days and time she is supposed to be at that desk and whether or not she made it - then have us, in turn, call and complain that nobody was watching the desk / the person working the desk was rude / the person wokring the desk spit on us, etc... That'll fix your short little troll of a boss. Over the course of a month or so everything will fall into place (with some help -of course)

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
bigginsis said:
it is not my job to enforce (those words are straight from my boss) so i think i will let it ride and hope the universe sets things right.
thanks for the advice!!

What comes around goes around...I'm a firm believer in this...I've seen it happen many a time...it may take some time to come back around, but she will eventually get hers...

bigginsis

Monkey
Jun 20, 2004
loco-gringo said:
Where at??? I can just imagine. I was just at MLA for the southcentral chapter with Julie, and many of those people seemed like lazy piles of crap.
East Carolina School of Medicine in NC. But I was a member of the south central chapter when I lived in Baton Rouge. I worked at Pennington Biomedical Research Center and did interlibrary loan so I am sure I did business with Julie's library. Small world huh?

And yeah - lazy is a good word. Some of us are good and forward-thinking but most others just want to surf the net all day (like me)