Quantcast

Hematoma or Dom. 5 for use with Mallet pedal?

Superdeft

Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
East Coast
I've decided that I'd like to put some Mallet pedals on my hardail to avod my feet getting bucked off going over the bumpy stuff at high speed. I love my a-frames and vans, but they're not cutting it on the trail when I really get up to speed. This is becoming a nuisance to the point where it seems being clipped in would help out a great deal.

I'm not worried so much about foot protection as I am about comfort and grip on the platform. The two shoes it's come down to are the sidi dominator 5 and adidas hematoma.

The main issue is grip on the mallet platform: should I need to unclip, I'd want to be able to balance/ride until I can clip back in. I imagine the hard sole and limited area of the sidi shoe is going to be hard, but am I going to slip off instantly? I tried on a pair of dominators at the local rei, and was impressed by the fit and comfort, and I can't imagine the adidas being any less comfortable than the xc-type shoes.

I like the weight and freedom of motion afforded by the sidi shoes, but the price and grip of the hematoma is better. Is the weight-savings an issue?

Input from people that use one of the three parts would be great!

sd

oh and here are the pics of shoes/pedal:

Banga

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Wellington, New Zealand
I run hematomas on old school dx pedals, they are the best shoe for that type pf pedal ever.
I have no expeiance with mallets
but I would think the hematoma would be a better bet than the dominator

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
if you're going from flats to clipless I reccomend you make the transition nice and simple:

they are SPD but still have a skate sole for good solid contact with the pedal when not clipped in. Hematomas have NO traction on the sole and are skinny as crap at the arch.

Superdeft

Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
East Coast
Thanks for the 661 recomendation, but I'm looking for a little stiffer power transfer along with the grip. :thumb:

edit: have you tried the hematoma shoe? if the sole is hard rubber it may not be worth the extra weight.

dhtahoe

I LOVE NORBA!!!!
Feb 4, 2002
Flying Low Living Fast
I have the hematoma/mallet combo. My wife has the sidi/mallet and I had to cut the hell out of the sidi soles to make them work, and I hate grinding on a brand new pair of $200 sidi's.

Superdeft

Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
East Coast
hmm, sounds like the adidas one is a safer bet, do you need shims/mods at all? Also if you've got a few min, could you describe the sole and overall feel of the shoe?

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I have 3 pairs of sidis and 2 pairs of mallets. I haven't had to cut any of the soles and I'm not using any shims. Maybe I got lucky, but for me it has been a good combo. Honestly, I'm just a Sidi whore.

JTVW

Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
somewhere hot
Sanjay uses Hematomas doesn't he? There's reason enough to wear 'em. If only they made me ride like him...err...I mean...you ride like him.....

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Superdeft said:
Thanks for the 661 recomendation, but I'm looking for a little stiffer power transfer along with the grip.
ummm...not stiff enough...you ever try to bend the sole in one of these? They're not like the Vans Exacerbate that flops like a banana peel. They're frickin stiff.

Superdeft

Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
East Coast
buildyourown said:
I have 3 pairs of sidis and 2 pairs of mallets. I haven't had to cut any of the soles and I'm not using any shims. Maybe I got lucky, but for me it has been a good combo. Honestly, I'm just a Sidi whore.
do you find yourself sliding around on the tops of the mallets with the hard plastic sole of the sidi shoes?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I use the Dominator/Mallet Combo, and all I did was use a .5 mm shim underneath the cleat. No problems with pedaling or sole-to-axle height.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
If you are deciding just between those two, I would get the Hematoma's just for the sole alone.
I used to run the Sidi Domi's, and they are a great XC shoe, but there soles are made out of owl $hit, and are gonna slide all over that pedal when you are unclipped. Their old soles were too slick to really walk in on the wet stuff.
You touch a slick root with a Sidi sole, and it was lay down time. ;)

(this was a few years back, and they may have changed their soles by now.)

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I don't notice the soles sliding, but I've been on Sidis for about 7 years now. I want my shoe to float on the pedal. If anything, the Mallets have less of a slippery feeling than my old Time Zs.

And yes, walking in Sidis in the wet is a bad idea.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
this is a semi-derailment of the thread but 5.10 mentioned to me that they would consider making a clipless version of the Impact. That stealth rubber sole blended with a clipless cleat would be the best of both worlds. You would definitely stick to the pedal regardless of being clipped in or not.

I sort of advised him it wouldn't sell that well b/c of all the competition from other manufacturers but if you guys wanted to email or call them expressing interest. All 3 of you who are reading this thread :rolleyes:

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
bizutch said:
this is a semi-derailment of the thread but 5.10 mentioned to me that they would consider making a clipless version of the Impact. That stealth rubber sole blended with a clipless cleat would be the best of both worlds. You would definitely stick to the pedal regardless of being clipped in or not.

I sort of advised him it wouldn't sell that well b/c of all the competition from other manufacturers but if you guys wanted to email or call them expressing interest. All 3 of you who are reading this thread :rolleyes:

Actually I mentioned that before to Eric, i thought that would be a great idea. I'd buy them.

DHperu

Monkey
Apr 14, 2005
i run hematoma's with mallet and they work awesome, but i am running one schim. anybopdy else using schims?? how many??? maybe a couple would be better..but im just too lazy to give it a try

jmvar

Monkey
Aug 16, 2002
"It was a funny angle!"
Just got back from Diablo......the inside of my akles feel like they were beat with hammers and one of my toe nails is about to fall off. I wear Sidi dominators and I need something with more protection.

Are there any other SPD shoes out there that have a raised inner section and good toe protection? I am thinking about getting the hematomas but would like to know if there is anything else I should be looking at.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
bizutch said:
if you're going from flats to clipless I reccomend you make the transition nice and simple:

they are SPD but still have a skate sole for good solid contact with the pedal when not clipped in. Hematomas have NO traction on the sole and are skinny as crap at the arch.
I second that, the 661 shoe will be your best bet...

SpasticJack

Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
I had the inside end of the ratchet strap come out of my Sidi Dom 4 in a crash during my race run at Massanutten and lost a whole bunch of time to putting my shoe back together. I can't really recommend them for more DH oriented use. I ended up getting a pair of these and am pretty happy with them.

http://www.rei.com/product/47849243.htm?

intensified

Monkey
Mar 31, 2004
Canton,Ma
Hematoma gets my vote, without as much protection that I use also and like are the shimano dx shoes (ugly grey ones),not to floppy.. I disliked the mallet when I tried them and swapped to the old faithful shimano clipins. The protection of the hemas is good for dh.

Superdeft

Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
East Coast
Not to dredge up an old thread, but i ended up going with the shimano bmx/dh shoes because of the price. Any of the 3 probably would have worked though. :)

Jamsoul

Chimp
Jun 28, 2004
tha boot
if u go with sidi u have to continually experiment with the spacers to find the right clip in un clip feel. Addidas gives a bit more toe and ankle protection, either way you cant loose with either shoe. Specialized also makes a shoe with carbon fiber ankles, similar to the addidas