Quantcast

Here's a crazy religous bunch we can all laugh at for a change...

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
the wisdom of solomon applies: the parents should give the blood back to the hospital.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I don't know. 3 surviving kids out of 6 from one pregnancy. That is still two more than normal. Look at it this way, there will be fewer of them down the road.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Anyone want to be that the kids that got the blood transfusion die suddenly in their sleep as infants? Or am I just being cynical?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
What assholes.
Parents?

If so, why? They have a right to refuse medical treatment for their kids if they choose so 'rationally'. And religion is accepted as a rational factor.

Consider this, if they're right, their kids ascend high up into heaven sooner. If they're wrong, so what?

bac

Monkey
Dec 14, 2006
Pennsylvania
I don't know. 3 surviving kids out of 6
That's a litter. I wonder if the mother took fertility drugs? Perhaps that's not against her religion? I dunno. You just don't see too many litters that weren't the product of fertility drugs.

That is still two more than normal. Look at it this way, there will be fewer of them down the road.
I doubt they are done procreating, but we can dream.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Explain the bold part to me for a minute, would you?
I don't have an explanation, I'm just saying that society accepts religion and that as far as I'm concerned, there's too much govt.

I would do everything in my power to save my child -- including walking on broken glass, then a vat of alcohol over hot coals if needed. I'd give my child all the medical care I could convince doctors to provide.

If they believe that not accepting blood "saves" their child, then it's pretty frigging' egotistical to say that they're wrong.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
If they believe that not accepting blood "saves" their child, then it's pretty frigging' egotistical to say that they're wrong.
what if saying "they're wrong" comes from a scientific point of view?

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Then they should move to a third world country where children are considered chattel and they can do what they want with them. They should be in jail for child endangerment.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Parents?

If so, why? They have a right to refuse medical treatment for their kids if they choose so 'rationally'. And religion is accepted as a rational factor.

Consider this, if they're right, their kids ascend high up into heaven sooner. If they're wrong, so what?
If they don't, the kids die.

Yes the parents are morons. Forget modern medical science, let god fix your kids. Idiots. Completely agree with silver, they should be locked away for child endangerment, and then sterilized.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
If they don't, the kids die.

Yes the parents are morons. Forget modern medical science, let god fix your kids. Idiots. Completely agree with silver, they should be locked away for child endangerment, and then sterilized.
well, lookit this: i agree w/ the infidel(s).

it looks like these JWs are practicing something more cultural than biblical, as a sound counter-argument can be made from a biblical POV (for the believing, that is).

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
what if saying "they're wrong" comes from a scientific point of view?
Science isn't relevant when it comes to individuals.

All I know is that when it comes to personal decisions with regards to my family, I'd be friggin' pissed if an outsider interfered.

If a parent can't be declared unfit and is acting out of love for their child, then people need to stfu.

You want to give the kids blood? Then declare the parents unfit and take all their kids.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Science isn't relevant when it comes to individuals.

All I know is that when it comes to personal decisions with regards to my family, I'd be friggin' pissed if an outsider interfered.

If a parent can't be declared unfit and is acting out of love for their child, then people need to stfu.

You want to give the kids blood? Then declare the parents unfit and take all their kids.
even those very few adherents of islam who practice infibulation for religious - and not medical - reasons?

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
The simple fact is that the parents are letting their kids die when they could be saved. That makes them unfit in the view of our western societies surely?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I don't have all the answers, all I'm saying is... there are only two choices:
-- do the will of the parents
- or -
-- declare them unfit... and take ALL the kids away from them.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
No. I'm a Sith Lord.

Where is there wiggle room?

If a parent is doing something that you consider so wrong, then they'd be unfit, yeah?
So long as theor child did not need certain medical treatment then they'd be fine, so why the need to remove the kid permanently?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
what happens when the kid gets in infection after falling down while playing? And they do?

By insisting on giving the kid blood, you're saying when it comes to the medical health of their children, these people are incapable of making the right decision. How many people escape childhood without needing to go to the doctor?

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
what happens when the kid gets in infection after falling down while playing? And they do?

By insisting on giving the kid blood, you're saying when it comes to the medical health of their children, these people are incapable of making the right decision. How many people escape childhood without needing to go to the doctor?
This was a specific scenario where the parents were refusing a treatment that was known would work. Many children die because of parent's mistakes or ignorance but the state does not take all children into care just in case, nor should they in this case. Kids get hurt, kids die but when the authorities are faced with an instance such as this they are obliged to act, but not to remove the children permanently from parents who are otherwise not likely to hurt them.

Few kids never need to go to the doctor, but few need blood transfusions either.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Many children die because of parent's mistakes or ignorance...
That doesn't apply to these parents? You may disagree with their beliefs, but they're not ignorant, they understand the consequences of refusing blood for their kids. As for scripture and whether they're really right to believe that, I can't comment.

Either we accept a parent's right to make decisions based on their religion or we do not.

Where do we draw the line? What about the recent controversial vacination that could prevent cervical cancer, but some parents are against it for relgious reasons. Do we force those teenage girls to get vaccinated?

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
That doesn't apply to these parents? You may disagree with their beliefs, but they're not ignorant, they understand the consequences of refusing blood for their kids. As for scripture and whether they're really right to believe that, I can't comment.

Either we accept a parent's right to make decisions based on their religion or we do not.

Where do we draw the line? What about the recent controversial vacination that could prevent cervical cancer, but some parents are against it for relgious reasons. Do we force those teenage girls to get vaccinated?
I do not believe we should accept the parents having a right to allow their child to die for religious reasons. That is quite a long way away from refusing a vaccination for something that may or may not happen in later life.

Stupidity, ignorance, belief; does it matter what the cause if the death is preventable? Why not throw poverty in there and let the poor kids die?

We draw the line at failing to save a life with routine treatment.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I do not believe we should accept the parents having a right to allow their child to die for religious reasons. That is quite a long way away from refusing a vaccination for something that may or may not happen in later life.

Stupidity, ignorance, belief; does it matter what the cause if the death is preventable? Why not throw poverty in there and let the poor kids die?

We draw the line at failing to save a life with routine treatment.
So you're 100% against abortion?

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
You sure you can't find a ickle shade of grey in there somewhere?
For some reason, I've never laughed harder in my life....

I have an aunt & uncle who have become pariahs to the rest of the catholics on my dads side of the family by converting to jehovah's witness. Their own kids can't stand them now.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
For some reason, I've never laughed harder in my life....

I have an aunt & uncle who have become pariahs to the rest of the catholics on my dads side of the family by converting to jehovah's witness. Their own kids can't stand them now.
I wonder if anyone actually espouses intolerance as a Christian core-value?

(That is a bit like going to the dark side from the dark side.)