Quantcast

Here's the deal

whynot?

Chimp
Jun 23, 2004
I was starting to get into mountain biking a while back and was really enjoying it but soon out-grew the fully rigid Giant I was riding and that’s where my journey into the fat tire world ended for a while.

Now I’ve started doing a little road biking but still really want to get into the off road scene for good. This is where you guys come in!

I’m thinking I’ll be starting with some XC stuff and would like to get into more technical trail riding with some small drops and things. Due to my tight budget I was planning on just getting a Specialized Rockhopper but now I’m wondering if I should go for a Hardrock comp or pro disk. What do you guys think? Or could you suggest some other hardtails for about $500-600 that I should check out from companies like:

Gary Fisher (Tassajara maybe???)
Trek
Giant
Cannondale (haven’t heard good things about their mtb line)
Kona
Etc.

Thanks a bunch
TOM :)

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
I think in that price range you will get alot more bang for your buck if you get a quality used bike. Alot of people like to bitch about Cannondales but my first "real" mountain bike was a 96 F500 and it lasted through years of abuse. But they are expensive and definately not a "value" brand.

Giant & Trek both offer great packages for the price, Kona are a little more spendy but they make great all around bikes. I have personally never been very impressed with Fisher's since Trek bought them.

I think the Kona Scrap looks like a decent sled in your price range.

whynot?

Chimp
Jun 23, 2004
Hey thanks alot Tenchiro!

I like the Scrap, and definitly like the idea of dirt jumping, but I still want a bike that I can push down some single track and CX stuff. then again doing some drops and stuff would be fun so maybe I shouid look into something like the scrap?

I just don't know what to do!:(
TOM

whynot?

Chimp
Jun 23, 2004
well It looks like I'm just going to have to make up my mind... I'm I going to do trail and XC stuff or get into the whole freeride/dirt jump/urban thing... and at this point I'm thinkin' there are alot of trails in the area that I am dieing to try out.

TOM

whynot?

Chimp
Jun 23, 2004
Looks like a regular old rock hopper is the way to go. But I don't know what I'm talking about:) and am open to any ideas. Please. Dont hold back.;)

Thanks again!
TOM

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Specializeds tend to be over priced. For 500 bucks you can find a decent (one that retailed for $1000+) used bike...shop around. The Scrap looks like a trend "lets pretend we're a dirtjumper" bike...that fork would suck for anything heavy. Go with a trailbike and build up from there, you can try out everything on one...You aren't going to be hitting 6 foot drops yet anyways.

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
If you're just getting into it, get something cheap, figure out what you like, and go from there. A bike's feel can be changed a ton with a few cheap mods, like a stem, or tires, just do some experimenting.

Crazy Sweeper

more COWBELL!
Jun 4, 2004
In a box
I agree with the Kona. I got my g/f a new kona blast for $650, it normally goes for about $500 but this one had the disc brake upgrade. It's a pretty decent bike, good for a beginner.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
At the <$1000 most bikes are pretty much the same rather they say giant, specialized, trek or GF. Any of the major name brands should be adequate. Unless you really know what equipment you want on a urban/FR/DJ bike just start out with a standard XC bike like the rockhopper. Those bikes are plenty strong enough for a beginner even if you're doing some jumping and drops. Once you get past drops more than 2-3 feet you will really be pushing the limits of the bike and you'll have a better idea of what will hold up to your type of riding. On the other hand if you really want to ride trails alot most dirt jump/urban bikes will be a little heavier than you'd prefer for climbing and sometimes the geometry is just painful. So my vote goes to a standard XC bike. Also look at some of the shop brand bikes. Aardvarkcycles.com has a brand they call "Pure" that was my first XC bike and it took a snot load of abyse before I replaced it, I think I paid $700 for a complete bike with a descent fork, and mid line deore/xt components. Supergo also has the Access brand that seems to be about the same price. The cheaper XC bikes usually aren't the lightest which in most cases means they're stronger than a high end XC bike with all the carbon fiber and titanium, they cost less and are easier to mantain, plus it's easier to ride urban on an xc bike than to ride xc on an urban bike in my opinion.

whynot?

Chimp
Jun 23, 2004
Now I'm thinging maybe I'll look into gaints because I can get a little trade-in for my old bike at a shop in the area. I'm a fan of the Rainier however it's out of my price range, but what do you guys think of an Iguana or something?

Thanks for everything!
TOM

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
whynot? said:
Now I'm thinging maybe I'll look into gaints because I can get a little trade-in for my old bike at a shop in the area. I'm a fan of the Rainier however it's out of my price range, but what do you guys think of an Iguana or something?

Thanks for everything!
TOM
An Iguana would make a great beginner's bike. The key, at this stage in the game, is not to obsess over what bike to buy. As Kornphlake said, there's not a whole lot to choose.

Try riding a couple that are in your price range, and choose the most comfortable one. If they're both comfortable, choose the one with the paint job you like the best. Then just ride the snot out of it! You'll figure out soon enough what you like and don't like about it, then you can start planning your next bike purchase... :D