Quantcast

heroin

May 28, 2007
yeah it's great! try it. you won't become addicted. you wont sell everything you have. you wont lie and steal from people you love. you wont give up downhill. nope won't happen.

that's what i thought. i'll admit it i feel ****ed up. i did it three years ago and im picking up the pieces now. im just comin off done and lookin around at the messs i made. i went to the usopen this weekend and that is when it really hit me. i have been ridding downhhill for over 10 years. i loved it. i was in incredible shape. i could ride any trail, maybe not the fastest but i could ride. this year i went up there it was the first year i didn't have a bike. it hurt to look around at what i was then look in the mirror at what i became.

i sold my brand new $3000 specialized bighit for $500 so i could get high. now i cn't ride. i put the needle down and got off that **** and puttting my life back together. im lucky, some people never get a second chance. (well this is my third, i o.d. in `94 but didn't learn that time) but anyway, i have no idea why im saying this. if it stops one person from doing drugs then i guess it served it's purpose.

i'm not here to preach, do what you want. just becareful what you get into. i'll be back riding soon. and i still have my wife, house job etc. so i guess i'm lucky. i just wish i was where you are, on the other end of this thread.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
That sucks guy. I hope it helps some of the youngsters on here to.

I'm glad I have managed to make it 27 years with no drugs:clapping:

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
I guess we all hit rock bottom in different ways, experience our life's in different ways... Thank God I have never consumed and most likely will never consume drugs, I feel sorry for those that do, and happy for those that leave them and see what life is like when your sober. We all need some motivation to get out of holes, I'm glad mountain biking was yours! cheers, keep it up!

DH biker

Turbo Monkey
Dec 12, 2004
North East
Thanks for sharing your story, glad to see you realized what you really care about in live. Do what you love, I'm happy to see you come back into biking and that it helped you quit heroin completely. Congratulations.

TA..

!
Aug 21, 2007
Bionics department
Chur Going.Down it takes guts to share that, so ya got what it takes to make it, hang in there dude, get back on tha bike and you'll be flying again soon, look back don't stare, don't even look back too long just enough to stay on the trail ahead!
Its hard enough when eveyone is judge jury and executioner but youve done the hardest part understanding where you are and where you want to be.

Just keep riding through it, ya got the support of Wife and Family, job etc so take care of yourself and them first and the rest will follow bro!

Stay the trail be well and you'll be ripping at the Open maybe next year.

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
Wow, bro thanks for sharing! Hope you can see mtbiking as the only high you need and it motivates you to stay away
because you know that you gotta be in good shape to ride/race!
I did some experimenting when I was younger and my son being born was my motivation at first but,
biking has certainly been a huge part of stayin away...

Make up your mind and realize that if you never touch it again you have no worries of it owning you!
Addiction works like a little devil on your sholder "you can just do a little and control it" Nah, never beleive that.
If you look at it like life or death that is the best way! Do it Die-Don't Live!
Good luck bro - get back on a bike and it will help having a healthy hobby!

altix

Monkey
Feb 14, 2007
congrats. and might i say to just dump all that onto this forum so perfectly, i applaud you.

=]

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Man, Heroin addiction is no joke at all. I have seen two people go through it, one lived, one didnt. It took one of them dying for the other to see the light. I am glad you have seen the light, and you have turned your life around. Welcome to the Ridemonkey Family, Now go get yourself another bike and lets go for a ride!!!!

If you need support, this is a great place to find it

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
A lot of people on here might talk a lot of trash, but with something as serious as this almost everyone is level headed and willing to help out.

Thanks for sharing your story. Glad you are still around. Now, find a bike and get riding!

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
You know the sober good moments won't be as good and intensive as they used to be like when you were high. You must accept and live with that. Look at those passed moments like youth. It was great, the best perhaps, but you can't relive it.

May 28, 2007
thanks to everyone that offered words of support. i was kinda expecting to get dumped on for being an idiot. i just felt the need to vent at the time and everyone here is like family to me. we are all bound together by the love of riding.

i know how much riding means to me. i gave up drinking heavily about 10 years ago and my bike was my best friend. it gave me a reason to skip the party on friday nights so i could get a good night ssleep and wake up early to ride in the morning.

plus while i ride it's a form of therapy to me. as i am riding i can think about what i have done, where i'm going and what i need to do. unless i'm riding a super tech, super steep trail then it's all about the moment.

that is one of the greatest things about riding. it doesn't matter who you are, what you do, how much money you have, how many bills you owe, whatever problems you have dissolve while riding and for the moment the only thing that matters is you, your bike and your concentration. we all equals at that point. it is a drug in my mind. and i'm going to use that drug to pull myself up this steep technical climb i have in front of me. but once i reach the top......there is a sweet decent that i earned from the hard work of my climb (or $28 for a lift ticket)

again, thanks for listening and thanks for the support. i love riding and i'l always love it. at leatst i still have an enduro spoecialized to ride now and if i want i can always rent a DH rig a diablo.

so i guess the moral of this story is, stay far away from NARCOTICS. it's really not worth it. it will happen to you because you have no control over the poppy. it controls you. stick to what you love and stay healthy.

dropping a 6 foot ladder to steep trany is a bigger rush than i ever got from the needle. and remember, every junky is like a setting sun, a little bit of it in everyone. gone, gone, the damage done.

thanks, and i'll see you on the trails....sober.

TA..

!
Aug 21, 2007
Bionics department
Awesome going down its good to hear ya feeling some pos vibe coming your way and its helping, ya make some really good points..

Its the easiest thing in the world to sit and Judge! and the hardest to stand up and be counted and support those around you in need or those ya don't even know you!

From personal experience I know how much a little can go a long way when things are tough! Funny thing is on this joruney, just hang in there and even when things feel like its all against you little things like this or from other sources will pop up from time to time to be there to either prompt you back on track or be there when ya need it most, or just lift you, just hang in there and appreciate that support, ya need strong people around you who care..

It sounds like ya on the right track and going well, so keep tracking bud, also look at the positive you may be able to help someone through this yourself one day at some level, but day by day mate step by step!

Congrats on making it this far, keep up the riding! going down:monkeydance:

thomas

Chimp
May 12, 2002
EMEA Googleplex
"dropping a 6 foot ladder to steep trany is a bigger rush than i ever got from the needle."

i think this just sums everything up perfectly...

thanks
Thomas

Mumbles

Monkey
Jul 17, 2002
Minneapolis, MN
Glad to hear you've dropped the drugs and I wish you the best.

However, am I the only one that finds it a little odd that someone would spill their guts about a drug addiction on the 1st or 2nd post?
sometimes its a whole lot easier to share when its basically anonymous...

i'm glad to hear you are taking control back for yourself! ride on.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
first off, huge props for coming on here and sharing your story, and I wish you the best in staying with riding and staying off of the mind-altering substances.

however, when I read this:

i gave up drinking heavily about 10 years ago and my bike was my best friend. it gave me a reason to skip the party on friday nights so i could get a good night ssleep and wake up early to ride in the morning.
I'd really advise you to get some professional help. :)

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Hell yeah man! - You turned it around and came out the other side.

Not a lot of people survive once they get hooked into that stuff, so - you've definitely made a long journey.

Glad you to hear you are straight again and that the brain and body are no longer numbed. Stay healthy and from here on in, continue making the mind and body stronger.

Feel happy, feel sad, feel joy, and feel pain - it's how you know you are alive.

Ride to live,
Live to ride.

pancho64

Monkey
Jul 28, 2007

i sold my brand new $3000 specialized bighit for $500 so i could get high.

..... and i still have my wife, house job etc. so i guess i'm lucky. i just wish i was where you are, on the other end of this thread.
aside from time in your life, if the big hit was all you lost and you were able to keep your wife house and job, you made it through with a whole lot more than most people. congratz. :clapping:

addiction is an all too familiar subject matter in my life and i definitely agree that the common love for biking that we share has kept my head up through rough times.