Quantcast

hey do-it-yourselfers....

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
That looks pretty sweet! I'm def. going to read through that when I get some free time later. I've been meaning to get some small parts made for quite a while, thanks!:cool:

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
Originally posted by Matt D
That looks pretty sweet! I'm def. going to read through that when I get some free time later. I've been meaning to get some small parts made for quite a while, thanks!:cool:
Not a problem. If you do something let us know the results....

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I found that too. Not to be a wet blanket but I don't see how they would be able to do it cheaper. As someone who runs their own shop, you're only saving one step. And that is an easy step at that. It would probably be faster for you to give me a napkin with a sketch and just have me do it.

I am interested though. Please post if anyone tries it.

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
I was thinking it could just be easier for some people, myself included.

It's just tough to find the time to get to a local machinist. It could be nice for some people to sit down at night, sketch it out on the computer, send it off, and have it arrive at their house in a few days.

That being said, I might just use their software to create sketches for my local machinist:devil:

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Looks neat, but knowing how important communication between a designer and machinist is, I would be a bit hesitent.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
Originally posted by buildyourown
I found that too. Not to be a wet blanket but I don't see how they would be able to do it cheaper. As someone who runs their own shop, you're only saving one step. And that is an easy step at that. It would probably be faster for you to give me a napkin with a sketch and just have me do it.

I am interested though. Please post if anyone tries it.
Hey T, I actually have access myself to a FULL service shop at work. Youll have to come ride the island some time and i can give you a tour of it. I was really just wanting to pass on the info for those others i always see talking about making their own stuff.

ragin-sagin

Monkey
Oct 2, 2003
NZ
nice website...one-off parts are still pretty expensive judging by the example pricing....but buy in bulk and its pretty damn cheap.