Quantcast

Hey hikers, what's your shelter?

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
Yep, I need more advice for improving my numerous emergency kits. This is for the BOB which already has a poncho, small tarp w/eyelets and and 550 paracord.

I'm looking for a 1-2 person shelter that's small, inexpensive and fits in a 2650 cubic inch backpack. Has anyone used a mylar tube tent?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I used an Outdoor Research Bivy sack for my ride from Seattle to SF. I got the one with a tent pole so the nylon wouldn't sit on my face.

Not cheap and obviously not for two people, but it is bug proof and I wasn't wet at all.

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
Beech Mtn Definitely NOT Boulder
I use a custom made hammock kit. It weighs under a pound with rainfly and rigging and fits into a stuff sack about the size of football. I dont have any pictures of it set up but it looks similar to this:

but if you really want good information on stuff like that mylar tube tent my uncle is pretty much an expert at ultralight backpacking. Here is his trail journals contact page: http://www.trailjournals.com/about.cfm?trailname=9816 Just tell him that Sam Stalder sent you.:thumb:

gonefirefightin

free wieners
Bibler big wall bivy

I have been followig you with your posts as you build your bug out bag....I built mine as soon as I got out of the hospital. it all fits on a motorcycle and sits next to the door in a dry bag. I spent more than a grand getting myself set for at least 1 month of readiness.

the reason I chose a motorcycle is to get through traffic and get into the woods via around gates and such. just a thought

Last edited:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Bibler big wall bivy

I have been followig you with your posts as you build your bug out bag....I built mine as soon as I got out of the hospital. it all fits on a motorcycle and sits next to the door in a dry bag. I spent more than a grand getting myself set for at least 1 month of readiness.

the reason I chose a motorcycle is to get through traffic and get into the woods via around gates and such. just a thought
I think a moto is a very situational bug-out vehicle.

Yeah, it is a quick getaway, but what happens if it is a weather forcing you out?

Also, my moto has just over a third of the range of my car.

The car gives me some protection from harm and a lot more storage space.

And I can throw a bike on the back.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
I think a moto is a very situational bug-out vehicle.

Yeah, it is a quick getaway, but what happens if it is a weather forcing you out?

Also, my moto has just over a third of the range of my car.

The car gives me some protection from harm and a lot more storage space.

And I can throw a bike on the back.
I have a bmw gs1200a with 620 mile range, weather is no concern since I ride all year and have heated everything

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
I used an Outdoor Research Bivy sack for my ride from Seattle to SF. I got the one with a tent pole so the nylon wouldn't sit on my face.

Not cheap and obviously not for two people, but it is bug proof and I wasn't wet at all.
:stupid:
Love mine. I've been backpacking/bikepacking with mine for several years now. Its never let me down.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I have never used a mylar tube tend before, but I'm not sure I'd want to. Probably be noisy and floppy...seem more like a "get in this so you don't die" kind of thing. A good tarp plus bug netting or a bivy is a good way to go if you want a versatile and minimalist setup.

I have a 2 person tent (Northface Tadpole 23) and it works pretty well in any condition, but is a bit big for backpacking. If I am solo backpacking (though I usually end up sleeping in lean tos), I've been using a Go-Lite Hut 2. There are lots of similar products on the market. Overall, it's been good to me. Did fine in some wind and rain and there's actually a lot of room on the inside- at least enough room for 1 person and gear with extra space. These are somewhat expensive options, but, as with most light backpacking gear, with some research, patience and time you can find something cheap or just make it yourself

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
funny you should mention emergency kits. i know some people making a a la carte emergency kit system that will be released soon.

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
Good suggestions. I may stick with a basic tube tent in my bob since bugs aren't that big of a deal in socal.

On the other hand, I may invest in something like that Eureka Spitfire for my wife's bob. She's not much of an outdoorsy type so she'll appreciate at a net between herself and the bugs.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
for a BOB i just pack a rain fly from my dome tent and rig it something like this

having grown up in FL...i've found that netting is rather important but nothing an elevated sleeping area and some of this can't fix:

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz

This is all I ever use. If it gets nasty out I wrap myself up in the tarp, tie it off with a string, and wait for the fun to stop.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
I make one by chopping palm fronds and lacing them to bamboo with dried seaweed and snot. This not only provides a safe haven from the rain, but shelters from the relentless Santa Ana winds which periodically ravage the island.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I make one by chopping palm fronds and lacing them to bamboo with dried seaweed and snot. This not only provides a safe haven from the rain, but shelters from the relentless Santa Ana winds which periodically ravage the island.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
btw, the space blanket will save your life.

I did an outdoor first aid class, so we were sitting on the ground for 40-50 minutes. You get the chills if you are not on the blanket...

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
I have a small two man pup tent I got at big lots for fifteen bucks, two poles one in front, one rear, Old school style stick a couple tent stakes in teh ground and string type two foot tall just enough to sleep in tent.

Fits into a foot and a half long ish 5 or 6 in diameter bag..... cheap, waterproof, works.

Its what I carry on the motorcycle for long rides for the incase something happens and I need somewere to sleep. Its about a third of the size of my sleeping bag, if its not raining, or campground requires, Ill just sleep in the bag.

Yes I made sure the tent is WP, yes I set it up to make sure all is good....... takes about five minutes to set it up and be done.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
I have a couple of light 2 man backpacking tents that have an ultralight option of not using the tent body. The poles hook into the ground cloth and you clip in the rain fly. Nice strong shelter that weighs about a pound [REI Half Dome]

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
lightweight 3-season 2-person tent ~2.5#. Between my tent, roll, bag and pack I'm around 8#, wifey's bag is 5.5. I still need to order tabs and a filter, but with my quick go bag, we are good for 4-5 days on food. We have a few gallons of water in the house and a few more in the car. Still need to get out car kit assembled...

however wifey is finally starting to believe me that we need emergency prep kits at home, in the car, and small solo packs at work that can get us home.

If all hell breaks loose, be it disaster or whatever, we are setup well enough to grab our packs, jump on our bikes, and head north. Have a good friend with property outside of Mt Shasta. Take us 2-3 days to ride there at most. Have maps will travel if you will...

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
I've got a MSR E-bivy and it works great. Been stuck in a couple of cascade downpours and it definitely kept me dry (absolutely crucial when is all you have is a down sleeping bag), it doesn't have a tent pole so if you're a claustrophobic type its not for you. Lately I have been taking a tent rainfly with me as well as a wind brake/ rain cover so I don't have a sheet of nylon on my face if it starts to rain. Otherwise I have a North Face Tadpole 23 tent that works pretty good but I only really use it if I'm going with another person and don't have to carry the whole thing (its not too heavy but I'm a bit of a minimalist).

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
for a BOB i just pack a rain fly from my dome tent and rig it something like this
And you can rig a standard US .gov surplus poncho (or other square tarp) like this. tie hood shut with 550; leave a long piece hanging. Place small loop of 550 on a corner grommet, use friction-sliding knots on the other 3 corners. Stake down 3 sides (small loop on the ground, the sides to any convenient anchor or a stake) anchor top side to tree branch or other point higher up. Tie the hood loop to a tree branch if possible, but it's not 100% essential.

We never carried tents in the infantry. Poncho hooches over goretex sleeping bag covers if there was any shelter at all.

Edit: Like Eric described, my mtn hardware tent can be rigged with just the fly and a base groundcloth, as well...pretty f'n light. Sold as the "footprint" accessory. Forget the model name of mine offhand, though.

Last edited:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
No more trees, just faux-tree cell phone towers.

edit: I can't even hang a hammock on it because it's surrounded by a fence. boooo

Last edited: