Quantcast

hey, look at me, another mp3 player thread

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
which one should i get?

just kidding. my girlfriend is wanting to pick one up, instead of a $300 Coach purse. that makes me happy. right now, she wants to get a Dell, so i'm wondering if someone has a review. i went to DPReview, and looked there. not too much info. plus, i wasn't really diggin' that site too much.

anywho, how's the software with the Dell? the simpler, the better. 8hr battery life? i know the claim is 12, but reality is rarely what is claimed.

that's about all i really need to know. anything else you care to share...go ahead and share.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i don't know anything about the Dells. what size drive is she looking for? my karma's been a good performer, and it's within her budget.

McT

Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
Texas
yeah... i need help in the MP3 player area too... was thinking about an Iriver H10 (I think), but i havent read many reveiws on it, so i dont know if its good or bad or what...

oh... and i sorta know a guy that has a dell DJ, i think... he said it holds 10,000 songs, and it cost's $200... sounds like a good deal to me.

Darkreaper

Monkey
Sep 26, 2004
Away in the head
I would be suspect of something like that... Either their claims are drastically overinflated or they have made a helluva lot of cost cuts. Either way, not good.

Take a gander at the new iPod minis, $199'll get you 4 gigs, or an extra $50 gets 6GB of space. I've tried a few different players and the iPod has the nicest interface of them all, plus it looks very sweet. I've got a 40gig myself

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
well that was fast. she decided on the Dell. mainly so she wouldn't have to worry about wma/mp3 compatibility. $200 for 5Gs, not bad. makes the $130 flash player i wanted seem not so attractive. yes, yes, i know, flash vs. hdd blah blah blah.

J

JRB

I like my memorex flash player and Julie's rio flash player, now that I figured out how to load songs on it without crappy software.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
well hell, now that she's getting a DJ, i'm jonesin' to get an hd player, as opposed to the flash i was considering. given the discount i can get on Apple stuff through school, the price of the Ipod Mini is really hard to beat. actually, it can't be beat. it's like $40 more than the 512 flash player i was opting for.

but anyway, is there a good FREE wma - mp3 converter out there? i'm gonna re-rip as many cds as i can, but a good portion of my music is stuff that was stolen a few years ago and/or stuff that i can't replace (1998 Westlake High School's jazz performance. oh my god. the girl singing Summertime has one of the best voices i've ever heard). i know i will lose some quality, but whatcha gonna do?