Quantcast

Hey... New crank NC-17 good or bad?

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
This new crank set means now you can run NC-17 on your dirt bike as well. A 6061 aluminium lump is heated to 420 degrees Celsius, this is followed by a loud bang. That’s the sound of a new crank being forged. This new technology strengthens the atomic lattice, especially the outer edges and provides the greatest strength. The arms are adjusted to 170mm (rather than 175mm) for its targeted application. We used the proven ISIS drive system to provide the connection to the BB to ensure consistent and reliable connection at this vital point. Of course the NC-17 chain rings fit the crank and offer perfect shifting due to our cyclic horizontal and vertical testing system. We’ve used a steel washer at the pedal/crank junction to give additional strength during strong impacts (such as in a fall) so that the steel axle is less likely to damage the aluminium threads of the crank (in most cases it is the crank thread area that bends rather than the pedal axle). You will find it hard (if not impossible!) to find a crank that offers this balance of strengths at this price!

Technical facts:
• 7075-T6 Aluminium cold forged
• Bolt pattern: 104/64
• Length: 175mm / 170mm
• ISIS-Drive
I'm no metallurgist, but is that how you make 7075 Aluminum?

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008
"New technology"......yes, the most modern of technologies 'cold forging'-also known in real industry as stamping.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Whenever I want something that is cheap and durable, I get the holzfeller stuff. Get some holzfeller cranks and call it good.

Squam_DH

Chimp
Feb 24, 2009
Whenever I want something that is cheap and durable, I get the holzfeller stuff. Get some holzfeller cranks and call it good.
QFT

I love the OCT cranks. Light and bombproof. Everyone seems to hate them, but the bottom brackets have never failed me. Not a single shot bearing in a season of 15 races, most of them very muddy.

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
a mate has them and has never had a spot of bother. He doesn't hang around on them either

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Well it's really cheep, so i want to buy it. can it be bad?
Eh, never heard of them, but they look OK to me for the price.

I'm no metallurgist, but is that how you make 7075 Aluminum?
No, it's not. 6061 isn't transformed into 7075 by forging. That's quite the oversight by whoever wrote the description.

"New technology"......yes, the most modern of technologies 'cold forging'-also known in real industry as stamping.
Agreed, it's certainly not new technology. I like this quote from wikipedia: "Forging is one of the oldest known metalworking processes." But as an engineer who worked in a forging plant, forging and stamping are similar but not the same. Stamping is forming parts from sheet metal, while forging is forming parts from solid bar stock. Also, since the description says 420 deg C, that would be hot forging not cold forging. [/engineer]

Jase76

Monkey
Aug 10, 2007
Australia
They look like an ISIS version of the new MRP cranks.

Give them a go, whats the worst that could happen, at least they're cheap!

A

Asafus

like said, what can happen?

and i checked: the holzfeler is not cheap enough... like 150$.

about the OCT, What do you mean? i have shimano deore at
home for spare, can i use it? will it fit, i mean it's barely a strong XC crank...

thank's
Asaf