Quantcast

Hey State Farm - Suck my exit chute

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
We just got a letter in the mail that they are cancelling our renters policy at the end of your contract in March. Apparently we had too many claims...

We've had them for three years on the recommendation from family who also use them extensively. We are paying a premium for high coverage limits, and use them for ALL of our insurance. This is a real slap in the face, as we have riders for every bike with itemized parts and replacement estimates from our bike shop. All of wifey's jewelry (including her engagement ring) also have riders as well.

We had two claims: one was for when I drove my Look into the garage door ($2800) and the other for when wifey's bike got stolen ($4100).

The funny thing is that we've spent more on renters and gotten less (as % to what we have paid) than our Auto, and they are maintaining out Auto.

Either way, we will be leaving them across the board indefinately. And to think I actually looked at them as a potential firm I would like to work for...

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
They won't care.
You're just a number that crossed a risk threshold and were deemed unprofitable.
Being loyal to insurance companies, mortgage brokers or banks is for suckers.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
this is what you get for rally driving on the highway
And they funny thing is they keep the auto insurance.

TN: My roadie was a Look 555 Carbon that was given to me (mostly) as payment from the bike shop I worked at, with the frame a warranty frame from a buddy who worked at Look. I still could not replace it though.

The wifey's bike was a Fisher Pro-Caliber w/ full XTR, carbon everything, and a fox up front. It was mostly built from parts I had lying around after I stopped racing.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Insuance, its good for you. Doing good things for people in need. Until you need it.

USAA for me. Never a problem. Yet.
Unfortuantely, I do not have acess. Unless my Grandfather who was Army in the 50's allows me to get access...

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
This could work, check on it. I'm in USAA due to my father in law, who was in the army in the 50's.
my grandfather was in the service back then too...i should try and see if itll work for me. i have Empire and thankfully havent had to use it...KNOCK ON WOOD

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
They wouldn't even insure me when I was switching homeowner's just because I had one single claim for a stolen bike:
http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=235088

Little update...I found what I deem to be the world's best insurance agent (and super hawt too) and switched all policies from my 2 businesses, a condo owner's association and most of my personal stuff. She's been AMAZING and I have no chance of getting dropped because she deals with multiple insurance companies.

I feel your frustration as much as anyone on this forum but you should just find a good broker to work with and they'll take every bit of work off your plate.

Cue Bizutch to click on this thread and get butt hurt in 3...2...1...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
They won't care.
You're just a number that crossed a risk threshold and were deemed unprofitable.
"A new car built by my company leaves somewhere traveling at 60 mph. The rear differential locks up. The car crashes and burns with everyone trapped inside. Now, should we initiate a recall? Take the number of vehicles in the field, A, multiply by the probable rate of failure, B, multiply by the average out-of-court settlement, C. A times B times C equals X. If X is less than the cost of a recall, we don't do one."

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I never insured anything other than myself, wife, cars and house. Both of our cars are paid for and I'm trying to get the wife to let me drop full coverage but she wont.

My feeling is you only insure that which is essential to your life - insuring depreciating assets doesn't seem wise from a financial perspective.

Of course "owning" 6K in bikes while still renting also seems financially unsound.

Meh, what do I know?

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Of course "owning" 6K in bikes while still renting also seems financially unsound.

Meh, what do I know?
It's actually closer to $20k between all of them... And I am looking at nearly $1mm to get a 3br house in an area with good schools in NorCal, or paying $30k/year for private school. I do not intend to buy a house here anytime soon. I am accruing cash and having some fun along the way.

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
Insuance, its good for you. Doing good things for people in need. Until you need it.

USAA for me. Never a problem. Yet.
I used to have USAA insurance. They dropped us because the wife and I had too many speeding tickets spread out over a 5 year period. We didn't have any claims. It was infuriating. Didn't make sense to me then and doesn't make sense to me now. They call every now and then asking me to come back. I can't bring myself to do it.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Prudence is frowned upon these days.
But I always say, to each his own.
I am saving over 40% pre-tax income, so I'm not too concerned about it. We are living off my income only and saving wifey's.

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States

Meh, what do I know?
aint that the truth. the guys at the shop called me out the other day when i was bitching about how i cant afford a car. they were like "you have three bikes, the least expensive of which is 4000 dollars. its not that you cant afford a car, you just have your priorities straight."

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I've spent over 20K on the 7 bikes I still have lying around - I've just never thought to insure them. Of course I've never had anything stolen from my house or cars.

It's actually closer to $20k between all of them... And I am looking at nearly $1mm to get a 3br house in an area with good schools in NorCal, or paying $30k/year for private school. I do not intend to buy a house here anytime soon. I am accruing cash and having some fun along the way.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
I am saving over 40% pre-tax income, so I'm not too concerned about it. We are living off my income only and saving wifey's.
I am just talking **** on the internet. i am sure it would appall most to where our disposable income goes. :D

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
They won't care.
My loyalty to USAA has actually paid off. But you can't compare them to places like State Farm.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
They won't care.
:stupid:
C'mon joker, you of all people should know this. Hell if US bank didn't hold my f-ing mortgage I would have bailed on them for there crap attitude over my one late motorcycle payment. Customer service is dead, fvck em. There is no reason you shouldn't be able to find something comparable for probably a better price.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
That sounds awesome! Planning to retire at 40?
I wish. If I want to buy a house where there are good schools, I'll be paying a lot for it.

My goal is to retire by 50. Hopefully in a place like Costa Rica or Argentina.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
:stupid:
C'mon joker, you of all people should know this. Hell if US bank didn't hold my f-ing mortgage I would have bailed on them for there crap attitude over my one late motorcycle payment. Customer service is dead, fvck em. There is no reason you shouldn't be able to find something comparable for probably a better price.
Not disagreeing. A huge part of my job is customer service; I have high standards because of it.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I wish. If I want to buy a house where there are good schools, I'll be paying a lot for it.

My goal is to retire by 50. Hopefully in a place like Costa Rica or Argentina.
Are kids factored into the equation. I see you mention good schools. I could save a lot of money too and my wife could make a lot of money too if we had no kids. Kids are the real money pit.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Are kids factored into the equation. I see you mention good schools. I could save a lot of money too and my wife could make a lot of money too if we had no kids. Kids are the real money pit.
Good public schools vs. private schools. I could live just about anywhere, but planting down with kids means you need good schools. Good schools are where the money lives, which means more expensive housing. Of course, we could go down a notch on housing (more for less if you will) and just send our kids to private school.
Cost is cost, but one mentally hurts the wallet less.

And no, the goalie has not been pulled. I prefer to plan steps in advance.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Last edited:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
We just got a letter in the mail that they are cancelling our renters policy at the end of your contract in March. Apparently we had too many claims...

We've had them for three years on the recommendation from family who also use them extensively. We are paying a premium for high coverage limits, and use them for ALL of our insurance. This is a real slap in the face, as we have riders for every bike with itemized parts and replacement estimates from our bike shop. All of wifey's jewelry (including her engagement ring) also have riders as well.

We had two claims: one was for when I drove my Look into the garage door ($2800) and the other for when wifey's bike got stolen ($4100).

The funny thing is that we've spent more on renters and gotten less (as % to what we have paid) than our Auto, and they are maintaining out Auto.

Either way, we will be leaving them across the board indefinately. And to think I actually looked at them as a potential firm I would like to work for...
Homeowners insurance claims until 5 years ago were once every 27 years. Now it's down to once every 7 years. You fail! :thumb:

Cue Bizutch to click on this thread and get butt hurt in 3...2...1...
Nah...butthurt drives an Audi.:rofl: