Quantcast

Hey stoner, visiting Bali? Better leave your weed at home!

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Huge news back home. Of course everyone thinks she's innocent. She'll be doing her time in an Aussie jail before the year is out.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
valve bouncer said:
Huge news back home. Of course everyone thinks she's innocent. She'll be doing her time in an Aussie jail before the year is out.
I heard about that a few months ago, and it didn't make sense, because the story I read said that the price of weed is less in Bali than it is in Australia. If that is true, she's either retarded (not just slow, I mean N8 level retardation) or she got set up...

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Silver said:
I heard about that a few months ago, and it didn't make sense, because the story I read said that the price of weed is less in Bali than it is in Australia. If that is true, she's either retarded (not just slow, I mean N8 level retardation) or she got set up...
I agree. Either she's super retarded, or she got set up.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Yeah it was either really REALLY stupid or she was set up - hard to say but eight pounds is not enough money to risk your life - I read earlier that her crime can carry the death penalty over there. But damn, still sexy as hell in that pic.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I can't even begin to image how crappy the weed must be in those parts of the world.

do they have hydroponics there?

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
pnj said:
I can't even begin to image how crappy the weed must be in those parts of the world.

do they have hydroponics there?
PNJ mate, it's really hard to explain how f*cked up this situation is unless you're Australian. There's a lot of things going on in this situation so much so that I don't know where to start. I'll explain (as much as I can understand) but I don't wanna bore Monkeys...if you're interested I'll try.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
valve bouncer said:
PNJ mate, it's really hard to explain how f*cked up this situation is unless you're Australian. There's a lot of things going in this situation so I don't know where to start. I'll explain (as much as I can understand) but I don't wanna bore Monkeys...if you're interested I'll try.
Hit us up wit' it, man!

-S.S.-

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
valve bouncer said:
PNJ mate, it's really hard to explain how f*cked up this situation is unless you're Australian. There's a lot of things going on in this situation so much so that I don't know where to start. I'll explain (as much as I can understand) but I don't wanna bore Monkeys...if you're interested I'll try.
naw, I understand. some hot looking girl is going to prison for WAY WAY too long for something she may or may not have done. the something, transporting weed, a naturally occuring plant which grows just about anywhere.

what I was saying is, the weed must not be that good because everyone knows the NorthWest grows the best. so not only is she going to prison for a long time for a silly crime, she was busted with crappy weed. not even good weed..... :mumble:

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
Damn, could you imagine if she really was set up....I can't begin to imagine how horrific it would be to be sent to prison for 20 years for merely having the misfortune of traveling....damn!!!

If she was trying to smuggle the drugs....how f'ing stupid are you?

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
pnj said:
naw, I understand. some hot looking girl is going to prison for WAY WAY too long for something she may or may not have done. the something, transporting weed, a naturally occuring plant which grows just about anywhere.

what I was saying is, the weed must not be that good because everyone knows the NorthWest grows the best. so not only is she going to prison for a long time for a silly crime, she was busted with crappy weed. not even good weed..... :mumble:
Actually mate, just the opposite.

A lot of Aussies live in Bali. It's near home, cheap with a good lifestyle. The local dope (mostly from Sumatra) is plentiful but fraught with danger as most of the local dealers are known to the police so if they wanna stay in business they have to give up a certain precentage of their foreign clients to the police to stay in business. That's a given in the 3rd world. So a lot of the ex-pats get their dope from Australia. Quality is much better, prices are of course higher but they don't have to deal with locals. Much much safer. Good proper Aussie smoke is as good as anywhere in the world so the local expats will pay big bucks to get it in. I'm guessing that most will come by boat. Lots and lots of yachts do the trek from Australia to to Asia but for sure more than a bit will come by tourist. This girl was the first major pot bust but earlier this year 9 Aussies were done for smack in Bali. They haven't gone to trial yet but it's looking good (or bad for them) that they will get the death denalty, at least some of them. If they do go, it won't be the first Aussies to pay the price in SE Asia for drugs. Suffice is to say, there are a lot of Aussies doing time in SE Asian jails for drugs. Americans and Europeans too especially in Thailand, but it's Indonesia, Malaysia and Singapore that you don't wanna do time in. There's an Aussie guy in Singapore now that will swing.

Anyway, Aussies at least know what the deal is in SE Asia as far as drugs go. I personally think this girl knew what she was doing and the odds ran out on her. She shouldn't do 20 years for pot (she shouldn't do 1 minute for pot) but she is guilty I think.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
horrible.
it's probably not a good idea to sell weed where there is a death penalty for it......

and even though I've never been to austrialia, I know we have better weed. :D

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Any traveler should take a lesson from this...

ALWAYS LOCK YOUR BAGGAGE!!! Never allow your unlocked bags to be handled by the baggage handlers. The least that can happen is that they break or steal your stuff. Worst case scenario is what this unfortunate young lady is experiencing.

And if she really did this, and was not set up, then she is incredibly retarded!

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Ciaran said:

ALWAYS LOCK YOUR BAGGAGE!!! Never allow your unlocked bags to be handled by the baggage handlers. The least that can happen is that they break or steal your stuff. Worst case scenario is what this unfortunate young lady is experiencing.

And if she really did this, and was not set up, then she is incredibly retarded!

Yeah that's definitely a lesson to be learned from this. IF she's innocent she might have saved a lot of problems by picking up a couple of those little luggage locks for her surfboard bag. I understand the baggage handlers will look for the easy target - they won't want to mess around with locked bags, they're already smuggling drugs and don't need to raise eyebrows...

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Ciaran said:

I know on at least one recent flight, we were required to leave our luggage unlocked.

Ed: Hmmm, OK, check this out:
http://www.tsa.gov/public/interapp/editorial/editorial_1254.xml
http://www.tsa.gov/public/interapp/editorial/editorial_multi_image_with_table_0234.xml

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
MikeD said:
I know on at least one recent flight, we were required to leave our luggage unlocked.

Ed: Hmmm, OK, check this out:
http://www.tsa.gov/public/interapp/editorial/editorial_1254.xml
http://www.tsa.gov/public/interapp/editorial/editorial_multi_image_with_table_0234.xml
I have not traveled (taken any planes) since the security changes at the airport. Would you be able to re-lock your bags after the security goons look inside? I am heading to Ireland in October and I don't want to do anyting that will cause any delays or hassles for the GF and I. Though I certainly do not trust baggage handlers and want to lock my luggage.

Edit: After reading the links you posted, I just don't want to fly anywhere. sheesh! :(

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
pnj said:
horrible.
it's probably not a good idea to sell weed where there is a death penalty for it......

and even though I've never been to austrialia, I know we have better weed. :D
You're pretty close to BC right? :thumb:

I mentioned those guys that got done for trafficking herion thru Bali. As mules they were gonna get paid A$10,000 (US$ 7500 about). F*cken idiots.
The pot this girl was smuggling was going for about US$ 450 an ounce in Bali. 4kg is about 10 pounds. 16 ounces to the pound. You can work it out. When even pot is worth more than its weight in gold you can see why people will risk it all to do it. Sad.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
OK, So here is the two sides of the story:

She was flying from one side of Australia to the other then on to Bali for a Holiday. The baggage handlers in Aussy airports have a racket where they transport weed xc by putting it in travellers baggage and their buddies remove it on arrival. Weed is like 100x more expensive in Aus than Bali where it grows like, well, a weed. So the baggage handlers miss the pick-up and her baggage goes on to Bali.

Or: She really really is retarded. She bought the weed for plenty cash and was transporting it to a country where it is readily availible for cheap to make a huge loss. Sorry, drug dealers arn't that dumb.

On the other hand her father and brother are convicted fellons.

PNJ: Weed is good in the NW but the best weed comes from Holland, no question. They have competitions for that **** and Holland produced weed always wins. Sorry dude.

dhtahoe

I LOVE NORBA!!!!
Feb 4, 2002
Flying Low Living Fast
Changleen said:
PNJ: Weed is good in the NW but the best weed comes from Holland, no question. They have competitions for that **** and Holland produced weed always wins. Sorry dude.
That's what happens when you don't have to worry about getting caught for it. STUPID GOOD SMOKE THAT AIN"T NO JOKE!!!

NickZ

Chimp
Dec 23, 2004
Sydney
One of the odd things about this case is that the weed is worth more in Australia than it is in Bali, so why would someone take it to Bali to sell it for less than they could get for it in Australia. There was speculation that baggage handlers were using people's bags to smuggle drugs interstate within Australia, and that someone didn't take the weed out of the bag in Brisbane, and the flight went through to Bali with the weed. Bali's legal system is not like Australia's or the USA's, you have to prove your innocence rather than have the prosecution prove your guilt.They didn't fingerprint the bag that the weed was in, they pretty much said, this weed was in your luggage, therefore you were trying to bring it into our country. I don't know whether she's guilty or not, but another thing that many Australian's are pissed about is that she gets 20 years for that, and Abu Bakar Bashir, the convicted mastermind of the Bali bombing (killing 200 or so people), gets 2 years.

ps sorry if I repeated what Changleen said, he beat me to it. Go the Waratahs!

dhtahoe

I LOVE NORBA!!!!
Feb 4, 2002
Flying Low Living Fast
NickZ said:
One of the odd things about this case is that the weed is worth more in Australia than it is in Bali, so why would someone take it to Bali to sell it for less than they could get for it in Australia. There was speculation that baggage handlers were using people's bags to smuggle drugs interstate within Australia, and that someone didn't take the weed out of the bag in Brisbane, and the flight went through to Bali with the weed. Bali's legal system is not like Australia's or the USA's, you have to prove your innocence rather than have the prosecution prove your guilt.They didn't fingerprint the bag that the weed was in, they pretty much said, this weed was in your luggage, therefore you were trying to bring it into our country. I don't know whether she's guilty or not, but another thing that many Australian's are pissed about is that she gets 20 years for that, and Abu Bakar Bashir, the convicted mastermind of the Bali bombing (killing 200 or so people), gets 2 years.

ps sorry if I repeated what Changleen said, he beat me to it. Go the Waratahs!
See post by Valve Bouncer top of page two.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
No matter how it happenned, it is very sad. 20 years in prison is a looooooong time. Myself, I have never been to anything other than the L.A. and the Orange County jails (Not my fault, long story short is that I spent 9 days in jail for a CLERICAL ERROR that was O.C's fault) and those two places were a different world. If you have ever been to jail or prison you know what I mean. It is one of the worst places you can be, and I bet that compared to the rest of the world, especially the 3rd world, americas jails are a country club. Lemme tell you something, you don't EVER want to go to jail. It may not rehabiliate, but it sure is a punishment. I feel for this girl, I really do. Whether it's her fault or not, her life is basically over. At least for the next 20+ years.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
NickZ said:
One of the odd things about this case is that the weed is worth more in Australia than it is in Bali, so why would someone take it to Bali to sell it for less than they could get for it in Australia.
read.
valve bouncer said:
Actually mate, just the opposite.

A lot of Aussies live in Bali. It's near home, cheap with a good lifestyle. The local dope (mostly from Sumatra) is plentiful but fraught with danger as most of the local dealers are known to the police so if they wanna stay in business they have to give up a certain precentage of their foreign clients to the police to stay in business. That's a given in the 3rd world. So a lot of the ex-pats get their dope from Australia. Quality is much better, prices are of course higher but they don't have to deal with locals. Much much safer. Good proper Aussie smoke is as good as anywhere in the world so the local expats will pay big bucks to get it in. I'm guessing that most will come by boat. Lots and lots of yachts do the trek from Australia to to Asia but for sure more than a bit will come by tourist. This girl was the first major pot bust but earlier this year 9 Aussies were done for smack in Bali. They haven't gone to trial yet but it's looking good (or bad for them) that they will get the death denalty, at least some of them. If they do go, it won't be the first Aussies to pay the price in SE Asia for drugs. Suffice is to say, there are a lot of Aussies doing time in SE Asian jails for drugs. Americans and Europeans too especially in Thailand, but it's Indonesia, Malaysia and Singapore that you don't wanna do time in. There's an Aussie guy in Singapore now that will swing.

Anyway, Aussies at least know what the deal is in SE Asia as far as drugs go. I personally think this girl knew what she was doing and the odds ran out on her. She shouldn't do 20 years for pot (she shouldn't do 1 minute for pot) but she is guilty I think.