Quantcast

HFX-9's - Can I replace the compression fitting at Caliper end - (not lever end)?

dknittel

Chimp
Dec 15, 2007
Sarasota
I ran this through ridemonkey but maybe someone here knows.
My stock hfx-9 hayes line kinked right at the rear caliper hose assembly - where the hose goes into the caliper via the permanently crimped compression fitting. I cut out the bad part of the hose which only shortened the hose maybe 1/4 inch. still useable in terms of length- so if I could re-attach the hose to the caliper it there would be no problem.

However, since the stock compression fitting at the caliper end has a permanent crimp, the only apparent solution is to replace the whole hose!! What a pain. I cut off the fitting already. is there an aftermarket compression fitting that I can use? Is my only hope to head down to Lowe's Depot and hunt around for something? A hydraulic hose is a pretty generic fluid handling component - anyone tried a home made solution?

I guess what I'm looking for is a solution that doesn't involve replacing the whole hose or if I do replace the hose then I definitely want one that gives me the option to remove and replace the caliper-end fitting. I understand Goodrich has such a hose? if so will the removable compression fitting crimp onto a hayes hose?

Just for clarity - I'm not talking about the master cylinder/lever end of the hose with its non-reusable -but replaceable - fittings. The fitting I'm talking about is on the caliper/piston/wheel end. Apparently not replaceable according to hayes instructions.

I cut off the kinked 1/4 inch of hose with my park tool cable/line/all around good cutter for a nice clean end. I have bleed kit and I've done several successful bleeds on other bikes. (I have a 05 Scott Nitrous 20, 06 Nitrous Ten, 05 Kingfisher. However, when I go to the bike shop (2 of em) they told me "oh you can't just get a fitting for the end - you have to get the whole hose with the fitting pre-attached". See what's going on - Hayes instructions say the same thing - that you can only make cuts on the cylinder end - not the caliper end. So it looks like I'm screwed. Dan

Some Pinkbike folks said to check out goodrich lines. Anyone know of a good retailer?
thanks, Dan.

dknittel

Chimp
Dec 15, 2007
Sarasota
oh yeah - they're the straight in (G2?) type fittings.

Are there any other manufacturers that make a fitting that will both 1) go on the hayes line via compression fitting and 2) screw into hfx caliper? maybe jagwire?

Aug 6, 2006
Denver, CO
Find an old set of beat brakes with the G1 caliper. it uses the same olive/crush washer that the lines takes at the master cylinder. You can use either half or the entire G1 caliper to make this work. The downside to this design is it has more rubber seals to leak and fail. But chances are, at least half of the riders you know have one of these laying in a box in their garage just taking up space.