Quantcast

Hi, newbie intro with a few ???'s

MadMtnMikey

Chimp
May 27, 2008
Virginia
Hi all, just a newbie from VA, thought I'd introduce myself.

I bought a used GT and Giant for my fiance and I to ride and get some exercise. I'm really enjoying it, and I want to head west to Shenandoah and do some trail riding and get a little more aggressive with it.

The GT is like new, it's an Avalanche 3.0, the Giant is a Boulder SE and has seen better days, but all is in working order and I gave it a good lube.

I came across a good deal on a Specialized Rockhopper FSR in really good shape and decided to buy it on an impulse. It seems to have good high end components (not that I would know much though).

Should I stay off the Rockhopper until I perfect my riding skills on the hardtail GT ? And would the Giant be worth upgrading for my Fiance ? She mostly just follows along, I don't know that she'll get into it as much as me. Some things are rusty on it so I thought about getting some new components.

Any advice and insight is appreciated.

MadMtnMikey

Chimp
May 27, 2008
Virginia
thanks.... I've been trying to ride as much as possible since I got the bikes.... Work around the house makes it hard sometimes. I wish I knew of more trails around Richmond. I really need to purchase a decent bike rack next, but I drive a Scion Xb so my options are limited.

domnadz

Chimp
May 26, 2008
hi mate I am new also, I hail from the UK. someone has to i suppose. I live in Devon so have the moorland and local countryside to ride around. have just bought a Diamond Back hardtail just to get some exercise. I haven't riden since I was at school about 20 years ago so bikes have changed considerably for high end ones. the one i have has disc brakes, front suspension and 21 gears. oh and a BELL!!! he he he. Enjoy you rides!

MadMtnMikey

Chimp
May 27, 2008
Virginia
Cheers man..... Yeah, you aren't joking, bikes have really changed. I had a few BMX freestyle bikes when I was young, I thought they were really top end and expensive at around $500 US. Hahaha, that's pocket change compared to the price of bikes now days. I don't see myself buying anything other than pre-owned unless I win the lottery one day.

domnadz

Chimp
May 26, 2008
i think if i win the lottery, I will be moving abroad somewhere hot and buying a "mini" old school to take with me. (not the BMW version). I might buy a new bike!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jwiffle

Chimp
Sep 7, 2004
Keep the hardtail, but go ahead and ride the full-suspension when you want. Don't worry about the skills, they'll come. Yeah, they may come a little faster on the hardtail, but full-suspension is so much fun and allows you much greater control and speed.

The Giant is a decent entry-level bike, but isn't necessarily the most worthy of major upgrades. It has a overly-relaxed geometry for serious off-road riding. It is designed for the more casual rider. I would just replace or upgrade things as they broke.

Oh, and you mention heading to Shenandoah. If you mean Shenandoah National Park, stay off of the trails, as riding on the trails is not allowed in the park. You can ride Skyline drive if you like a good workout, though. Check out Elizabeth Furnace and other places in George Washington National Forest--a lot of great riding. (Elizabeth Furnace area is very rough, rocky, steep, just an fyi). Shenandoah Mountain Trail in GW Forest is an awesome ride if you want a really long ride.