Quantcast

High end DH bike advise (shocker,socom,jedi, etc)

climbingbubba

Monkey
May 24, 2007
So i come from a AM/FR background and am going to build up a DH bike. currently i ride an intense Slopestyle and love it. so naturally i was going to get a socom but am having second thoughts. maybe you guys can help.
This bike will be my shuttle, resort, plow/hack, big huck bike. i want to beat the crap out of this thing riding it hard. it would require the occasional fire road uphill too. i might race it once or twice for fun but mainly ride really nasty, huck filled, fast, tech, steep trails with it so a mid 14" bb might be best.

i am 6 feet tall with long arms, i weigh about 180ish all geared up, ive hit up to 20 foot gaps but want to go bigger, i want to get faster on the rough stuff.

my thoughts (from most likely to least)

cove shocker
positive - burly, stiff, 8.75" rear link suspension, canadian made, easier to find used
negative- heavy, INTERUPTED SEATTUBE !!!! :banghead:, torn between large and medium.

intense socom
positive - light, full seattube, vp suspension, US made, sexy
negative - weaker, bearings are expensive and wear out, hard to find, flexy

canfield jedi
positive - awesome suspension, light, short chainstays, cool company
negitive - i will never find one used....ever

iron horse sunday
positive - light, strong, easy to find, look sexy
negative - no longer in production, too low of BB, people will call me a sam hill wannabe

im open for other suggestions but please no single pivots and no specialized or trek's. i want something unique.

Last edited:

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I have a Socom with a front derailer and love it. The bearings are cheap and will last a season. It is not a huck bike. I use it as my do all bike, but mostly FR. Im not a hucker. I hit 10ft max drops with good trannys. It has taken a lot of DH this year and no problems or funny noises.

For what you are decribing, I think a Jedi or Cove STD would be the best bike for you.

nowlan

Monkey
Jul 30, 2008
My Socom is going on its 3rd season of hard riding with no issues. The bushings require some maintenance and the pivot bolts in the upper linkage have a habit of comming loose. I have a 32 tooth ring up front with a road casette which gives me a wide range of riding abitities. Some people say the rear is flexy, ie if your holding the seat you can grab the back tire and move it from side to side a little, sometimes you can feel it in the corners.
Its been on countless shuttles, some pretty gnarly spills and even flew off the roof of a car at highway speeds and has held up amazingly. I have nothing but good stuff to say about it. The nimbleness and total acceleration factor of the socom is something to be desired. I came off of a DHR and it was a totally different platform.
Just keep up on the maintenance and youll be fine.
Good luck with your choice.

eastcoast_dh

Chimp
Oct 9, 2008
plattsburgh, ny
I used to have a DHR and really like the feel of it and can only imagine that the 09 DHR would be better with the inrto of the DW-link this year. They are pricey but I think well worth it.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
You want a large in the Shocker, the Medium is.....compact ;)
The Shocker doesn't climb anything steeper than a drivway either.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Single pivots can be unique too. Orange is making a very long shock frame for 2010 (300mm??). Also look at the new evil. Well respected company for their great HT frames and their new sp design is quite nice. The bb height is adjustable so you can get it above 14''.

For what you are thinking about Jedi seems like the best choice. Rough stuff and rearward go in pair.
You could also try lapierre dh-920 from canada/europe as it is not available in us but I don't think it is a bike intended for hucking.
From Virtual bikes I'd also look at Karpiel disco volante (no reason to pay extra for the army imo). I know that the company has a bad rep but now they have a new owner and to get them in us you go threw us based distributor that is rather unlikely screw you and run (or is that a preq. for the job ? ;) )
Nicolai helious st or other FR/DH rig from them could also be nice. You've got adjustable geo, 5 year warranty, custom colours and tailoring the geo option on all but the ion models(still has adjustable geo from 13.1'' bb up to over 14'' if I'm not wrong)

climbingbubba

Monkey
May 24, 2007
thanks guys,

as for the karpiel, no thanks, my brother rides an older one. he has been trying to get replacement parts for it from karpiel for atleast a year. ever since they said they were back in business.

Again, no single pivots its not like i hate them its just i have owned 3 single pivots and one vpp. the one vpp has made me never want to go back. just my opinion.

I owned a nicolai ufo st. wish i still had it. it is a single pivot though.

i really am leaning towards either the shocker or the socom. there are so many stories floating around about the socom denting and cracking that it makes me a little nervous and since i don't really care about weight its pushing me towards the shocker, if it had a full seattube i would buy it for sure.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Why the need for a full length seat tube? On an xc or trailbike its a must, but I only alter seat height about an inch or so on a DH bike.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
thanks guys,

as for the karpiel, no thanks, my brother rides an older one. he has been trying to get replacement parts for it from karpiel for atleast a year. ever since they said they were back in business.

Again, no single pivots its not like i hate them its just i have owned 3 single pivots and one vpp. the one vpp has made me never want to go back. just my opinion.

I owned a nicolai ufo st. wish i still had it. it is a single pivot though.

i really am leaning towards either the shocker or the socom. there are so many stories floating around about the socom denting and cracking that it makes me a little nervous and since i don't really care about weight its pushing me towards the shocker, if it had a full seattube i would buy it for sure.
All depends on the pivot location but I won't force you.
Nicolai ION if I'm not wrong has FSR susp not SP. The rest are SPs. Socom imo isn't a bike for hucks. Some ppl realy break them so if you want to ride it hard go jedi or shocker.

climbingbubba

Monkey
May 24, 2007
i believe nicolai's have horst link.
i did like my nicolai, very solid.

question to anyone here who has ridden or owns a canfield jedi.
how does the 16.25 chainstays feel? thats crazy short!!! does if feel weird or twitchy? i guess since it has 2.5" or rearward travel it would extend the CS length when it sags.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
All depends on the pivot location but I won't force you.
Nicolai ION if I'm not wrong has FSR susp not SP. The rest are SPs. Socom imo isn't a bike for hucks. Some ppl realy break them so if you want to ride it hard go jedi or shocker.
I think what he means is no elevated chainstay-mono-pivot bikes like the orange, linkages-to-control the rate of the shock seem to be ok, they do have some inherent advantages.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I think what he means is no elevated chainstay-mono-pivot bikes like the orange, linkages-to-control the rate of the shock seem to be ok, they do have some inherent advantages.
Ppl often mistake the two. They've ridden simple mono-pivots and assume that all other sp's perform the same.

cableguy

Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
Southern California
Just curious if you have tried/demoed an M6. Bottom bracket is ridiculously low 13.75", but lots of people seem to love it. I have a Slopestyle too (which has a low BB), and can't imagine taking it or M6 through serious rock gardens. But obviously, some people do.

Maybe M3? I have been looking at Cove Shockers too. The new DHR looks interesting, but won't be out until next summer according to my shop.

tlproject7

Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
is a sunday actually something your looking at? cause that opens like ten more options. plus the iron horse is no more unique then the demo or the trek. sh*t from what i have heard, you want a sessions 8. cept for the price

climbingbubba

Monkey
May 24, 2007
sessions 88 would be $$$$. not totally against it though.

honestly, i have been reading a ton and am probably just going to buy either a canfield jedi, cove shocker, or maybe even a glory dh. i think it will depend on whichever one i find used or a good deal first.

im starting to be glad i didn't buy my brothers socom, i know they are a good bike but one high maintenance bike is enough for me. i want something that i can huck/crash and not be worried about it. i don't want a sub 40lb bike. i want something that will plow take a beating for a few years.
thanks for all the help though. ill post it up whatever i end up getting

c.o.d51

Monkey
Oct 5, 2005
sessions 88 would be $$$$. not totally against it though.

honestly, i have been reading a ton and am probably just going to buy either a canfield jedi, cove shocker, or maybe even a glory dh. i think it will depend on whichever one i find used or a good deal first.

im starting to be glad i didn't buy my brothers socom, i know they are a good bike but one high maintenance bike is enough for me. i want something that i can huck/crash and not be worried about it. i don't want a sub 40lb bike. i want something that will plow take a beating for a few years.
thanks for all the help though. ill post it up whatever i end up getting
Sent you a pm;)

Patan-DH

Monkey
Jun 9, 2007
Patagonia
Giant Glory- for dependable factor
transition blinside- if you want something lighter and the price is spot on (but still a SP)

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
i've seen pictures off the new orange proto for 2010 but it has a 267 x 95mm Fox DHX 5.0 shock.
you've seen them, but we havent, mind sharing?

Im kinda stripped between the options you've said, although Id go for a M6 instead of the socom. Im 6'0, would a medium shocker be too small? What If I get one of those new 60mm integrated stems and the layed back thomson elite posts?

climbingbubba

Monkey
May 24, 2007
crap, i might be eating my words!!

so my brother decided he can't afford his socom build again but this time for sure.
now im torn just because of price.

he would sell it for $1200 and there is not a single scratch on the entire bike. not even a sticker smudge. it also has a pushed dhx 5.0 coil with a titanium coil. plus the 135 rear spacing and 73mm bb would mean i wouldn't need new cranks.

CRAP!!!!!!!!!

well i got some thinking to do.

big dan

Chimp
Oct 12, 2007
Brisbane, Australia

Im kinda stripped between the options you've said, although Id go for a M6 instead of the socom. Im 6'0, would a medium shocker be too small? What If I get one of those new 60mm integrated stems and the layed back thomson elite posts?
Medium shocker would be borderline. I am 6 ft 2 and rode a medium for a season but have now moved on to a large...much better. The shocker is a nice rig, a little heavy but it seems pretty durable.

braaaap

Chimp
Feb 27, 2007
Utard
I am a total bike whore...had almost everything and I can't say enough good stuff about my Jedi. Unbelivable performance. The short chain stays are deceiving....because the bike is rearward, if feels super plush, but yet short enough to jump and hop around on. Canfields are super cool and have always backed their bikes. If great customer service and amazing suspension are what you are after...The Jedi is your answer.

I attached a pic of mine.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Here's another vote for the canfield. Not based on experience with the jedi so much, I've only played around on one for a bit, but based on the fact that I have a lucky and I've never been so pumped on a bike in my life, and the bro's are absolutely a treat to deal with, picking up their phone/calling me back mid ride over a weekend to answer random questions. Totally chill dudes and very very helpful.

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007

Sitting under the 'Strange' prototype label was this enormous monster. Orange is experimenting with using a linkage to control the end stroke of the shock. This one has a massive 3.5in stroke Fox DH shock, ribbed bolted dropouts and an adjustable headtube angle.
Eurobike 2008

Last edited: