Quantcast

High end suspension comparison....

vikingboy

Monkey
Dec 15, 2009
Really appreciate this forums largely technical focus and wanted to give something back to the RM community.
My main build thread is over on >MTBR< but wanted to start something here specifically around my comparison of the Fox RC4, Cane Creek Double Barrel and Fox RC4 shocks mounted to the 2012 SX Trail.

Picture above slightly out of date but spec looks like this currently.

Large 2012 SX Trail (Fox RC4, Bos Stoy, Cane Creek DB)
Bos Idylle SC forks
SRAM Reverb seatpost, SDG Ti-Fly saddle
Shimano Saint (165mm), e13 36T chainring, Point1 Podium pedals, E13 LG1+ chainguide
KMC X10SL chain, Sram XX 11-36 cassette
Easton Havoc wheels
Specialized Hillbilly's (tubeless @ 24/27psi F/R)
2012 Formula RO, 200mm/180mm F/R
Sram X0 short derailleur & shifter
Easton Havoc 35mm stem, Renthal Fatbar @ 780mm and Renthal Kevlar grips

weight circa 36-37lbs.

Me is 6'2 @ 95kg.

Hope to get out this weekend and see how the Bos rides compared to the CCDB which been on for a couple of years now on various bikes and have a good idea of how it rides.

thx
Ian

nmpearson

Monkey
Dec 30, 2006
the bike looks super sick. def looks like a fun bike. I'll def read the comparison even though i'll never buy bos and CCDB's don't work very well on the bikes i ride

phycoref

Chimp
Oct 6, 2010
Canada
Awesome build thread, the amount of detail you went into is awesome for anybody looking for info on this frame or even any of the components you used! That's one very dialed bike!

Last edited:

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Having owned and ridden all three of those shocks on the same frame myself (four if you include the kashima and non-kashima RC4), my biggest piece of advice would be to make sure you get even sag on each shock before trying to draw comparisons.

In my case, a 300 spring on the RC4 was about the same as a 325 on the Stoy, and the CCDB would have been somewhere between 325-350 (the latter in my case as the frame is linear and the CC offers no compensation for that).

I think at the end of the day, some shocks will just suit some frames better, rather than one being better than the other.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Good luck, can't wait to hear your results. As Udi said, make sure to take some time to tune each shock as much as possible. Nothing worse than drawing conclusions on an uneven playing field.

nullstein

Chimp
Jan 21, 2012
Great Thread!
I am really interested in how you guys adapted the SToy and CCDB to the linkage Yokes.Habe you machined totally new Yokes or have you machined the shock itself?