Quantcast

High Piviot Chain Pulley Question

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
east of Seattle
I have a frame with a chain pulley (PDC). The teeth are wearing greatly. I will probably not be able to get a new one for a couple weeks but need to head to Utah in 7 days.

All this gets me thinking, how important are the teeth on a pulley on a frame design like the PDC, Balfa, Canfied etc..?

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
Not very at all - all they do is locate the chain, they don't actually hold any load along the chain's axis. In theory you could just use a roller like an MRP one (no teeth, just a channel) but in reality they'd wear out far too fast.

DHDror

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
Israel
The pully on my 3 Y.O. BB7 also has nice teeth.

I think the the teeth are for better alignment of the chain in the midle of the groove and less noise as a consequence.

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
east of Seattle
The chain exits straight. I think it wore fast becase it's a soft aluminum. One of the changes for the next generation of the bike will be a steel pulley.

Here is a pic if anyone is interested

aidanwray

Chimp
May 16, 2005
UK
it makes no difference.

all that the pulley does is locate the chain in the right place, the teeth keep it in the right place and presumably help stop it falling off.

i.e. an mrp roller and toothy e13 cog both are different but do the same kinda job

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
66 said:
The chain exits straight. I think it wore fast becase it's a soft aluminum. One of the changes for the next generation of the bike will be a steel pulley.

Here is a pic if anyone is interested

Ok any wearing part being made out of aluminium was pretty dumb to start with. A steel pulley would last much much longer.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
beaverbiker said:
what about aluminum chainrings? you want those made of steel too? it wore for different reasons than it being aluminum genius.
uh, please explain. steel is harder than aluminum, ergo it would wear slower, no?

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
beaverbiker said:
what about aluminum chainrings? you want those made of steel too? it wore for different reasons than it being aluminum genius.
Chainrings are much larger thus spreading the wear out over a larger surface area. There is a reason why granny gears and rear cassette cogs are not made of aluminum.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Ciaran said:
Chainrings are much larger thus spreading the wear out over a larger surface area. There is a reason why granny gears and rear cassette cogs are not made of aluminum.

They make aluminum granny gears and cogs. FYI

The jockey pulley shouldn't wear as there is no torque on it. Derailleur jockey pulleys are plastic and they last forever. Did you check you chain? A stretched chain can destroy a new chainring in a single ride.

The pulley on my BB7 which is under identical loads lasted for a long time and it was aluminum.

beaverbiker

Monkey
Feb 5, 2003
Santa Clara
Ciaran said:
that is true, when there is a torque being applied to the gear. as an idler pulley with little/no torque applied, the tangential forces acting on the tips of the teeth are near zero. these tangential forces are what wear the teeth down. the larger the tooth (a function of the number of teeth and the diametral pitch), the more area that these tangential forces are distributed over. so in a large chainring where the number of teeth is large for about the same diametral pitch as a smaller chainring, the area is larger. so you are right. but like some other dude said, they make small chainrings and small cogs out of aluminum as well. it all depends on how good you are at manufacturing them. to increase the fatigue life of a part there are many surface treatments that can be done (i.e., surface hardening causing residual compressive stresses on the surface of the part).

my point was that switching to a steel pulley may help, but it's not a solution. its obvious that the assumption of zero torque(zero tangential forces acting on the tooth) is wrong. efforts should be put towards figuring that out, which could lead to larger problems (i.e. wearing out a chain after 2 rides), instead of switching to a steel pulley.

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
does the pully have friction when mounted or does it spin freely, you might need to put in some washers so you only clamp the stationary part of the bearing.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
thaflyinfatman said:
Not very at all - all they do is locate the chain, they don't actually hold any load along the chain's axis. In theory you could just use a roller like an MRP one (no teeth, just a channel) but in reality they'd wear out far too fast.
it would do more than wear out fast, it would probably break (especially a derailler pulley), or dig into the roller so much it'd bog things down. I use that type of pulley setup and its the one thing thats given me the most problems...i've had one pulley design self destruct, another fall apart or loosen up etc. That should have a steel cog if its to survive; the torque is super low but the load on the gear is quite high; deforming the flats between teeth really screws with th drivetrain. Also it seems like they use a 11t cog, ideally you'd want a higher tooth count to better distribute the load across the gear, and it makes the drivetrain a bit smoother (i started with a 11t, now use a 15t).

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
zedro said:
it would do more than wear out fast, it would probably break (especially a derailler pulley), or dig into the roller so much it'd bog things down. I use that type of pulley setup and its the one thing thats given me the most problems...i've had one pulley design self destruct, another fall apart or loosen up etc. That should have a steel cog if its to survive; the torque is super low but the load on the gear is quite high; deforming the flats between teeth really screws with th drivetrain. Also it seems like they use a 11t cog, ideally you'd want a higher tooth count to better distribute the load across the gear, and it makes the drivetrain a bit smoother (i started with a 11t, now use a 15t).
The pulley on my canfield is 15t and made of Ti, i have yet to have any issues with it other than a bit of wear.

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
Hmm, I got an idea - make a carrier that has the same dimensions as a freehub body (well the splines or whatever they are anyway), and just use a rear cassette cog as an easily-replaceable, already-designed idler interface?

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
east of Seattle
so it's sounding like even if i replace the pulley this may happen again. right? The chain is fine, it shouldn't be the source of the problem.

What should I change? The pulley points the chain into the chain ring fairly straight. the chain ring is bent so there is a little wobble. Hopefully that isn't the problem because if have never had a chainring/crank/chainguide stay straight for very long. especially with the bb height on this bike. larger pulley?