Quantcast

Higher Hops

skajumper

Chimp
Mar 22, 2005
Hey,
I have searched and found nothing really relating to my problem. I was practicing my hops today using my backpack to hop over, and i was lying it down on its side, about 40 cm high, and i was clearing it easily with my front wheel, but my back wheel would hit it because it seemed it was still on its way up, atleast thats what my friend said. Then i was able to clear that just, so i put my bag up straight, about 2ish foot, and i had the same problem of my back wheel hitting it on the way up. I tried hopping earlier but i just couldnt seem to convince myself that it was right and just ended up not going high enough.
Just looking for some suggestions on how to hop higher and more confidently so that i can actually use them on cement and stuff.
thanks alot

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
legend, you need to push your arms out forward and away from you more between frame one and two as well as springing up with your feet and arms as you are doing now. Don't look down so much either. Look forward or at your landing at least - you're squishing yourself. Go faster too - You're high enough in the second shot but you rate of drop is too fast for your rate of travel.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
looks like you have the technique good enough.

now just practice, practice, practice.

I like to find a ledge to hop up, something that gets progessivly higher. that way I can start low and slowly move my way up.

phlegm

Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
Whistler/Vancouver
Basically, you want to get your front wheel up over the height of the obstacle before you're right in front of it (lets say approximately 2 feet), and with speed, you'll be able to pick up your back end to the same height, and clear the obstacle.

Front end up 2 feet away, push forward and tuck with your feet, clear obstacle, push down with feet and ride away smooth.

skajumper

Chimp
Mar 22, 2005
phlegm said:
Basically, you want to get your front wheel up over the height of the obstacle before you're right in front of it (lets say approximately 2 feet), and with speed, you'll be able to pick up your back end to the same height, and clear the obstacle.

Front end up 2 feet away, push forward and tuck with your feet, clear obstacle, push down with feet and ride away smooth.
Thanks, thats the kind of advice im looking for. I will try it when i next go riding.