Quantcast

Highline as a VP-Free replacement?

Jono

Chimp
Apr 1, 2002
Welly, Nooziland
...so my vp-free has just been stolen, and given the extended production break from santa cruz, I'm thinking that a highline might be a good replacement as a freeride/extreme-XC/trail bike.

Are there any people out there that have ridden both, and have opinions that you want to share?

Frustratedly (it was locked to a wall in my deadlocked, alarmed house). Ah well....

Jono

Jono

Chimp
Apr 1, 2002
Welly, Nooziland
also, if I was coming from a medium frame (which worked well), what size would be good on a turner? The medium turner looks quite a bit smaller than the medium 'free...

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
xc riding is not that bad. to be honest i ride my xc bike much much more than the dh bike as it is much easier to find a place to ride it around here

Jono

Chimp
Apr 1, 2002
Welly, Nooziland
Yeah - don't get me wrong - I love XC. It's just that over the last six months I have been making a lot of progression on the freeride angle, and it's frustrating to not be able to continue while I'm all inspired from my trip to whistler and the north shore :)

At least it's winter (and cold and wet) here at the moment :)

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
The HL is pretty sweet. It's made to take a lot of abuse, and can be set up very light for a big bike. My bro has one, and his only complaint is the fact that the bb is a little higher than he's used to after coming from a DHR.

Oct 30, 2006
Get a Highline or a VPX, both great bikes and similar to the VPFree in its abilities. As for the sizing on the Turner, the mediums are indeed a little smaller(but not that much) than the SC ones but the large turner is bigger than a medium SC. So, get a medium turner if your looking for freeride beast or get the large if your looking for more of a smaller travel dh bike. What sort of riding you do, freeride or dh! How dyour bike get stolen????

Jono

Chimp
Apr 1, 2002
Welly, Nooziland
I had it locked (with a kryptonite NY lock and chain) inside our house (Which was also deadlocked and alarmed at the time) - the door was forced (until the doorframe snapped), and only the bike, an old DH helmet and a heart rate monitor taken (they left the litespeed which was next to the 'free).

So I think it was a pretty targeted thing...

Anyways - I've had a confirmation that Santa Cruz can build me up a mismatched frame (which I could have repainted back here if I wanted), so now it's the hard decision time.

As for riding, it's a bit of everything. The occasional DH race (NZ has a larger race scene than a freeride scene), a fair bit of sessioning jumps and drops, and a lot of trail riding (NZ is epic for singletrack trail riding).

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
I would get the turner my self, look at the geometries and suspension design(bump absorbtion) and what your riding is like, then decide.

Oct 30, 2006
Id get a Highline too, so sleek and stealth (or a Soccom). But if SantaCruz can hook you up with a deal, go for that! Not worth the $ difference then.

RJM

Monkey
May 18, 2005
on the rocks
Man, Sorry to hear about the break in. Are you in NZ? I thought it was super safe there, no crime, etc. etc...

I've ridden both a bit. Demod some vp's, buddy had one as well so we would trade. at the trade show, the medium vp free was the worst FR bike I ever tried...Knolly's, Foes, RockyMtns, Turners, Giants, Mtn CYcle and more. The Vp straight up sucked IMO. it was had a stuffy boring ride in comparison.

I've owned a highline and demoed some as well.

It is the funnest bike I have ever ridden, can be xc'd, it can fly, it can dh. Its an all around machine for the right person. Make it a short travel trick bike with short shock, a 7" rail bike with the 8.5" shock, or 8" FR dedicated bike with the 8.75" shock.

Great bike, great CS from a great company dedicated to riding, The highline is a winner.