Quantcast

Hiking boot thread

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Seeing as most of us Hike. backpack etc. Why not a thread on what you have, why and pros and cons? share the knowledge.

Me size 13 wide. Needs: ankle support for my surgically repaired left ankle. low top light weights will not cut it. I used to hike in Vasque's but the newer lasts are too narrow even in their wide version. I ended up with the ASOLO Fugitives in a 13 wide. Gortex lined up to the top cuff. Nylon outer with leather around the toe box , resolable (if you send it to ASOLO you get the OEM sole)

I can wear these everyday all day long and often do. Not lightweight but not heavyweight either. After a year plus they show no wear. The sole grips well but it is stiff. Ankle support is excellent. I have experienced no leaks. $275. I would buy these again

IMG_20210313_124108164~2.jpg
IMG_20210313_124703439~2.jpg

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Day hikes, work and mucking about with the dogs- love Merrill Moabs. Inexpensive, light and fashiony. Dont break the bank when they die.

Picked up a pair of Oboz Sawtooth IIs awhile back. Relatively stiff and supportive, good for day/overnight light loads w/ maybe a scramble or 2.

If I was to go long and heavy, I would lean on my Danner Acadias. Almost 20 years old, re-soled and still the best boot I have ever owned.

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
What about shoelaces, are there any that don't get shredded by metal eyelets or hooks after a month or two?

The absolute worst is doing up your footwear at the trailhead and having a lace snap off.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I just picked up some La Sportiva Spire GTX boots, first time wearing the brand. Don't have enough miles on them to make a judgement but they have way more traction than my last boots so I'm psyched about that. A few of the hikes we did in this last year were pretty exposed, and I could have used a little more security.

I was debating on some trail runners instead, since basically all of our hiking is day hikes so our packs are light, but I'm a little too clumsy and often appreciate a bit more material/durability on the sides and uppers. Anyone here gone all-in on trail runners?

I absolutely loved the fit of the high ankle Vasque's I had several years ago but didn't find that their lower cut boots felt quite as good and haven't tried the brand in a while.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Pretty sure mine are Zamberlan Zeniths, they are shit, the ouside of the footbed was really firm and the center collapsed quite a bit on my first 5 day glorified hike.
I won't get waterproof boots again, I'll just use well ventilated trail running shoes and gaiters, it's not cold here.

Last edited:

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Seeing as most of us Hike. backpack etc. Why not a thread on what you have, why and pros and cons? share the knowledge.

Me size 13 wide. Needs: ankle support for my surgically repaired left ankle. low top light weights will not cut it. I used to hike in Vasque's but the newer lasts are too narrow even in their wide version. I ended up with the ASOLO Fugitives in a 13 wide. Gortex lined up to the top cuff. Nylon outer with leather around the toe box , resolable (if you send it to ASOLO you get the OEM sole)

I can wear these everyday all day long and often do. Not lightweight but not heavyweight either. After a year plus they show no wear. The sole grips well but it is stiff. Ankle support is excellent. I have experienced no leaks. $275. I would buy these again

View attachment 157766View attachment 157767
rocked these for 10ish years until they started coming apart in multiple places. Great boots.

think the original recommendation to buy them came from here about 15 years ago.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I once did a 5 hour hike with a dude that was barefoot and had a fanny pack made from alligator skin.

I currently have merrels and 5.10s. I have a pair of keens I haven't tried yet.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I once did a 5 hour hike with a dude that was barefoot and had a fanny pack made from alligator skin.

I currently have merrels and 5.10s. I have a pair of keens I haven't tried yet.
I think it was about 5yrs ago that I did my one and only walk and a few people had those Five Finger sandals Vibram got sued over. I commented one one person's sandals and they said they came across a guy doing it all barefoot, not sure if he had a fannpack, there were a couple of trail runners doing the 40mile track in a day.

Out of curiosity, has anyone got Vibram soled shoes/boots that grip well in the wet?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I have a fucked up big toe that kills me when going uphill and makes traditional boots a no go. These Hoka's are the only things that let me get out on the trail. More of a glorified sneaker, wish they had better toe protection and ankle support, or some toe protection and ankle support.

1615694407881.png

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Merrel. I've had Asolo and they were not bad. It always seems though when you find something you like, the company then goes corporate and cheapens out everything to maximize profits.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Merrel. I've had Asolo and they were not bad. It always seems though when you find something you like, the company then goes corporate and cheapens out everything to maximize profits.
Yup, old Merrel lasted ages but later ones just fell to pieces after a year or so. I had some ‘Ice-something’ waking boots that lasted like 15 years, but the last pair I got, with like a big M on the side, about 5yrs ago just fell apart. I used to like the Chameleons too, but they stopped being available.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Oh, so YOU are the one that tripped for 5 days straight with the QAnon Shaman.
If I had 5 days straight to do whatever I wanted I would not be spending the entire time on drugs.

And if I had to spend 5 consecutive minutes with that nutjob it'd end in ritualistic murder.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
That. Seems whatever I buy these days falls appart way too soon...

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
With pack weights being as low as they are with the availability of ultralight gear the vast majority of thru hikers have switched to trail runners. They are light weight, dry fast, have a ton of cushion and wide toe boxes for your foot to move around.

I use Altra Lone Peaks.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
With pack weights being as low as they are with the availability of ultralight gear the vast majority of thru hikers have switched to trail runners. They are light weight, dry fast, have a ton of cushion and wide toe boxes for your foot to move around.

I use Altra Lone Peaks.

Can’t post a pic from my iPhone...grrr
And no ankle support for snappy snappy chipped rolled ankles!

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004

I use Altra Lone Peaks.

Can’t post a pic from my iPhone...grrr
This. Did a lot of packing/hiking in OR in my twenties in a pair of Vasque Skywalks.

Fast forward a few years, and pretty much any decent treaded burly trail running shoe works for me now.

I don't have bad ankles/don't need funky arch support/etc. so am lucky in that respect. Nearly anything off the shelf that fits works for my feet. Granted, any overnight hikes in the last few years have also only been 1-2, not the 4-7 or so from the past. After a few more days, even with much lighter loads, I'd probably be wishing to have those Vasques back.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
And no ankle support for snappy snappy chipped rolled ankles!
Well, you do have to pay attention to where you are placing your feet. Trekking poles are quite handy for provided additional stability. I have learned to immediately take weight off my foot when I feel it start to roll. Probably something I learned from falling off mountain bikes.

I was actually surprised to learn that thru hikers no longer wear boots. Thought for sure I’d need a pair of heavy, clunky boots. But trail runners are where it’s at. Only downside is that I will go through 5 pairs on my AT thru hike as they only last about 500 miles.

Would also like to point out that hikers seem to get fewer blisters from trail runners than hiking boots.

Last edited:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I have a fucked up big toe that kills me when going uphill and makes traditional boots a no go. These Hoka's are the only things that let me get out on the trail. More of a glorified sneaker, wish they had better toe protection and ankle support, or some toe protection and ankle support.

View attachment 157785
I have a pair of hoka....the most comfortable shoe my arch support hating feet have ever worn....

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Old pair of Timberland Cadion Gore Tex with Vibram soles.
Wasn't keen on them at first, but after a long break-in they have become one of the most comfortable boots I have owned. Having said that, they have all been mid-level stuff like Solomon, Hi-Tek, Merrell and Vasque.

Maybe something like Danner or Zamberlan next.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Regardless of pack weight, there's been more than a handful of trails in the mountains that were asking for a sprained/rolled ankle due to shear terrain. Wouldn't want to be descending in low cut boots, especially when getting tired and a bit wobbly-legged.

Descending Chemin des dames down Mt. Adams in the Whites in the fall, specifically for me. Absolute torture.

Last edited:

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
A couple footwear accessories that I have had much success with are Lock Laces and Dirty Girl Gators. Lock laces are basically shock cords for your shoes that allow you to put them on and take them off without untying. Turns them into slippers. Dirty Girl gators cover your ankle up to the shin, pretty small, but keeps debris out of your shoe. Any foreign matter can create a hot spot which can become a blister.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Regardless of pack weight, there's been more than a handful of trails in the mountains that were asking for a sprained/rolled ankle due to shear terrain. Wouldn't want to be descending in low cut boots, especially when getting tired and a bit wobbly-legged.

Descending Chemin des dames down Mt. Adams in the Whites in the fall, specifically for me. Absolute torture.

I've done it so many times that my ankles are F-ed and I have to wear braces. Low cut is just asking for it (for me).

The great thing about the hundred or more miles of hiking I just did a week ago is my foot is "locked" inside a hard boot, so no worries. Going back to regular mtb, I gotta wear the braces just in case I put my foot down all goofy, since my tendons are stretched to hell.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

I use Altra Lone Peaks.

Those the WTB weirwolfs of shoes?

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Got a set of Zamberlan's (not sure what model, purchased 5 years ago) holding up ok, vibram sole is okish for grip.
The La Sportiva Boulder's that I love, super grippy an light, low cut tho so not so much ankle suport/protection.
Next boots will def be another set of La Sportiva's.

Last edited: