Quantcast

Hiking Boots/Shoes?

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I'm a hiking n00b... been hiking all my life, but never seriously (i.e. for more than one day) and I've always worn tennis shoes, or low-top rugged "trail" cross trainers.

I'm going to Yosemite for a week & I'm trying not to get own3d, so I thought the proper equipment would serve me well.

Any recommendations or things I should look out for when trying these on?

thanks!

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
when do you leave for yosemite? get the boots soon and start wearing them constantly beforehand. try them on with the hiking socks that you will be wearing out in yosemite. try them on later in the day and make sure they have plenty of room in the toes so they don't get killed on long/rugged descents. definitely try them at a place that knows what they are talking about and has a good assortment of sizes.

while they are expensive(retail is $145 iirc), i recommend the vasque clarion gtx. got them for a 6 day backpacking trip next week and from the hiking that i have done with them so far they have been awesome. the break in time was fairly quick and even when i was breaking them in i didn't have a problem with blisters.

mudgirl

Molester of monkeys
Jun 8, 2007
Tied up in the basement
Check out Merrell's as well. Again, expensive, but well worth it. I hate buying new shoes because I always have a hard time breaking them in, but these things were awesome! No break-in time at all. I love my Merrell's!!!

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Like I just said in another thread, Vasque Sundowners. Best fvcking boots ever.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
try them on with the hiking socks that you will be wearing out in yosemite. try them on later in the day and make sure they have plenty of room in the toes so they don't get killed on long/rugged descents. definitely try them at a place that knows what they are talking about and has a good assortment of sizes.

while they are expensive(retail is $145 iirc)...
lots of great advice.

get the boots soon and start wearing them constantly beforehand.
YES!

The only thing I can add is, after you know for a fact that you'll keep your boots, get them soaking wet, I mean soaking, sloshing fvcking wet.

Go for a walk in them. You don't need to hike, just walk. Walk until they're completely dry. Now they fit you properly.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
lots of great advice.
well i do have the benefit of working for an outdoors store. i just wish that questions on kayaks, canoes, hiking stuff, and climbing gear came up more often so i could wow the forum with my plethora of knowledge.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
You can explain the best way to portage a boat during a mountaineering expedition and the best knots to use when pulling said boat over a mountain that's in the way.

Ok, go.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I also have some vasque GTX XCR boots and LOVE them. Very water resistant, well built, not too hot in summer and not too cool in the winter, although the sole get slippery below freezing. Well worth the price of admission.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
With such a sort time between purchase and hiking trip, be prepared for blisters.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I've recently become a proponent of using trail runners as my main hiking shoes. I had a pair of Vasque Clarion GTXs (the ones skinny mike suggested) and they performed well, but were a bit heavy (especially when wet- they did not dry well), a bit hot in the summer and the waterproofing wasn't so great after a while no matter how much snoseal I put on after the GoreTex was clearly useless. Oh, and the sole is not as grippy as almost any standard Vibram sole.

I've been using New Balance 810s:
http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=39281685&memberId=12500226

with Mountain Hardwear low gaiters:
http://www.backcountry.com/store/MHW0040/Mountain-Hardwear-Trail-Gaiter.html?id=Q5nMnnsb

So far, I'm liking it better than pretty much any boot I've used. I've hiked in conditions ranging from 100 degree heat to about 15-20 degree cold without any real problems. I use my Chacos sometimes too when its warm out and the trail isn't too gnarly (though I have used them in cool weather when the trail was quite gnarly and it worked well). The light weight, easy drying and low break in time are awesome.

New Balance, Asics, Salomon and Montrail all have great trail shoes. The big downside of a trail runner or light low hiker are durability (foam wears out quickly compared to boot midsoles).

I don't think I'll be using GoreTex boots again. They seem to work well on day hikes and for short durations, but the waterproofing layer breaks down over time and, if you happen to be hiking all day in the rain, NOTHING will work. I would get a good 45 minutes out of my Vasques on a wet trail. Waterproof boots also take longer to dry and they seem to hold water in. Using a non waterproof shoe was an easy choice for me, because at least that will drain out and has the potential to dry in a day or two.

Lots of people use regular waterproof boots with good effect, of course. The Vasques are decent (grab a pair of Sundowners if you want a more old school boot). Two more are the Asolo Fugitive and the Garmont Flash (the latter did not fit my foot well and gave me blisters rather quickly, but it's a quality boot if it works for you; I bought them because they were one of the lightest full waterproof boots I could find). As others have said, get some time in them as soon as possible. Wear them around the house, running errands, at work if you can, etc. Good socks are key too.

skidster!!

Chimp
Sep 25, 2004
whitehorse, yukon
I have a pair of Scarpa Sherpa boots, and for me, they are the best. The break-in period was pretty brutal, but in order to get around that, wear two pairs of socks; one thin nylon/wool liner sock, and one thicker wool hiking sock. This will also save your feet from getting blisters. I've been using my boots for about 4 months now, and seeing as how i've managed to get away with one pair of boots this summer (I usually go through 3 pairs), I am very satisfied with them. Another suggestion for comfort would be to put a pair of moldable insoles, or better insoles than the stock insoles that come with your boot, especially if you have high arches or particularly funky feet. As has been said above, do wear your boots for a couple of days before you go hiking, and you will probably save yourself a lot of pain during the hike.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
The break-in period was pretty brutal, but in order to get around that, wear two pairs of socks; one thin nylon/wool liner sock, and one thicker wool hiking sock. This will also save your feet from getting blisters.
ah, i forgot to mention that. don't forget to change your socks out at least once or twice a day. all that salt from your sweat just encourages blisters to form.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Thanks for the advice everyone... it looks like I have some research to do! I still have about 3 weeks until we leave for Yosemite and I'll be heading to REI later this week.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
One thing not mentioned here is that the stiffness of the sole you need will depend in part on how heavy you are (including your pack weight) and how rocky the trails are. Lighter people can get away with softer soles, especially for day trips with lighter packs, but if you are a bigger person carrying a full pack your feet will hate you unless you get boots with a pretty stiff sole. Parts of Yosemite are very rocky and you can get some nasty hot spots and pressure points with a soft sole.

Also, heavier folks benefit more from the ankle support given from high tops.

Running shoes? Not gonna work for my 200 lbs and a 30 lb pack.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
How do you know if the sole is stiff?

Bend it. If it folds up, not stiff. Also twist the sole to see movement in that direction.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
Two more are the Asolo Fugitive and the Garmont Flash (the latter did not fit my foot well and gave me blisters rather quickly, but it's a quality boot if it works for you; I bought them because they were one of the lightest full waterproof boots I could find). As others have said, get some time in them as soon as possible. Wear them around the house, running errands, at work if you can, etc. Good socks are key too.
I second the Asolo Fugatives. I love mine.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Thanks again for the advice. the Fugutives look nice. I'm 190, probably going to be carrying a 10-20lb pack. Sole stiffness is something I worry about...

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
Ignore the brand name. Well, make sure it is a decent brand, but don't get hung up trying to find a boot from a specific manufacturer. Most brands will fit a certain type of foot well, so if your foot is shaped like what they fit you're in luck, if not, move along. The last time I tried on boots I really wanted a pair of La Sportivas so I tried on a few pairs of them, and tried to convince myself that they fit well, but they don't. I nearly made myself miserable thinking I could get them and customize the fit with a pair of superfeet insoles and special lacing techniques. It might have worked, but not as well as just buying a pair of boots that fit in the first place.

With that said, I've also become a fan of using trail runners and approach shoes. I wear them for pretty much everything, including carrying a pack. If it's going to be too rough or too much weight for those I wear my mountaineering boots.

Oh, and don't rely too much on the folks at REI. Some of them know what they are talking about, but that number seems to be inversely proportional to the amount of useless gimicky junk and Coleman stuff that they carry.

Ladies boots are pretty much the same.

Evil plug

Chimp
Dec 12, 2005
ive been a huge asolo fan for about 10 years or so now, i have used fugitives for my last 3 pairs of boots, theyre comfortable, supportive under load, and dead nuts waterproof. My girl wears the same, but in ladies

Fshflys

Monkey
Jun 29, 2005
I've had a pair of Vasque for over 25 years & they're still one of the most comfortable boots I own.

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
If you're only going to be doing day hikes, then the money spent on a real pair of hiking boots like Meindel Island will be unnessesary. For easier stuff upto 30lbs I love my Helly Hansen Kikut High. They look like a pair of high ancled running shoes with tractor soles. Very pleasant walk and aesthetics.

For longer walks with heavier pack my Rockport XCS (don't quite remember if that was the modells true name) have been perfect. Nubuck upper with a Vibram sole. It's the same type of shoe as the Meindel Island, ~21cm high, but not quite as pricey. Both these boots have for years now gotten top ratings in various outdoor mags.

Google for reviews on those boots you're interested in, you'll find loads.

The night before you go, and every night that you're out hiking, it'll do you good if you sleep with your feet a bit elevated. It will help alot against your feet swelling up.

Also, go by a pharmacy and get an elastic tape that breaths. They're about 5cm wide and come in a roll. Tape your feet around the heel and on and the big pad ahead of the arch.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
After weighing all the options & taking into consideration that I've been recently injured & don't want to take any chances, or have to buy these twice, I went with the Asolo Fugitives. My gf went with a pair of lighter duty mid-low Vasques.

We went for a long hike up Mt. Tam this weekend and they worked out great! Even thought it was between 80 and 90 in the sun, my feet stayed comfortable, a bit warm at times, but definitely not hot.

I couldn't be happier - thanks for the suggestions everyone. Now that I have a pair of proper boots, I'll probably be doing more serious hiking.