Quantcast

History Channel

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
Why is it all Jesus all the time? They call it 'The History Channel' - to me that implies history, not speculation, rhetoric, reality tv/entertainment weekly sensationalism. I've not had this channel for long. Is it/has it always been this way? What gives?

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
It's just crazy the things they consider history these days.... :shocked: It is like Jesus never existed or never had an impact on society or something like that. Just crazy.
That piece on ancient China today was pretty cool though.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
The History Channel. They are so unbiased. No really. Note how they almost never play 'evil' background music when describing one side in war or anything...

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
Week of Easter matters not. It's been this way for WEEKS, and if you look at their programming schedule, it seems they have devoted a lot to Religion in general.

Scary how religious the US has become in this day and age. What happened to the age of reason?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Week of Easter matters not. It's been this way for WEEKS, and if you look at their programming schedule, it seems they have devoted a lot to Religion in general.

Scary how religious the US has become in this day and age. What happened to the age of reason?
You give way too much credibility to a network that has a weekly show about UFOs. I'm guessing like every other network they have really have no agenda but are responding to ratings so they can sell advertisements.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.

I look at the History Channel's prime time schedule for last week and don't see a single show about Jesus.

I look at the History Channel's prime time schedule for the week before thta and don't see a single show about Jesus.

I look at the History Channel's prime time schedule for this week (you know the week of Easter) and it is peppered with shows about religion and Christianity.

What I find funny is that for your crowing about too much religion, I can find someone exactly like you crowing about there not being enough religion. Which leaves the folks in the middle pretty much annoyed at both sides.

EDIT: and furthermore saying religion is SUCH a huge part of our history it seems pretty logical to have shows about it and its impact.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Programming differs by provider/area, so what DRB gets isn't what spincrazy gets.

We recently switched TV providers from Comcast to Verizon and the only show I occasionally watch on TV which is on Discovery is filled with old episodes on Verizon vs. Comcast who was showing new content pretty often :rant:

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
fine, you win.

Not what I expected however. I'm sure I'm extra sensitive due to all the religious matter croppin up in pop culture over the last 5 years and GWB's constant rally cry to the zealots. I won't watch, Easter, Passover or whatever.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
I'm sure I'm extra sensitive due to all the religious matter croppin up in pop culture over the last 5 years and GWB's constant rally cry to the zealots.
so you've only been paying attention for the past 5 years...?

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
fine, you win.

Not what I expected however. I'm sure I'm extra sensitive due to all the religious matter croppin up in pop culture over the last 5 years and GWB's constant rally cry to the zealots. I won't watch, Easter, Passover or whatever.
You know, there are alot of legitimate battles to fight. Too much religion on ONE particular television channel is not it. Particularly when DRB just pwned you TWICE by proving your argument not only irrellevent, but also wrong.. :-)clapping: Rep for you DRB!)

In addition, as was said, religion is one of the BIGGEST influences/parts of history there is. If you are going to understand history, you need to understand religion. You don't have to believe in, or master any of them, but you should have a basic understanding.

Edit: Personally I've been seeing a whole lot of Rome stuff on the History Channel lately. I wish they would play the old Arms and Armour series again.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
There's no doubt The History Channel is pretty conservative. Here in Nippon we get lots and lots of stuff about the WW2, virtually all British or American but sometimes Japanese which is sometimes interesting. Now watching that excellent (old) BBC series "The World at War". Haven't noticed much Jesus stuff myself.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi

I saw this great historical documentary the other day...

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
that jesus is god incarnate is a matter of faith.
that jesus walked the earth is a matter of fact.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Well, that's omnipresence for you, combined with lax border control.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Well, that's omnipresence for you, combined with lax border control.
He does most of the landscaping and dishwashing in Virginia too. You can tell he has influence as some of the grocery stores have little sections just for him and his family.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Jesus has been gettin in shape
http://www.theonion.com/content/news/christ_getting_in_shape_for_second

Yeah, the History Channel generally blows. I've never seen anything on there about religion that seemed to be accurate, well made, balanced and all those good things. I appreciate the effort in some ways (some decent learning about religion could go a long way in this country), but the execution leaves something to be desired.