Quantcast

History of a guy called Palmer...(video)

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
You know the history of snowboarding from a class?

Christ I'm getting old
Done a snowboard instructor course(I was passing a test for a junior snowboard instructor allowing me to train other ppl at the end of it). The guys were making volountary lectures etc. Thought it would be nice to hear ;)
It's not that good around here ;)

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Ah.....

I hear "instructors" and "lectures" and think college formality.

Still, as a guy who started snowboarding in duck boots because there were no "snowboard" boots, the thought hearing about its history through others makes me feel ancient.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
Still, as a guy who started snowboarding in duck boots because there were no "snowboard" boots, the thought hearing about its history through others makes me feel ancient.
with you there; i've been boarding for over two decades now. i used to run ski boot liners (for a bit of additional stiffness) in sorels. foot pain was just a given.

Keyth

Chimp
Dec 9, 2001
Bend Oregon
Ah.....

I hear "instructors" and "lectures" and think college formality.

sorels and sims switchblade (edge came out after 1 seasin, took another season to get warrentied) here

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
with you there; i've been boarding for over two decades now. i used to run ski boot liners (for a bit of additional stiffness) in sorels. foot pain was just a given.
And I felt old with myself coming to 1decade (and riding to little because of stupid rescue heli bill :P) but the hype came a bit later to east eur. Still remember the "snowboarders not allowed" signs ;)

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
And I felt old with myself coming to 1decade (and riding to little because of stupid rescue heli bill :P) but the hype came a bit later to east eur. Still remember the "snowboarders not allowed" signs ;)
when i started (at mt baker) boarders were restricted to the bunny slope until they took a basic competancy test (ie, to verify you could turn, stop, etc), then you were issued a special pass that allowed you access to the rest of the mountain. weird to think some mountains at the time didn't even allow boards.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
when i started (at mt baker) boarders were restricted to the bunny slope until they took a basic competancy test (ie, to verify you could turn, stop, etc), then you were issued a special pass that allowed you access to the rest of the mountain. weird to think some mountains at the time didn't even allow boards.
Oh jeez. The dinky little mountain I rode at in Pennsylvania had a 3 tier certification. (Roundtop for the locals). It's even funnier to think of baker doing something like that. That was one of the first to open full bore if I remember correctly.