Quantcast

Hitch mount bike racks?

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
It will be holding a few DH bike and my 4x so I put this in the downhill forum.
I am looking for a hitch mount rack system for my audi a6 wagon.
I found one a few months ago but completely forgot which one it was.
I am looking for hitch mount (obviously) holds 3-4 bikes, tray style with a bar over the front tire to hold the bike and my biggest thing, it has to swing out and away from the car so that I can open the trunk door without having to take the bikes off.
Any recommendations and pics of current setups would be great.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
I really need a swinging tray style. The Yakima swingdaddy would work but it needs to be trays and not the top tube holding style.

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
as far as i know but i could be wrong but the thule tray type racks don't work to well with dh bikes as they don't accomodate the larger tyres. Pendel racks make a very simple and effective one but i don't think they are available in the usa

DirtBag

Monkey
Feb 1, 2006
RUFUS - Get the Thule T2 with the add on 2 bike carrier. It swings down low enough to use on your car. I have a Passatt wagon and I have plenty of room on mine.

I don't think anyone makes a swing-away for 4 bikes in a tray set-up. Plus I believe you need a 1.25" receiver for your car. When I searched for my hitch I could only find 1.25". Nobody made a 2" at the time. Maybe someone does now though..

But conversely I don't think you can use a 4 bike on a 1.25" receiver. The tongue weight will not support 4 bikes and the weight of the hitch... My hitch is a 200lb tongue weight. The rack alone weighs like 50lbs for a 2-bike...

Last edited:

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
The Thule dude at Interbike said they don't offer the swing-out feature for their T2 due to the overall weight limitations. Weak sauce if you ask me.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
The Thule dude at Interbike said they don't offer the swing-out feature for their T2 due to the overall weight limitations. Weak sauce if you ask me.
Automotive swingaway spare tire designs are pretty heavy duty and they are just holding up a spare right against the car. It wouldn't be feasible with DH bikes hanging that far off the back.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
It will be holding a few DH bike and my 4x so I put this in the downhill forum.
I am looking for a hitch mount rack system for my audi a6 wagon.
I found one a few months ago but completely forgot which one it was.
I am looking for hitch mount (obviously) holds 3-4 bikes, tray style with a bar over the front tire to hold the bike and my biggest thing, it has to swing out and away from the car so that I can open the trunk door without having to take the bikes off.
Any recommendations and pics of current setups would be great.
I think you better review what kind of hitch your car takes.

I believe the A6 wagon can only take a class 1 hitch, which is just 1 1/4 wide. All 1 1/4" hitch racks accept only 2 bikes.

There was a 1 1/4" to 2" adapter but I believe it was discontinued because of safety concerns.

While carrying 250 lbs of bikes and racks not exactly towing a Airstream, I would consider the extended weight and the road clearance.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
RUFUS, I was in a similar situation a while back, subaru wagon (door clearance) that I could only find a 1 1/4 hitch for....

I found a few other guys around here that had similar set-ups and found the way to make this work...at least it has for me for 3+ years.

I Have a T2 (it is actually made by sportworks right before Tule bought those designs) and run it most of the time with two trays and two DH bike. I also have add-ons and have put 3 or 4 DH bikes on the car with no issues. I can easily access my hatch with bikes on the rack no problem.

The key is to find a hitch/trailer shop and have them do one of two things..

1 build a 2" hitch for your car. Tell them what you are doing ie NOT hauling a boat with your audi.

or

2 (what I did) get a 1 1/4 hitch from draw-tite or similar and have the shop chop the receiver and weld on a 2" and some plates/gussets. IIRC it cost me around $80 to have my rack modded and it is super solid.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
This is a pretty bad idea.

Putting 4 heavy bikes on your car on a rack is not going to work out well. Unless you get some stiffer rear springs, it's going to ride low in the rear and high in the front. The further that weight is from the center the bigger the lever-arm is, so it's not just weight, it's torque. You're putting a huge amount of torque on the reciever and car when you do this. It's one of the reasons thule doesn't make a 4-bike T2 for a 1.25" hitch, just way too much torque.

Now, the 2-bike T2 does fold down and it will clear your rear hatch no problem...that's the entire reason they designed it to fold down (it clears the hatch on my wrx easy, and I can almost open the hatch without folding it down, the handlebar sticks out about 1" too far though).

It doesn't matter what kind of rack you find for this, it's not going to work out great, you'll risk damaging your car or breaking the rack. If we were talking about 3-4 relatively light bikes, maybe a different story, but with one 35lb bike and one 30lb bike my rack already makes the rear of my car sink down a bit, and I don't have super-soft springs, I can't imagine how crazy it would be with 2 DH bikes or 4 bikes. Not a good idea. Put two bikes in the rear or two bikes on a roof-rack, those 4-bike carriers are for bigger-more sturdy vehicles.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
This is a pretty bad idea.

Putting 4 heavy bikes on your car on a rack is not going to work out well. Unless you get some stiffer rear springs, it's going to ride low in the rear and high in the front. The further that weight is from the center the bigger the lever-arm is, so it's not just weight, it's torque. You're putting a huge amount of torque on the reciever and car when you do this. It's one of the reasons thule doesn't make a 4-bike T2 for a 1.25" hitch, just way too much torque.

Now, the 2-bike T2 does fold down and it will clear your rear hatch no problem...that's the entire reason they designed it to fold down (it clears the hatch on my wrx easy, and I can almost open the hatch without folding it down, the handlebar sticks out about 1" too far though).

It doesn't matter what kind of rack you find for this, it's not going to work out great, you'll risk damaging your car or breaking the rack. If we were talking about 3-4 relatively light bikes, maybe a different story, but with one 35lb bike and one 30lb bike my rack already makes the rear of my car sink down a bit, and I don't have super-soft springs, I can't imagine how crazy it would be with 2 DH bikes or 4 bikes. Not a good idea. Put two bikes in the rear or two bikes on a roof-rack, those 4-bike carriers are for bigger-more sturdy vehicles.
Thanks a lot for all the good info guys.
The 4 bike idea was a dream but it never hurt to see if there was something similar or if someone had done it.
I thought about just the 2 bike set up in the rear and then when we were using one car run run 1 roof rack.
Is there a pretty decent 2 bike system with a tray instead of the T2 style?
I don't mind running the roof rack but after having 3- 30-35lb bikes on the roof for the last Highland day I went through a full tank each way.

DirtBag

Monkey
Feb 1, 2006
I don't mind running the roof rack but after having 3- 30-35lb bikes on the roof for the last Highland day I went through a full tank each way.
What a drag (pun intended).

I really love my T2. Easy to put in, safe, strong, lockable...

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
I have to question that..

I know from experience... :plthumbsdown:
Your old post always haunts me when I am loading the bikes. I keep ckecking the those clamp pieces....but mine look fine. There are lots of sportworks T2s around here (sportworks is local) and I have never heard or seen the issues you had (LOTS of old sportworks racks bending, but..)....

But it always make me think about your issues whenever the bikes are on...

Sonic Reducer

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
seattle worshington
fwiw i have a 2003ish yakima fold down 3 bike on my legacy wagon. i have the adapter bars that hook around your seatpost and stem so accomodating nearly any bike is cake. ive had 3 DH bikes, a full load of people and gear, and have no problems with sagging. most wagons have stiffer rear springs(mine has 190lb/in). i cant imagine an A6 wagon having sagging issues even with 4 DH bikes. i'd find a rack that has the most ground clearance possible though. even with my subaru on stock springs, ive dragged the bike tires pulling into some steep roads. A6's are way lower.
definitely get a class 2 hitch reciever though, so that if you end up needing to tow a trailer you can. i got a 1" hitch reciever and its pretty much worthless for anything except the bike rack and a tow point/jacking point.

Last edited:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Your old post always haunts me when I am loading the bikes. I keep ckecking the those clamp pieces....but mine look fine. There are lots of sportworks T2s around here (sportworks is local) and I have never heard or seen the issues you had (LOTS of old sportworks racks bending, but..)....

But it always make me think about your issues whenever the bikes are on...
I know someone else with DH bikes who also experienced T2 failure but he still uses his.

I have a Yakima holdup now but I don't have any DH bikes anymore. The only negatives I have with that so far are the cheap bolts main tray bolts (they started rusting a week or two after I got my rack and I don't leave it out in the rain) and its heavy (actually slightly lighter than the T2 but more ackward to carry). The new Kuat tray racks sound cool - look forward to see them.

Flyingfish

Chimp
Nov 4, 2008
Toledo, OH
as far as i know but i could be wrong but the thule tray type racks don't work to well with dh bikes as they don't accomodate the larger tyres. Pendel racks make a very simple and effective one but i don't think they are available in the usa
nah thats what we use it works perfect

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
if you want to haul 4 DH bikes behind a car, you could just get a small trailer. They have some 4x6' trailers at Tractor Supply for around $350 or so. Then you wouldn't be destroying the unibody of your $40k car hanging 250 pounds off the hitch. They really don't take up any more space in your garage than a rack if you stand it up.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Thanks a lot for all the good info guys.
The 4 bike idea was a dream but it never hurt to see if there was something similar or if someone had done it.
I thought about just the 2 bike set up in the rear and then when we were using one car run run 1 roof rack.
I wouldn't give up on the hitch rack. A friend with a Suzuki wagon has a 2 bike hitch rack and 2 on the roof rack.

At least you can carry some of your bikes on the rear this way.

As for the best alternative for "T2" racks, I would look at this review: http://www.sicklines.com/reviews/hitch-mount-tray-style-rack-roundup/.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
4 bikes on the back of a wagon just aint gonna happen, sorry.
2 DH bikes on a T2 is sketchy at times on most cars. Think about how much weight we are talking about and how far cantilevered it is from the rear axle? $ bikes on my Tacoma WITH AIRBAGS on the rear suspension still makes the truck bounce funny. It's safe, but there is no way you could do it with a car.

Other options:
1.) Put 2 on the roof.
2.) Take off the wheels and put them on a toptube style rack
3.) Buy a truck

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I'm biased towards the T2, but that's cause mine has never failed me.
The Yakima version is ok, but when I used one, it wasn't as ridgid and the first bike's handlebars hit my rear window (vertical rear window)
Considering they are about the same money, go Thule.
That said, I would do some serious considering before dropping money on a rack and hitch. I thought I could do it with my Maxda6. After a year of dodging every driveway and speedbump, I bought a truck.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
My buddy runs the Swagman 4 bike carrier on his Honda Element with no problems. Ive seen 4 bike T2s on Honda Elements, too. The Swagman isnt as tough as the T2 IMO.

http://www.swagmanbikeracks.com/shopnew/product.php?productid=16164&cat=24&page=1

I still have an old Sportworks T2. Ive had no problems with it and I use it all the time. Its been to Whistler and back (1500 miles) about 10-15 times. Acadians pics always scare me though.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
4 bikes on the back of a wagon just aint gonna happen, sorry.
2 DH bikes on a T2 is sketchy at times on most cars. Think about how much weight we are talking about and how far cantilevered it is from the rear axle? $ bikes on my Tacoma WITH AIRBAGS on the rear suspension still makes the truck bounce funny. It's safe, but there is no way you could do it with a car.

Other options:
1.) Put 2 on the roof.
2.) Take off the wheels and put them on a toptube style rack
3.) Buy a truck
Agree, I love my T2 (and the fact that it saves me lots of gas $$ over a roof rack), but putting lots of weight out there is going to mean lots of torque, we're talking a huge load that has to be dealt with. Every time you go over a bump you can then magnify that that torque many times. Some people do it, but I wouldn't recommend this as any kind of permament solution.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
The North Shore rack would keep the weight closer to the car, not as much leverage.

I know right where that pic was taken too, bottom of Mount Seymour.

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
"I have a Yakima holdup now. The only negatives I have with that so far are the cheap bolts main tray bolts (they started rusting a week or two after I got my rack and I don't leave it out in the rain) and its heavy (actually slightly lighter than the T2 but more ackward to carry)."

On the plus side it is tough as hell. It hold 4 46 pound bikes on honda element with no issues. This rack is built to last for years and is much stronger then the t2 which I think it was modeled to beat

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
"I have a Yakima holdup now. The only negatives I have with that so far are the cheap bolts main tray bolts (they started rusting a week or two after I got my rack and I don't leave it out in the rain) and its heavy (actually slightly lighter than the T2 but more ackward to carry)."

On the plus side it is tough as hell. It hold 4 46 pound bikes on honda element with no issues. This rack is built to last for years and is much stronger then the t2 which I think it was modeled to beat
Post a pic please

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Some foo is going to make a swing away tray rack. From the ad in the Dec 08 issue of bike on pg. 67 it looks like they made their own bottom section but the trays are T2 trays in the photo (huh?):

http://www.mweracks.com/

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
spam:

I have a Yakima plus 2 bike rack with the add on for 4 total bikes, wheel sizes 20-29 (can easily hold 4 dh bikes) for sale CHEAP! Bought it two summers ago for my drive to live in whistler for the summer, came home got a pick up and it has been collecting dust since then. It has three brand new arms and one new rear wheel holder (long story, old 4runners aftermarket exhaust burned the plastic a tiny bit and they warrantied it) pm me if your interested

freeridefool

Monkey
Jun 17, 2006
medford, or
I had the thule t2 on my sti for awile. I got rear ended and it totalled the two bikes that were on it. My bike was on top of the car. But I loved the rack. It got kinda scary when I was going to fast on dirt roads but I attribute that to my car not the rack.