Quantcast

hmmm..any info on these?

Fulton

Monkey
Nov 9, 2001
word on the streets is that ti doesn't make the best material for rotors..............

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I know enough to know that you need specially designed pads to run Ti rotors, or it's all F-ed up. I also know that while there are one or two companies out there trying to make them, that it would be hard to consider them "total sucesses".

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
In the aero industry, it's either steel, or carbon brakes (not to be confused with carbon fiber).

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Originally posted by zedro
believe they're sometimes refered as carbon-carbon (carbon in a carbon matrix)
yep.

BTW, they save about 2000lbs on the 747. (that might be on my test tomorrow).

Fulton

Monkey
Nov 9, 2001
Originally posted by v10"o-PlEaSuRe
what/ how can i contact, this company that makes these supposed ti dh rotors?

Here's a link to the company:

http://www.xacd.com.cn/product.asp?rootcl=1&cls=8

their located in china, and prefer to work direct with customers. The only form ofpayment the take is a bank wire transfer. The prices are pretty affordable. I can't comment on the quality of the product. They make cheap ti frames for around $400, a few guys over on mtbr have had problems with them cracking though.....

Feb 10, 2003
A, A
Originally posted by Fulton
Here's a link to the company:

http://www.xacd.com.cn/product.asp?rootcl=1&cls=8

their located in china, and prefer to work direct with customers. The only form ofpayment the take is a bank wire transfer. The prices are pretty affordable. I can't comment on the quality of the product. They make cheap ti frames for around $400, a few guys over on mtbr have had problems with them cracking though.....
im guessing i have to call to get pricing?

odiwik

Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
I think the only true disadvantage of using titanium over anything else is it's relatively low performance in dissipating thermal energy... For racing, I don't think this would be a problem, as long as those Ti rotors were coated with some type of ceramic to make up for the lack of friction... Then it wouldn't need special pads.

If you were going for a day trip to whistler, then the Ti rotors might be a prob.

Either way, I wouldn't buy those. Not only are they warped, but who knows if they've been coated an appropriate ceramic.

Fulton

Monkey
Nov 9, 2001
Originally posted by odiwik
I think the only true disadvantage of using titanium over anything else is it's relatively low performance in dissipating thermal energy... For racing, I don't think this would be a problem, as long as those Ti rotors were coated with some type of ceramic to make up for the lack of friction... Then it wouldn't need special pads.

If you were going for a day trip to whistler, then the Ti rotors might be a prob.

Either way, I wouldn't buy those. Not only are they warped, but who knows if they've been coated an appropriate ceramic.
they haven't been coated with anything, raw ti

auntesther

Monkey
Oct 15, 2001
Boston, MA
Originally posted by Village Idiot
I think sinister is working on some Ti disc rotors.
I am pretty sure that was scrapped because the couldnt find a pad compound that worked well with them...and i beleieve the squealed so bad they made your bleed. I did see them in person though and they were really cool looking.

DIRTWRKS

Monkey
Aug 13, 2003
Canada EH !
Hi,

I think the problem resides in getting aproper pad compound for use with Ti

If anyone is interested in Ti rotors you should check out this site.

The question has come up many times on many biking sites and a guy named Scott Rider responded on another site about this and said he would be willing to work with anyone interested in producing a Ti rotors for DH biking etc.

His firm already makes these for ATV and Karting applications

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
I may be way off and I don't feel like walking the 20 feet to ask our machinist but it seems that titanium metal shavings are flamable, nearly as flammable as magnesium. I'd hate to be hauling down a hill when my rotors go up in flames.

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
Originally posted by odiwik
as long as those Ti rotors were coated with some type of ceramic to make up for the lack of friction... Then it wouldn't need special pads.

But even a ceramic coating will wear away. Anyone I know that had ceramic rims(including myself) lost the coating after some use. I would think discs would take that coating off quick.

mikedee69

Chimp
May 9, 2003
Van City
I don't know too much about Ti, I do know that in certain applications it just ain't right. A Ti rotor isn't really going to save too much weight considering the standard stainless rotors really don't wiegh all that much in the grand scheme of things. If it the rotating wieght your concerned with, well the rotors are so close to the center of the wheel that it not going to make a huge difference.
Coatings on Stanchion tubes like TiN (Titanium Nitride) is used to reduce friction. I can only assume that Ti it self has some kind of low friction properties, not good for brake rotors. I also know that it, as mentioned earlier, does not conduct heat well. You can sink heat into it and it just holds on to it, also not good for a braking system.
You will probably take more wieght off your bike, and spend less money, by replacing all the fasteners with Ti ones.

Ti springs are good though.....

Fulton

Monkey
Nov 9, 2001
Originally posted by Kornphlake
I may be way off and I don't feel like walking the 20 feet to ask our machinist but it seems that titanium metal shavings are flamable, nearly as flammable as magnesium. I'd hate to be hauling down a hill when my rotors go up in flames.
I remember reading on one of the mtbr forums that some ti rotors did that while they were testing them!

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Originally posted by mikedee69

Coatings on Stanchion tubes like TiN (Titanium Nitride) is used to reduce friction. I can only assume that Ti it self has some kind of low friction properties, not good for brake rotors. I also know that it, as mentioned earlier, does not conduct heat well. You can sink heat into it and it just holds on to it, also not good for a braking system.

TiN coatings are used for marketing, not friction reduction. TiN coating was developed for metal working tools. It helps tools resist the wear caused by over heating the cutting edges. It adds nothing in the way of lubricity. It does however, make for really cool gold stanchions. And expensive looking drill bits that they sell at home depot to suckers.

On your second note about how Ti reacts with heat. I have alot of experience with this and you are absolutely correct. I think we should stick with SS. Alum would actually work better at disapating heat from your braking system than SS or Ti.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
Originally posted by Fulton
I remember reading on one of the mtbr forums that some ti rotors did that while they were testing them!
dude, if Ti rotors spark and flame up when you brake, i'm like so getting them.

I dont know whats wrong with you guys; last time i checked, fire was cool....

mikedee69

Chimp
May 9, 2003
Van City
Originally posted by buildyourown
I think we should stick with SS. Alum would actually work better at disapating heat from your braking system than SS or Ti.

If only you could get that pesky co efficent of thermal expansion down a little bit on the Al. Aluminum expands too much and requires hard anodizing to be useful as a brake rotor. But it does a darn good job of conducting heat though.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Originally posted by Acadian
BTW...those look at A2Z Teppan rotors...
SEE HERE
Wow, now we can get ugly ass gold rotors to match ugly ass gold brakes.:devil:

Have you ever seen these things before or heard any feedback?

Like a good consumer, I'm reading their website and nodding "yes, your product intrigues me and I would like to subscribe to your newsletter".

Sounds like decent aftermarket stuff.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Originally posted by Orven
I love unnecessary upgrades....:)
Eh.

The geek aspect of bikes is very appealing. You consider them unnecessary but, like a lot of things, knowing its there and having it proven on paper that it's 0.00832% better is sometimes all that matters.

Never harass someone for sinking money into an industry that doesn't have enough money as it is...

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.
Originally posted by kidwoo
People who ride nicolai suspension bicycles are never allowed to deem anything on someone else's bike as "unnecessary". It just ain't right.:)
You're lucky I don't whore Nicolais..... :p
and those frame holes are necessary, dammit!!! :D

Anyways, if anyone comes up with a carbon disc rotor (ala F1) or an oil-cooled 4 piston caliper, let me know...:)