Quantcast

HMX Disc to 22mm frame mount?

Str8Dwn

Chimp
Dec 4, 2001
ATL
Is there an adapter for the mechanical Hayes HMX-1 brake to fit a Hayes 22mm direct mount? Anyone?

sub6

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
williamsburg, va
Jensonusa.com sells them.

There are three in existence that I know of - A to Z Components, Woodman Components, and Shimano.

They almost invariably DON'T WORK if your 22mm mount is on the CHAINSTAY. There isn't enough room for the adapter and the caliper to fit under the seatstay. With the possible exception of a Lawwil design like an old Tomac or Yeti/Schwinn.

If it's on your seatstay, or there's no other obstructions, it'll work fine.

Str8Dwn

Chimp
Dec 4, 2001
ATL
I appreciate the help on this one. Mine is located on the chainstay as its on a Klein Mantra frame I am currently borrowing. It is from the days of the uncertainty from frame manufacturers on which bolt pattern to use. I will take a look at the pic and the frame to see if things will work.

THanks again!

KonaDude

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Victoria, BC, Canada.
If you haven't already bought it, try to avoid doing so. There are better brakes out there for the money (That is, if you can get anything to work).

Shimano's Deore Hydro discs are cheaper and work really well.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
Originally posted by Str8Dwn
I appreciate the help on this one. Mine is located on the chainstay as its on a Klein Mantra frame I am currently borrowing. It is from the days of the uncertainty from frame manufacturers on which bolt pattern to use. I will take a look at the pic and the frame to see if things will work.

THanks again!

no it wont work on there ive got a klein too and there just isnt enough space to put the 22mm direct to 51mm IS, and then the IS to 74mm rear hayes adapter there...
bummer.

Str8Dwn

Chimp
Dec 4, 2001
ATL
Originally posted by vitox

no it wont work on there ive got a klein too and there just isnt enough space to put the 22mm direct to 51mm IS, and then the IS to 74mm rear hayes adapter there...
bummer.
Thanks for the heads up. It sux that it won't work, but it would have sucked even more if had ordered all those brackets and the caliper. I really appreciate it.

Ryan

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
no problem

on the other hand you know hayes is coming out with a cheap and all-metal hydro brake for 2003, if they make it in 22mm caliper or at least compatible so you can just buy a caliper half, then that should be your low cash ticket to disks